2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

What a ridiculous question, 'Hey Tom, we're prepared to let you leave ever though you still have a year on yir contract', Oh can I sign for Motherwell', have you ever considered a career as a comedian. Seriously if you are going to to post something, post something credible :huh:

I don't think he was being serious, anyway he still wouldn't game ahead of Goss

• Like 1

I know some on here hate us bringing players back in but I'd think James Scott would be a loan option next year. 

Hull still in the Championship so got some money to spend, his spell at Hibs didn't set the Heather alight (though he seems to be getting more minutes now). From what he was doing before he left us I think he could work as part of the the front three formation we play.

Though I'm sure if he was available we'd face stiff competition from St Mirren.

I wouldn't be against Scott returning, if he's played in the same wide role and we also bring back Ariyibi to benefit from his dirty work.

I think Hibs we're playing him through the middle, where he's less effective .

2 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

I know some on here hate us bringing players back in but I'd think James Scott would be a loan option next year. 

Hull still in the Championship so got some money to spend, his spell at Hibs didn't set the Heather alight (though he seems to be getting more minutes now). From what he was doing before he left us I think he could work as part of the the front three formation we play.

Though I'm sure if he was available we'd face stiff competition from St Mirren.

I would think Hibs supporters would be delighted if we took Scott as they were certainly not wanting Hibs to take him for next season!

4 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

What a ridiculous question, 'Hey Tom, we're prepared to let you leave ever though you still have a year on yir contract', Oh can I sign for Motherwell', have you ever considered a career as a comedian. Seriously if you are going to to post something, post something credible :huh:

Hiya pot, hiya pal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

I would think Hibs supporters would be delighted if we took Scott as they were certainly not wanting Hibs to take him for next season!

Aye, he's not performed at Hibs but he's shown in his time with us and in his early time at Hull that he has something about him if deployed right.  

No insider info or anything. Just pulled out my arse for a bit of discussion 

14 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Aye, he's not performed at Hibs but he's shown in his time with us and in his early time at Hull that he has something about him if deployed right.  

No insider info or anything. Just pulled out my arse for a bit of discussion 

He only got 6 starts at Hibs, 3 at each end of the season and most of them were up top on his own.  Maloney basically ghosted him. 

Apparently he was Hibs best player last time out against Dundee but you can understand why Hibs fans would want a very large broom going through there.

You can never know quite how injuries and lack of game time can effect players, especially younger players, but I'd take him back. 

I would certainly take a chance on Scott. He’s young, strong, pretty decent pace, and does have a level of technical ability. Putting all that together that’s superior to a good few of our normal summer signings over the last five years.

15 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Take it you don't know Celtic have announced Rogic and Bitton are leaving at the end of the season

3 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I would certainly take a chance on Scott. He’s young, strong, pretty decent pace, and does have a level of technical ability. Putting all that together that’s superior to a good few of our normal summer signings over the last five years.

He certainly has the physical presence and hold up play to give us cover for KVV.  Wouldnt be the worst decision. My main reservation would be that it would likely be on loan and you are then back in the realms of developing someone elses player.  He is however a known quantity. Just depends if you favour that over making a permanent signing that may or may not work.

9 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Another ridiculous post, straight out of the Pub and posting, you really should know better. It's your baby right enough;)

Another who doesn't know me, you attack a poster for posting 'nonsense' but have had your own thread closed for your outlandish claims and circular arguments.
Who's being ridiculous?

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He only got 6 starts at Hibs, 3 at each end of the season and most of them were up top on his own.  Maloney basically ghosted him. 

Apparently he was Hibs best player last time out against Dundee but you can understand why Hibs fans would want a very large broom going through there.

You can never know quite how injuries and lack of game time can effect players, especially younger players, but I'd take him back. 

I'd be happy to see him back too - we missed him the second half of the season after we sold him.

If he does move, though, you just know it's odds on he goes to Paisley.

21 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

You closed it so you are, as I said you don't know me either, but you have the power, had the shoe been on the other foot, plenty of your aimless discussions would have been closed. PS, I stick by that thread, Boyle had to get rid if money quickly or the taxman got it. Remember I may have opinions you don't like, but I've never put the club into administration and near oblivion. Remember that post got more replies than a topic on Keith Lassley. Cue hunners posting on it. :D

It's still hilarious that you think losing 10 million in a football club investment is somehow better than moving your 10 million to an offshore company and making a profit from it. (Or even just paying tax on the 10 million).

Looking forward to your detailed insight into how those sums work.

