2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

I see Jamie McCart, Shaun Rooney and Callum Hendry are all out of contract at St. Johnstone at the end of the season.  Are any of them worth consideration?

Would happily take McCart and hendry.  Rooney a right back and we already have SOD and young max returning

13 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Would happily take McCart and hendry.  Rooney a right back and we already have SOD and young max returning

Id forgotten about Max Johnston. Id love him to get game time, develop and become a fixture in the team. Just not sure he will get that chance. However, Rooney is proven at our level. If we could get him on a free and get some of our dead wood out the door, he would be an asset as he can play a number of positions very well.

• Like 1

Mccart has dropped off this season, and so has Rooney (including injuries). Either would be good for us if they got their form back, but so would half our players.

Hendry is weird, they loaned him out to Aberdeen last season and killie this year. Is he high maintenance?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Brilliant post, lets offer a contract to a defender whose team got relegated from the league below us. Same as people on here going on about Thomas etc playing good football at Dunfermline, play off place now . GET REAL WE ARE A TOP TEAM AND NEED TOP QUALITY PLAYERS.!!!! ;)

he's a young defender who got injured and was loaned out - playing for a poor team doesn't make him poor. 

Id be keen to give O'Conner and Max J a run out between now and the end of the season to see if they are good enough. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Brilliant post, lets offer a contract to a defender whose team got relegated from the league below us. Same as people on here going on about Thomas etc playing good football at Dunfermline, play off place now . GET REAL WE ARE A TOP TEAM AND NEED TOP QUALITY PLAYERS.!!!! ;)

I think you're confused about the difference between an individual player and a team.

For example, in Faddy's 2002/03 season, he scored 19 goals in 34 appearances and won Young Player of the Year.

We finished bottom of the league that season and only avoided relegation thanks to the seated stadium situation at Falkirk.

43 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

he's a young defender who got injured and was loaned out - playing for a poor team doesn't make him poor. 

Id be keen to give O'Conner and Max J a run out between now and the end of the season to see if they are good enough. 

They are registered to QOTS

12 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

was ambitiously hoping as the season for QOTS was finished we'd be be able to get them back for a few games. 

Transfer windows are really registration windows, the next one isn’t open

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 12:05 PM, El Grew said:

Picked up this from another site:

First team squad and their contracts

GOALKEEPERS
Liam Kelly (2024)
Scott Fox (2023)
PJ Morrison (2022 - loan to Alloa)

DEFENDERS
Max Johnston (2023 loan to QoS)
Stephen O'Donnell (2023)
David Devine (2023 loan to E. Fife)
Darragh O'Connor (2022 loan to QoS)
 Sondre Solholm Johansen (2024) Liam Grimshaw (2022)
Jake Carroll (2023)
Ricki Lamie (2022)
Nathan McGinley (2024)
Bevis Mugabi (2024) 
Juhani Ojala (2023)
Victor Nirennold (2022)

MIDFIELDERS
Ross Tierney (2025) 
Barry Maguire (2024)
Dean Cornelius (2023)

Mark O'Hara (2022)
Liam Donnelly (2022)
Callum Slattery (2024)
Sean Goss (2023)
Liam Shaw (loaned from Celtic)

FORWARDS
Connor Shields (2024)
Kevin Van Veen (2023)

Kaiyne Woolery (2024)
Justin Amaluzor (2022)
Jordan Roberts (2022)
Joe Efford (2023)

That’s a total of  29 players in our first team squad. That’s far too many and a cull is required.  IMO, including goalkeepers, it should be kept to a maximum of 22 players.

It’s a pretty terrifying list.

From this, realistically you’d need to be looking at a serviceable premier league first team of:

———————-—-Kelly

O’donnell/Johnston--Solholm/Bevis—X—X

———-—-Slattery—-X——X

—-X———Van Veen————X

Subs:

Fox

Morrisson

Maguire

Ojala

Cornelius 

Shields

Woolery

Tierney

Offloading 

Mcginley

Carroll (out of contract)

Grimshaw (out of contract)

Lamie (pre)

Nierenoold (out of contract)

Goss (shite)

Shaw

Donnelly (contract)

O’Hara (contract)

Amaluzor (contract)

Roberts (contract)

Efford (shite)

IMO 

The scary part here is that realistically, I see us needing 6 first team starters next season whilst offloading deadwood or utter garbage like Goss, Efford and McGinley to avoid going into next season as favorites for the drop. I agree with the 22/23 first team squad approach. I’ve been crying out for years that culling the squad to that number and condensing 6 salaries into 2/3 would be enough to all but ensure us top six in Scotland.  I’m beyond the point of even considering Alexander of being up to the job so the question in my mind now lands at the board - who within that group has the vision for the footballing side of things to make the infrastructural changes required?

• Like 2

On 4/30/2022 at 11:46 AM, joewarkfanclub said:

Not really seen enough of McCart or Hendry to comment. Id have had either of their dads though!

Rooney I would take all day long. Would definitely give us options on the right side either at full back or right midfield. 

Forget it. We have a manager who only looks down south 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ppower said:

Forget it. We have a manager who only looks down south 

He signed Connor Shields  and Tierney and Mahon from Ireland......

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

He signed Connor Shields  and Tierney and Mahon from Ireland......

Also signed Sam Foley from St Mirren and Robbie Crawford from Livi.

And Ojala and Sol and Efford.

There's an argument to be had about how good or bad his signing policy is, but I wouldn't say he's blinkered to a particular market, when we have Sol, Ojala, efford, neirenold, and the Irish weans.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

McCart has been excellent every time Ive seen him - I believe he's better than any defender we currently have .

Suspect it depends on what happens with St.J come the end of the season.  We must offer similar salary etc. 

100%..he always looked composed on the ball and does not get beat easily. I would love to see him in a Well jersey.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Suspect it depends on what happens with St.J come the end of the season.  We must offer similar salary etc. 

I think St Johnstone may pay a bit more than us  but not 100% certain. It may be that they push the boat out a bit more for certain targets. Happy to be corrected though.

Mccart was excellent for st johnstone last season much like there whole team but has struggled this time around.judging by some of the comments I've read from there fans the change in formation this season hasn't helped mccart,he seems to play better in a back 3.he would be a good shout for the left sided centre half role if lamie does indeed move on but I would think he done more than enough last season to get a decent enough move down south.

What about the boy Devlin that got freed from Aberdeen, I know he hasn’t been fit for a year, but he was a decent player, when we look at Michel Parker and the Big French dude think he is worth a punt .

Hopefully KVV can cut out the stupid cheap bookings moving forward, I know in some eyes he can do no wrong but I do find him very frustrating at times, but no doubt when on form he is so key for us,  couple of goals today please KVV

• Like 1

• David locked this topic