2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

17 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I can't see GA trying to re-sign a player we had previously brought in, gave him a chance discovered he was utter pish and not up to standard and was subsequently punted, St Mirren are welcome to him.

Why not , he gave Jake Carrol an extension and he will never make a footballer if he lives to be a 100.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, weeyin said:

Whoever we bring in, the one guarantee is that there will be people on here posting they're not good enough after 45 mins of game time.

45 mins that long ! It's usually before the player has kicked a ball that they are written off :yes:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up this from another site:

First team squad and their contracts

GOALKEEPERS
Liam Kelly (2024)
Scott Fox (2023)
PJ Morrison (2022 - loan to Alloa)

DEFENDERS
Max Johnston (2023 loan to QoS)
Stephen O'Donnell (2023)
David Devine (2023 loan to E. Fife)
Darragh O'Connor (2022 loan to QoS)
 Sondre Solholm Johansen (2024) Liam Grimshaw (2022)
Jake Carroll (2023)
Ricki Lamie (2022)
Nathan McGinley (2024)
Bevis Mugabi (2024) 
Juhani Ojala (2023)
Victor Nirennold (2022)

MIDFIELDERS
Ross Tierney (2025) 
Barry Maguire (2024)
Dean Cornelius (2023)

Mark O'Hara (2022)
Liam Donnelly (2022)
Callum Slattery (2024)
Sean Goss (2023)
Liam Shaw (loaned from Celtic)

FORWARDS
Connor Shields (2024)
Kevin Van Veen (2023)

Kaiyne Woolery (2024)
Justin Amaluzor (2022)
Jordan Roberts (2022)
Joe Efford (2023)

That’s a total of  29 players in our first team squad. That’s far too many and a cull is required.  IMO, including goalkeepers, it should be kept to a maximum of 22 players. That would mean getting rid of 7 players but given O’Hara, Lamie and Shaw will be leaving us, we only need to drop another 4 to achieve a squad of 22 players.

Next, the players I’ve highlighted in bold and italics (11) are the only ones that I would retain. This means we would be on the look out to add 11 players to our first team squad.  Whilst I know this is radical and drastic we must purge all the dross and deadwood. In doing so we could free-up much needed cash to be used to help find replacements and in this respect I we must prioritise quality over quantity.  I know it’s a big ask to get shot of 11 players and that it probably can’t happen in one tranche, but it’s by no means an impossible task. It was an aspect of management in which Tommy McLean excelled for us.  Over time he gradually wheeled and dealed players out and in until the quality of the squad was to his liking and standards. If we have the right manager in place this could be replicated.

Oh and we must cease looking to non-league and lower league clubs in England for players. This policy has produced quantity not quality and with a couple of exceptions has introduced far to much dross into the club.

You need 3 keepers surely.  If one is injured or suspended you need two for the match day squad.

You are missing the boy Mahon we have signed.

In general you are correct, a more compact squad will focus things for all of us.

The larger squad is deliberate due to covid, as mentioned above. GA has said a few times he prefers a smaller squad.

We have about 10 leaving in a few months by the looks of it, so would expect 3 or 4 to come in. What positions they fill is anyone's guess.

McGinley isn't going anywhere wheher we like it or not. We literally just re-signed him.

The same goes for anyone else under contract, especially those with another 2 years left. Unless they explicitly ask to leave and we're happy for them to, we can't afford to pay out on their contract and pay for their replacement. No one is going to come and take them off our hands, with them being shite and all.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, El Grew said:

Picked up this from another site:

First team squad and their contracts

GOALKEEPERS
Liam Kelly (2024)
Scott Fox (2023)
PJ Morrison (2022 - loan to Alloa)

DEFENDERS
Max Johnston (2023 loan to QoS)
Stephen O'Donnell (2023)
David Devine (2023 loan to E. Fife)
Darragh O'Connor (2022 loan to QoS)
 Sondre Solholm Johansen (2024) Liam Grimshaw (2022)
Jake Carroll (2023)
Ricki Lamie (2022)
Nathan McGinley (2024)
Bevis Mugabi (2024) 
Juhani Ojala (2023)
Victor Nirennold (2022)

MIDFIELDERS
Ross Tierney (2025) 
Barry Maguire (2024)
Dean Cornelius (2023)

Mark O'Hara (2022)
Liam Donnelly (2022)
Callum Slattery (2024)
Sean Goss (2023)
Liam Shaw (loaned from Celtic)

FORWARDS
Connor Shields (2024)
Kevin Van Veen (2023)

Kaiyne Woolery (2024)
Justin Amaluzor (2022)
Jordan Roberts (2022)
Joe Efford (2023)

That’s a total of  29 players in our first team squad. That’s far too many and a cull is required.  IMO, including goalkeepers, it should be kept to a maximum of 22 players. That would mean getting rid of 7 players but given O’Hara, Lamie and Shaw will be leaving us, we only need to drop another 4 to achieve a squad of 22 players.

