2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

The worry with Lamie is that he might be one of those players that steps up his game when his contract is running out. Grimshaw mugged us twice by doing it. 
Thing is, he played his best after he signed the contract with Dundee, so he was sorted.

I'm not furious about trying to keep him, but it is an opportunity to get someone better that we're passing up.

10 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Thing is, he played his best after he signed the contract with Dundee, so he was sorted.

I'm not furious about trying to keep him, but it is an opportunity to get someone better that we're passing up.

His improvement in form was after he signed his PCA with Dundee, so he was leaving anyway so I think he genuinely found a bit of form and basically saved our season. After Dundees relegation it's no surprise  he had 2nd thoughts on the deal, he's been our stand out defender for months.

19 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Who in your opinion, are better?

Sorry, I wasn’t laughing at your statement that he was the best footballer at the club - he may be.  
It was more that if he is, then it’s an indictment on the standard of player on our books. I’m no fan of our current manager but I think the reason he has persevered with his hoofball tactics this season is that he realises we don’t have any decent midfield players.

• Like 1

I genuinely can't wrap my head around folk not rating Slattery. You can see from his technical ability why he was so highly rated in the Southampton/England setups but he doesn't seem to have came up with any pretensions either and does more than his fair share of the unglamorous stuff. I think he's been an upgrade on Allan Campbell. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

Sorry, I wasn’t laughing at your statement that he was the best footballer at the club - he may be.  
It was more that if he is, then it’s an indictment on the standard of player on our books. I’m no fan of our current manager but I think the reason he has persevered with his hoofball tactics this season is that he realises we don’t have any decent midfield players.

Fair doo's. :P

I still think Slattery is decent and would benefit from having a few players of at least similar ability around him.

Whether we can manage that on our budget or not remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

Daily Mail carrying a story that both Motherwell and St. Mirren want to talk to 37 year old Steven Davis with a view to signing him if he decides to leave Rangers!

His best days are behind him but we said that when we signed Davie Cooper and that turned out OK. He would be a big upgrade on most of our current midfield and if his wage demands are not too excessive I think he would be worth a punt, all depends what other offers he has from bigger and wealthier clubs than us.

17 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

His best days are behind him but we said that when we signed Davie Cooper and that turned out OK. He would be a big upgrade on most of our current midfield and if his wage demands are not too excessive I think he would be worth a punt, all depends what other offers he has from bigger and wealthier clubs than us.

I agree. If we can get him, do it.

Even at 37 he is still head and shoulders above any of our current midfield options. If there is even the remotest possibility that we could sign Steven Davis then we should jump at it.

Not a long term signing, but going into a European campaign, he would certainly add a level of quality and experience we dont currently have. Be surprised if he would take the drop in wages, but if you dont ask, you dont get.

He's been involved in there recent finals so he obviously still has enough left in the tank,we don't need to be bringing in more jersey fillers,it's a bit of quality that were needing and he would bring that.

Steven Davis I feel would be a great signing. Exactly what we need and would no doubt drive standards up. He does not have the baggage of other players from either of them i.e brown,griffiths ,boyd etc and he has also been used to playing as an underdog with northern ireland.  I can not see any downside other than hes 37 and may get injured but he has looked fit enough any time ive saw him this season. Him and one other similar stature defender and striker and you have leaders and organisers in every area of pitch which we have not had this season. Even just being in for him is a serious upgrade in transfer gossip than there has been for a while.

• David locked this topic