2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

29 minutes ago, Richie said:

Aye, Lamie has shown he can be useful.

On Maguire, I'm also in the 'quite like him' camp.
He's quite tidy and relatively composed on the ball.
Not going to control a midfield himself, but there's a decent enough player in there.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I agree, thought he was coming onto a game but then got injured. Was looking faster and stronger than previous seasons. 

6 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

It was about Davie Cooper, Tom Boyd improved beyond all recognition after Cooper arrived and O'Donnell only played in the season we won the cup while Cooper had already started to make Arnott, Boyd and others into much better players. Davie Cooper was in a league of his own.

Im not disputing that,he was one of the finest players ive seen,my point is he had legs round about him,if we're to take a punt on davis we need the same in the middle of the park,u cant expect a 37 year old guy t do all the donkey work

3 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Im not disputing that,he was one of the finest players ive seen,my point is he had legs round about him,if we're to take a punt on davis we need the same in the middle of the park,u cant expect a 37 year old guy t do all the donkey work

worth noting that Cooper was 33 when he arrived.  Quite different to the 37 years old when he left - was used sparingly. 

Davis I suspect won't last a full season but completely agree he'd be a great influence. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, weeyin said:

Maybe I'm over optimistic, but I expect to see that style change next season.

I remember GA saying he originally tried to implement a style that was playing out short passes from the back and transitioning through the thirds - (aye, I said  "transitioning through the thirds") - but had to give up in that because the players couldn't handle it. Of course, I think he overcompensated and started to rely on Kelly's long ball distribution and we ended up at the other extreme.

Now he knows who can handle the tactics he wants to play and who couldn't cut it I'm hoping we see a marked difference.

As for Maguire, he's an academy trained, 2 footed midfielder that can pick a pass, tackle and has a decent shot. He's suffered a bit during Covid due to lack of U20/Reserve games when he's not been in the team, but I still think he's a player. In fact when we play 3 in mid, I still think Slattery, Goss and Maguire give us the best balance in there.

We missed Maguire when he was injured.  And we missed him even more when Donnelly came back from injury about the same time!

Also good news on Lamie.  He's our best central defender.  If we could bring in a strong signing to partner him that would have potential but I still think the full back positions are the big problem.

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

decent news on Lamie - as expected really and happy to have him. 

Maguire I'm personally not sold but I do like having players coming through the ranks and no question he works his arse off.  A very decent squad player who can at least fill in. 

It’s good that Lamie signed and isn’t pissing about waiting to see if anything better comes his way. 

13 hours ago, spudmfc said:

Agreed!

Rangers have offered him a contract so the chances of us getting him are slim. We can't match wages,  we can't offer guaranteed European group football and we are miles behind Rangers in player quality and he has no connection with the club unlike he has at Rangers. The only thing that might temp him is some kind of player/coach role but if that was a clincher, then Rangers might offer it up too.

I will be shocked if he arrives at Fir Park.

19 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Rangers have offered him a contract so the chances of us getting him are slim. We can't match wages,  we can't offer guaranteed European group football and we are miles behind Rangers in player quality and he has no connection with the club unlike he has at Rangers. The only thing that might temp him is some kind of player/coach role but if that was a clincher, then Rangers might offer it up too.

I will be shocked if he arrives at Fir Park.

He was a great option for Rangers at the tail end of the season, when injuries caught up with them, but for quite a while, he was a bit part player. Probably the only thing we could offer that they can't, is regular football.  Maybe he wants that, maybe he wants to prolong his career by playing sparingly. It seems to have helped him keep going for Northern Ireland.

For all the reasons you listed, I agree, it would be a major surprise if he signed for us.

9 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It was worth inquiring about Davis but it's always going  to be unlikely that we can sign a player that just performed well in a European final.

There was definitely no harm in inquiring about davis,hopefully its an indication that were looking at quality over quantity this time around.

57 minutes ago, mfc said:

There was definitely no harm in inquiring about davis,hopefully its an indication that were looking at quality over quantity this time around.

We sort of say that every summer

40 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

We sort of say that every summer

It's a good plan when it works.

When it doesn't work, we end up with 9 fit players in December and Lamie playing at left wing-back.

A fine balancing act for a club with our relatively limited resources.

On 5/24/2022 at 2:19 PM, dennyc said:

I agree Ojala  and Solholm were certainly poor after they came back from injury. Nobody can deny that. When he first came into the team Ojala formed a decent but short lived partnership with Solholm.  Ojala did the no nonsense defending and Solholm looked to be the more cultured of the two. I'm hoping a rest followed by a good pre season might restore both to the players they presented as on first appearing. Worth the try in my opinion unless those injuries are career ending.  But at present Lamie is my first choice central defender with Mugabi ahead of both Ojjala and Solholm. Hopefully we stick with three at the back to accommodate wingbacks and then we can judge each of our much criticised defenders in a formation that matched their strengths. 

By all means upgrade those positions if the opportunity arises, but I would prioritise finding some decent midfielders and and at least one more above average forward. And as many have said, better quality less numbers.

Totally agree Lammie and Mugabi have to be our central defence and sign a half decent left back.

Looking at the current squad pre European games this must be the first time we’ve actually gone into a new season and European game with a relatively settled squad . I say squad as we need a few quality bodies in to supplement existing group and also provide competition for places . Most seasons when we’re in Europe the team is unrecognisable from the previous season . So with say 4-5 quality players and not as much disruption we might be a bit more settled . 
Ive felt that in many of the previous European games the team that got us there and usually then splits up we’re better than the team that actually played in the tournament . 

On 5/26/2022 at 9:18 AM, FirParkCornerExile said:

Totally agree Lammie and Mugabi have to be our central defence and sign a half decent left back.

Sorry to take this post in isolation, but, some takes on here since season end are almost beyond parody.

You may see some of our defensive options change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Last season our defensive record was poor, especially post New Year. GA has acknowledged this, saying that he and Chris Lucketti are looking to address this for next season. Now that may involve a change in set up but surely it must also involve a change in personnel to some extent?

24 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Last season our defensive record was poor, especially post New Year. GA has acknowledged this, saying that he and Chris Lucketti are looking to address this for next season. Now that may involve a change in set up but surely it must also involve a change in personnel to some extent?

Maybe, but it won’t change anything if players are not played in their natural position and/or are squeezed into a set up that exposes every defect they have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Sorry to take this post in isolation, but, some takes on here since season end are almost beyond parody.

You may seem some of our defensive options change.

That would be encouraging.  Given that the majority are still under contract, it's hard to know what changes are possible.

Hopefully a recognition that our goals against column last season cant be repeated.

I note Darragh O'Connor has moved on.

A couple out, a couple better quality in, hopefully supplemented with some better midfield options that will allow us to keep the ball and take some pressure off the defence.

• David locked this topic