2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

Pretty fair assessment. 

I think in normal times a club our size should be trying to run with a squad of around 22 first team players and supplement from the youths when required. It allows for the best use of funds to attract as high a quality of player as possible.

I think 3 new quality targetted signings would improve us more than the previous strategy of throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I think defensively if Lamie stays and with O'Connor and Johnston coming back, we have enough cover there so Id be looking to improve the midfield and up front. We could do with another player of Slatterys quality to supplement him in midfield and also cover for his inevitible suspensions. Whether thats possible remains to he seen.

We definitely need another out and out striker. Probably more for cover for KVV as we dont really have anyone else with the physical presence he has to win headers and hold the ball up.

The 3rd signing for me will depend on what happens with Lamie and how well we do with signings 1 & 2. Hopefully we can get our business done early and get the players in for our European adventure.

Going to be an interesting close season.

• Like 1

We may have enough bodies for defence and yes as has been mentioned we have had more disruption and injuries in this area than any other.

All that said we have conceded the 3rd most goals in the league this season. 55 in total which will no doubt be a few more come FT tomorrow. As poor as Hibs and Aberdeen have been this season they have conceded almost double figures less and in the case of Hibs only 42.

I am not happy with LB situation. I think both options are not top flight standard. Clearly the Manager thinks otherwise. We need to try and get a settled back 4 as it would surely help. 

I never thought I would say this but I would be much happier if Lamie stayed on. He is probably ahead of Sol and Ojala in terms of reliability. And certainly goal scoring threat.

4 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I am not happy with LB situation. I think both options are not top flight standard. Clearly the Manager thinks otherwise. We need to try and get a settled back 4 as it would surely help. 

I never thought I would say this but I would be much happier if Lamie stayed on. He is probably ahead of Sol and Ojala in terms of reliability. And certainly goal scoring threat.

You're not the only one. I think both Carroll and McGinley are decent back-ups, but not what I'd call first-choice. I don't see anyone else coming through the youth setup who will be challenging them either, so I think it's one of two for next season unless we sign someone.

All things considered, if we can get a decent run with a defence consisting of McGinley, Lamie, Mugabi, and O'Donnell I think we should be okay. There's absolutely room for improvement though, and I hope we see the likes of young Johnston and O'Connor pushing our regular starters all the way.

I agree about the left back situation, but when we've lined up with a conventional back 3 and O'Donnell and Carroll as wingbacks, we've actually been pretty solid. Well apart from when Ojala has been moving at walking-pace.

We definitely need a back up for van Veen. Our other strikers have different styles and when KVV isn't playing we really miss his hold-up play.

Every season I also say we need another creative midfielder, and this season is no different. A fit Goss has been an improvement, but again, we need more than one choice to be available. Wouldn't mind Reece McAlear making a return to Fir Park.

30 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Keep Kelly, Lamie, SOD, Beavis,  Slattery,  Cornelius, Woolery, Van Veen.

Get rid of the rest. IMO

Unfortunately, if they're under contract we can't get rid unless they agree to leave or another club wants to take them. 

A great post from David with lots of great assessments.  Not much I can add apart from fact we need a left back. Just my opinion but Carroll and McGinley are not good enough and been at fault for a lot of goals this season. Fact McGinley got new 2yr deal is bewildering. Maybe next season they will improve but I doubt it.   Johansen is another I would move on if we were offered decent money. Looked a good signing but has gradually went downhill..COYW

The two major areas for concern are defence and midfield.

Defence

We need to become much harder to score against to give ourselves a solid platform to play from. In that respect I think we need 2 centre-backs and a left-back.

Midfield

I think we need a passer/playmaker who can bring our strikers more into play instead of firing long balls up to them.  Also somebody who can play the ‘mopper-up’ role between the defence and half-way line.

Forwards

I don’t think we are too bad here. Connor Shields has come on a fair bit now that he is starting regularly and could be a big player for us next season.

Other than that good to go. COYW.

31 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Would Tom Rogic Celtic’s wizard of Oz be good for us?  

I wouldnt imagine he would be interested in the wages we could offer......

The thing to remember about Solholm, and I presume Ojala, is that he (they) came from Scandi countries where I think they play in the summer so they've had no break before going straight into a long season with us. I suspect Ojala has been playing through injury too. Might explain the dip in form and Ojala's recent lack of pace. Let's see what a break and a pre-season brings.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The thing to remember about Solholm, and I presume Ojala, is that he (they) came from Scandi countries where I think they play in the summer so they've had no break before going straight into a long season with us. I suspect Ojala has been playing through injury too. Might explain the dip in form and Ojala's recent lack of pace. Let's see what a break and a pre-season brings.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see if a proper pre season makes a difference for some, including the cultural Scandinavians. I know Sheilds had an injury early in the season, and our signings were spread throughout the windows, so hopefully there will be a little more cohesion next season with a slightly smaller rebuild required.

Ojala and Sol looked good initially, so I'm hoping the long season really is the issue for both of them, but Ojala runs like he needs a hip replacement, and has been subbed off frequently, so I think there's a bigger issue there.

9 minutes ago, Haggischomper said:

Sensible post Haggis - facts overlooked by some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

What a ridiculous question, 'Hey Tom, we're prepared to let you leave ever though you still have a year on yir contract', Oh can I sign for Motherwell', have you ever considered a career as a comedian. Seriously if you are going to to post something, post something credible :huh:

That’s ridicule. Expect the wrath.

• Haha 1

• David locked this topic