7 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Usually, I would have agreed with this but sadly can't as the boy's form has dropped off a cliff to the extent that many of the fans of a below average Hibernian regard him as the worst signing in many a year.

As a follower of Scotland Under 21's I can also say that Scott having begun the current campaign is now entirely off the selection radar.

Many people have theories on why his profile has diminished. 

But as a prospect to improve our team? 

Sadly, not for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

You are obviously more fiscally clued up and older and wiser than me. ;)

Well I know that spending a lot of money leaves you with less in your bank account than not spending a lot of money. If that means I'm more fiscally clued up than you, then yes.

I wouldn't make claims about being older and wiser because an old, wise person would never do that.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

You can't move a UK tax liability offshore. 

I don't know anything about Boyle in particular but it's pretty obvious from Accies, Livi and St Johnstone that owning a Scottish football club has financial upsides beyond P/L. 

"You can't move a UK tax liability offshore" sounds like something you've read on the internet without having much clue as to what exactly that means in relation to Boyle and his companies, personal wealth, football club ownership debts and if he had any overseas interests in his portfolio.

Once you and Robbos boy have figured out how Boyle saved himself money maybe you can share the details.

If you think Accies selling their old ground, pocketing the funds from the sale, pocketing millions from the sale and add-ons from McArthur and McCarthy and getting sweetheart deals from the district council in office rentals while setting up dodgy sponsorship deals is in any way similar to Boyle's tenure at Fir Park then more power to you both.

I'll leave you both to your high finance discussions. I'm out.

14 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Are you for real, that's as good a reply as Jake Carrolls defending. 

Do you actually understand what you post.

You ridiculed someone for suggesting Tom Rogic as a decent signing, by saying Celtic wouldn't let him walk away from the last year of his contact but Celtic have already done just that, making your ridicule ridiculous.

I'm going to take Mark Twain's advise now and sign out

Posted in the Celtic thread but better here:

If we needed any further clarification, yesterday  proves how critical this summer is. 
We absolutely must bring in a first choice left back, 2 centre halves, 2 central midfielders and 2 strikers in the summer; all of whom need to be first choice starters. 
That’s 7 players and the spine of a team that we desperately need.  We need a couple of senior leaders in the middle of the park and central defence. 
The rest are simply not up to it: Carroll, McGinley, Grimshaw, Nierenold, Goss, Donnelly, Amaluzor, Roberts, Efford should all be away by the time European competition starts. 

It’s a huge summer.

———————Kelly

SoD/Mugabi——X———X———X

—X—Slattery/Cornelius——X

—X———-Van Veen——X

Subs:

Fox

Solholm

Ojala

Woolery

Maguire

Shields

Tierney

35 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Posted in the Celtic thread but better here:

If we needed any further clarification, yesterday  proves how critical this summer is. 
We absolutely must bring in a first choice left back, 2 centre halves, 2 central midfielders and 2 strikers in the summer; all of whom need to be first choice starters. 
That’s 7 players and the spine of a team that we desperately need.  We need a couple of senior leaders in the middle of the park and central defence. 
The rest are simply not up to it: Carroll, McGinley, Grimshaw, Nierenold, Goss, Donnelly, Amaluzor, Roberts, Efford should all be away by the time European competition starts. 

It’s a huge summer.

———————Kelly

SoD/Mugabi——X———X———X

—X—Slattery/Cornelius——X

—X———-Van Veen——X

Subs:

Fox

Solholm

Ojala

Woolery

Maguire

Shields

Tierney

I agree we need a new spine right the way through- equally I'd like to see us look beyond the 4-3-3 formation and play to individual strengths. 

S'OD and Carrol for example both struggle to defend but both are blooming decent in the final 1/3. 

Tierney is a dangerous player but he isn't a striker nor defender - play him in the hole just behind. 

Overall yes we need to improve and bring in better than what we have.  

I think we've done decent enough going forward.  I know Woolery, Shields, Efford etc aren't the greatest but I think they are adequate and might improve having had a season of experience and a chance to adapt.  We do need to replace Tony Watt though as we cannot go into a season with 1 centre forward.

Defensively we have been awful, especially in the second half of the season.  For me, with Lamie going, we need a whole new back four, if that's what we are going to play.  For me O'Donnell and Carroll can't play in a back four.  I'm not against keeping both as options but not as starters in a 4-3-3.  We need two solid full backs that can defend in a line of four.

In midfield we need a guy who can stroke the ball around and we need a player that can make runs into the box.  I'm assuming here (and crossing my fingers) but with guys like Donnelly, Grimshaw and O'Hara leaving there is a bit of scope for bring in more technically gifted midfielders.

• David locked this topic