2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

27 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Decent enough SPL midfielder, still only 26 so should be approaching his prime. He'd do a job, not an exciting signing per say but a solid player at this level.

Though I can see this being a case of County fans just deciding he's going to us as it seems like the sort of thing that might happen.

We can't sign a player with lots of experience from another Premiership club..no no no. the model is bring someone in from English lower / non league obscurity or Ireland etc then have a healthy debate about how they are not up to it and don't meet the standards required.

• Haha 3

I think Scott Allan is going to queens park. He doesn't fit with our style of play either, or would take the spot we're hoping Ross Tierney will fill.

Spittal isn't a bad shout, not sure if there's anything in it, but wouldn't be surprised, he'd be a good fit for us. Full rebuild mode for Ross county though.

28 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I think Scott Allan is going to queens park. He doesn't fit with our style of play either, or would take the spot we're hoping Ross Tierney will fill.

Spittal isn't a bad shout, not sure if there's anything in it, but wouldn't be surprised, he'd be a good fit for us. Full rebuild mode for Ross county though.

Not knocking Blair spittal but how many times have we take. Players from the Highland teams and they have flopped. There has been far to many. I don't think I would want him IMO

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew160588 said:

Not knocking Blair spittal but how many times have we take. Players from the Highland teams and they have flopped. There has been far to many. I don't think I would want him IMO

If Spittal can play left back then get him in asap

2 hours ago, Andrew160588 said:

Highland teams..the bulk of his Career has been with Queens Park and Partick Thistle,  and he's been a regular starter For Ross county  scored 4 or 5 goals from midfield so it's not as if we are taking a punt on some random player from a Highland league team. For me he would be an upgrade on most of the midfield we have at the moment.

I’d 100% take Spittal. When he’s played against us he’s shown good movement and always looked tidy on the ball. Not to mention, I think I’ve seen him pass the ball forward to a someone else in his team a few times. 

4 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Got to agree with that sentiment - he likes to play football :whistle:

13 hours ago, Andrew160588 said:

Has part of the problem not been that most of those players have come from that area and haven't really settled down here?

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Has part of the problem not been that most of those players have come from that area and haven't really settled down here?

I think he is from Erskine so west central Scotland is home, don't think there would be any issues in that department. 

19 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I think he is from Erskine so west central Scotland is home, don't think there would be any issues in that department. 

Maybe St Mirren will start signing future Motherwell players once they've run out of former ones.

• Haha 1

Spittal is certainly one that has caught the eye whe we have been playing County, but then so was Vigurs at the time and it never really worked out for him. I think it probably comes down to the character/personality of the player, but also whether their attributes tie in with the rest of the squad / tactics / playing style. Much of that will be down to GA and how he sees us playing next season. 

END OF 2021/22 SQUAD UPDATE

14:59
End of 2021/22 squad update

With the 2021/22 season at an end, we can provide supporters with the following update on players’ contracts.

Liam Grimshaw will depart having spent five-and-a-half seasons at Fir Park across two spells, clocking up over 130 matches in claret and amber. The tenacious utility player was a popular figure amongst the ‘Well support, but has found first-team opportunities limited over the last year.

Liam Donnelly will also leave for the final time. The Northern Irish International made 70 outings in four seasons. The versatile midfield player, who more recently showed his qualities in the defensive line, also clocked up thirteen goals and won two caps for his country whilst at ‘Well.

Also exiting is Mark O’Hara, who has spent three seasons in claret and amber following a move from Peterborough United in 2019. Playing in a variety of positions, Mark managed 74 appearances and scored six goals, but has opted to join a fellow SPFL Premiership club.

Other names leaving Fir Park for the last time are Darragh O’Connor, Justin Amaluzor, Jordan Roberts, PJ Morrison, Victor Nirennold and youngster Cody McLeod. Liam Shaw will return to his parent club when his loan ends early next month.

“I want to thank everyone who is leaving Motherwell this summer for their effort during their time with the club,” manager Graham Alexander said.

“The likes of Liam Grimshaw, Liam Donnelly and Mark O’Hara have been in our first-team for extended periods, so I want to pay particular tribute to them. Although Grimmy didn’t feature as much as he would like for me, he was always a fantastic professional and trained hard every single day and that says a lot about the type of person he is.

“Any time Liam or Mark featured they gave everything, so I want to thank them both too. PJ Morrison has also been with the club from a very young age, but we both agreed he needed to kick his career on by playing regularly every week.

“Everyone leaving have made their mark in some way, big or small, and we wish them well for the future careers, wherever that takes them.”

THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS WILL LEAVE AT THE EXPIRY OF THEIR CONTRACT OR RETURN TO THEIR PARENT CLUB AT THE END OF THEIR LOAN:
  • Mark O’Hara
  • Liam Shaw (end of loan – Celtic FC)
  • Darragh O’Connor
  • Justin Amaluzor
  • Liam Donnelly
  • Liam Grimshaw
  • Jordan Roberts
  • Peter Morrison
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Cody McLeod
THE FOLLOWING PLAYER HAS BEEN OFFERED AN EXTENDED DEAL:
  • Ricki Lamie

The club have just announced that Mark O'Hara, Darragh O'Conor, Justin Amaluzor, Liam Grimshaw, Liam Donnelly, Jordan Roberts, Peter Morrison, Victor Nirennold and Cody McLeod have all left the club. Liam Shaw obviously heads back to Celtic and we have offered a new contract to Ricki Lamie.

• David locked this topic