2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

Whether folk like McGinley or not, we literally just re-signed him, he's going nowhere. The same goes for anyone else who still has a contract, unless someone else comes in for them. The likes of Efford, Goss, Carroll, and SOD have all played regularly enough that it would hard to imagine the manager trying to mutual any of them.

The only player we have that could realistically be sold is Kelly.

Out of those leaving, there are 3 defenders, 4 midfielders, and 2 forwards. If we're cutting the squad I could see us bringing in 3 or 4 max. We have Johnston coming back from loan, and Maguire from injury, as well the mid season signings of Tierney and Mahon.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think we've done decent enough going forward.  I know Woolery, Shields, Efford etc aren't the greatest but I think they are adequate and might improve having had a season of experience and a chance to adapt.  We do need to replace Tony Watt though as we cannot go into a season with 1 centre forward.

Defensively we have been awful, especially in the second half of the season.  For me, with Lamie going, we need a whole new back four, if that's what we are going to play.  For me O'Donnell and Carroll can't play in a back four.  I'm not against keeping both as options but not as starters in a 4-3-3.  We need two solid full backs that can defend in a line of four.

In midfield we need a guy who can stroke the ball around and we need a player that can make runs into the box.  I'm assuming here (and crossing my fingers) but with guys like Donnelly, Grimshaw and O'Hara leaving there is a bit of scope for bring in more technically gifted midfielders.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I tend to think Alexander will revert back to his favoured 4-3-3 despite the recent change of formation rescuing our European hopes. 

If he does, players like Carroll, SOD, McGinley and Mugabi will be asked to play in situations that will continue to expose their weaknesses and ignore their strengths. Add to that list Tierney who when he was signed was described by Alexander as a player who could play anywhere across the front three, when in truth he played behind a striker for his former club. And has shown up well for us when he reverts to his natural position. In Ireland he was that player that arrived late in the box to feed off the main striker.

Given that all of those players will still be with us, I live in hope that Alexander will bring in players to build on the formation that he used at Utd, County and at home to Hearts. In short. look to the quality players we have ( Kelly, SOD, Slattery, Tierney and Van Veen) play to their strengths and bring in more quality players to improve the team all round. Do that and a few top signings could make a huge difference. Also we can live in hope that Sol and Ojala will revert back to the players we signed with injuries cleared up and a proper pre season under their belts. I've not given up on either just yet, or Mugabi. Would not object to Lamie staying either, but I suppose that ship has sailed.

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Whether folk like McGinley or not, we literally just re-signed him, he's going nowhere. 

You'd think that but only recently we've fired folk out that we'd just re-signed - Robbie Crawford for one.

You'd think that but only recently we've fired folk out that we'd just re-signed - Robbie Crawford for one.

Letting someone go who has less than a year left on their deal, and punting someone who was an ever present before getting injured, and has a brand new two year deal, are two different things. It's possible that Carroll could face that fate, since he has a year left and is behind McGinley in the pecking order, but even then, paying off someone's contract as well as paying for a replacement isn't cheap.

On 5/13/2022 at 8:07 PM, Haggischomper said:

The thing to remember about Solholm, and I presume Ojala, is that he (they) came from Scandi countries where I think they play in the summer so they've had no break before going straight into a long season with us. I suspect Ojala has been playing through injury too. Might explain the dip in form and Ojala's recent lack of pace. Let's see what a break and a pre-season brings.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

None of that will give them pace or decent positional sense. Both can go anytime.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Said it before but fact McGinley got 2yr new deal is bewildering. Nothing against him or Carroll but simply not good enough.  Ahhhhh if only we could find a new Rob McKinnon

7 hours ago, Kmac said:

Posted in the Celtic thread but better here:

If we needed any further clarification, yesterday  proves how critical this summer is. 
We absolutely must bring in a first choice left back, 2 centre halves, 2 central midfielders and 2 strikers in the summer; all of whom need to be first choice starters. 
That’s 7 players and the spine of a team that we desperately need.  We need a couple of senior leaders in the middle of the park and central defence. 
The rest are simply not up to it: Carroll, McGinley, Grimshaw, Nierenold, Goss, Donnelly, Amaluzor, Roberts, Efford should all be away by the time European competition starts. 

It’s a huge summer.

———————Kelly

SoD/Mugabi——X———X———X

—X—Slattery/Cornelius——X

—X———-Van Veen——X

Subs:

Fox

Solholm

Ojala

Woolery

Maguire

Shields

Tierney

Easier said than done I think. 

Just now, Kat said:

Darragh O'Connor mentioned on twitter his time at the club has came to an end. 

Seen it, big guy was worth a chance, you’ll get the haters saying he got relegated from the championship but one player doesn’t make a team, Oyala is slower than a week in the jail, Sol is a bomb scare and our left backs are shite, so why not give him a chance.

13 minutes ago, Kat said:

Darragh O'Connor mentioned on twitter his time at the club has came to an end. 

The players getting released are slowly coming out, are there any official lists?

like many others I thought Darragh could have a chance with us, let’s hope GA knows what he is doing, he is obviously getting rid of players as they are out of contract, but there is a couple of players that are still in contract that need to be told to find another club!

46 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Seen it, big guy was worth a chance, you’ll get the haters saying he got relegated from the championship but one player doesn’t make a team, Oyala is slower than a week in the jail, Sol is a bomb scare and our left backs are shite, so why not give him a chance.

I don't think Sol is a bombscare. Sign  of the times on this forum. Let's see how he does next season.

I usually give up reading this thread over the summer and just rely on official announcements instead. But here are my predictions:

There will be some players staying on that some want to punt.

There will some players leaving that some want to keep.

There will be a few signings of players we've never heard of.

Some of the new signings and loans won't arrive until we're a few weeks into the season (that will freak some out)

Cheers

Nostradamus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I usually give up reading this thread over the summer and just rely on official announcements instead. But here are my predictions:

There will be some players staying on that some want to punt.

There will some players leaving that some want to keep.

There will be a few signings of players we've never heard of.

Some of the new signings and loans won't arrive until we're a few weeks into the season (that will freak some out)

Cheers

Nostradamus

Call yourself a prophet.....you forgot that all of the new signings will be written off as shit and not up to premiership standard before they have set foot in Fir Park.

8 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

GA has mentioned that he has learned this year about pre-contracts, does this mean that the pre contract signing is not applicable to England? 

It's different rules down south. Found this snippet of info below:

Unlike in Scotland, where players are free to sign pre-contract agreements with any other club when they enter the final six months of their contracts, down south players who are moving within the same set-up can only do so come the final month of their deals. With most contracts running till the end of June this effectively prevents them playing against their soon-to-be-employers.

12 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Call yourself a prophet.....you forgot that all of the new signings will be written off as shit and not up to premiership standard before they have set foot in Fir Park.

I invest lots of money in my predictions so I can get a massive tax break.

I'm really in the non-prophet business,

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• David locked this topic