Next, the players I’ve highlighted in bold and italics (11) are the only ones that I would retain. This means we would be on the look out to add 11 players to our first team squad.  Whilst I know this is radical and drastic we must purge all the dross and deadwood. In doing so we could free-up much needed cash to be used to help find replacements and in this respect I we must prioritise quality over quantity.  I know it’s a big ask to get shot of 11 players and that it probably can’t happen in one tranche, but it’s by no means an impossible task. It was an aspect of management in which Tommy McLean excelled for us.  Over time he gradually wheeled and dealed players out and in until the quality of the squad was to his liking and standards. If we have the right manager in place this could be replicated.

Oh and we must cease looking to non-league and lower league clubs in England for players. This policy has produced quantity not quality and with a couple of exceptions has introduced far to much dross into the club.

The worry is obviously the amount of players we can’t release due to still being under contract (19 if I’m counting correctly). There is a good dozen there I would like to see leave, sadly it’s not going to happen. However it’s Alexander that signed a good few of them so he now has to find a way of making it work.

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its not impossible that Ricki Lamie could do a U turn and re-sign if Dundee go down.

I’m not convinced we should take him, I would be happy with a whole new back line for next season but know that’s not going to happen. Gallagher will be released by Aberdeen and he’s better than anything we have now alongside another capable centre half. I know I’m on my own with this one but we’ve literally not got a single player at the back I trust other than Kelly who on his own has got the lot of them out of trouble time and again.

• Like 1

The way I see it is every summer we pick up 7 or 8 mediocre players and hope we can transform a couple of them into good players.  This summer we have 7 or 8 players out of contract so we should be able to bring in another raft of players to pick from.  Hopefully we can find that one diamond amongst them.  From last batch I would say Woolery, Slattery, Solholm Johanson, Van Veen, Teirney, Sheilds, goss and Efford are worth persevering with I'm counting Kelly as the diamond.  

It's easier said that done but we should be bringing in half the amount of players that leave this summer and looking to bring in a better standard of player,we have a recruitment team and manager that are getting paid to improve us with in that area.other than the goalkeeping department we need to improve,if we could add one good player to the defence, midfield and up front it would be a great start and could make all the difference at this level.by all accounts johnstone and oconner are doing well on loan so there's two younger players that could be brought into contention without going and bringing in any lower league english gambles.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 1:36 PM, Yorkyred said:

I’m not convinced we should take him, I would be happy with a whole new back line for next season but know that’s not going to happen. Gallagher will be released by Aberdeen and he’s better than anything we have now alongside another capable centre half. I know I’m on my own with this one but we’ve literally not got a single player at the back I trust other than Kelly who on his own has got the lot of them out of trouble time and again.

Have you watched Gallagher , hes been utter pish at Aberdeen and frankly his last season with us he was nowhere near as good as he was the season before. That said with one leg hes better than Ojala and Solholm 

Gallagher must be odds on to end up at St Mirren, assuming  they are in the SPL and Robinson is still in charge.

He was great for us for a season, then blotted his copybook with all the issues over his contract. I can't see him coming back here, though stranger things have happened.

we need improvements in the back line for sure and agree all could/should be replaced (albeit I've a soft spot for S'OD if we played a 3-5-2) 

What takes the jam out my donut is resigning players not good enough to hold down the first team slot.  We've done that with Carrol, McGinley, Fox, Roberts and to be controversial Mugabi - we need to stop giving out contracts to those who don't cut it.

No interest in having Gallagher back. Whether he could recreate the form of his first season is in itself questionable, but given the nature of his departure, it would create a more toxic atmosphere with the fans than there exists already.  We need to identify fresh blood.

The more I see Gallagher the more I think we got his last good season out of him.

Whatever defenders we bring in, we need players that can stay fit. Continuity is especially important in the defensive unit and we've really struggled this season to field the same back four in consecutive games.

• Like 1

Sol and Ojala looked really good to start with both but tailed off to being terrible and slow, while lamie progressed from total bombscare to arguably our best defender. My guess is theyre all somewhere in the middle. I'd be very surprised if we're not in the market for a new first choice center back.

I'm not going to get worked up about re-signing an experienced backup goalie, the Gillespie/Carson season was a total accident. Just like we ended up with Watt and KVV for a bit there.

Was listening to a podcast earlier, and they mentioned Regan Charles Cook as the most improved player this year, which is hard to disagree with. Wonder if any of our squad could be candidates next year if we don't hunt them with pitchforks.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Brilliant post, lets offer a contract to a defender whose team got relegated from the league below us. Same as people on here going on about Thomas etc playing good football at Dunfermline, play off place now . GET REAL WE ARE A TOP TEAM AND NEED TOP QUALITY PLAYERS.!!!! ;)

We better alert Rangers that we are after Tavernier now!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

I see Jamie McCart, Shaun Rooney and Callum Hendry are all out of contract at St. Johnstone at the end of the season.  Are any of them worth consideration?

Not really seen enough of McCart or Hendry to comment. Id have had either of their dads though!

Rooney I would take all day long. Would definitely give us options on the right side either at full back or right midfield. 

• David locked this topic