2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

14 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Non plussed at that.

Interesting take. 
Ross County fans rated him highly. 
The Terrace podcast had him in their top12 attacking midfielders this season. One of the few non old firm players. Along with Ross Tierney as it happens. Neither of the hosts were or are Well fans or Ross County fans. So not vested interest.

That top he is wearing. What a belter. That will sell out in record time. 

14 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Interesting take. 
Ross County fans rated him highly. 
The Terrace podcast had him in their top12 attacking midfielders this season. One of the few non old firm players. Along with Ross Tierney as it happens. Neither of the hosts were or are Well fans or Ross County fans. So not vested interest.

That top he is wearing. What a belter. That will sell out in record time. 

Ross County fans rated him highly? That’s some yardstick. As for the Terrace podcast, that’s little more than satire.

Just struggling to see the structure to this signing hence, my comment.

Perhaps I don’t pay enough attention to opposition players, he’s been referred to as a standout in some quarters and an upgrade in others. Where do most see him playing? I ask as I’m not sure most understand where he plays or role he’s likely to fill.

Stifling my laugh at those screaming quality over quantity yet lauding some of the moves made.

23 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Ross County fans rated him highly? That’s some yardstick.

They rated Ross Stewart highly too and he's just had a 24 goal season and led Sunderland to the Championship.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Ross County fans rated him highly? That’s some yardstick. As for the Terrace podcast, that’s little more than satire.

That is fine and every signing we make will no doubt split opinion. Nathan McGinlay apart….

But since Motherwell fans hardly rate any player highly I take it as an encouraging sign that opposition fans are sorry to lose him and had expected him to do better than Motherwell. 

5 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Perhaps I don’t pay enough attention to opposition players, he’s been referred to as a standout in some quarters and an upgrade in others. Where do most see him playing? I ask as I’m not sure most understand where he plays or role he’s likely to fill.

Stifling my laugh at those screaming quality over quantity yet lauding some of the moves made.

I think Ross County were one of the best diddy teams last season they played decent football , unlike us, Spittal was pivotal in their side. Weve signed an SPFL proven standard player .. what the hell do our fans expect would they rather we keep signing shite from the Conference in England.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

On the face of it not a good signing. Hungbo and Charles-Cook carried RC, we're not going to improve by adding one of their average players. 

A bad start to the summer. Blair is a shite name as well. 

Ah well just as well u r not in charge of the budget Steelboy.

I am assuming Sadio Mane is waiting to announce he is signing for Motherwell. Or is it that our budget can afford Blair Spittal and not Mane ? Just an observation. 

8 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I think Ross County were one of the best diddy teams last season they played decent football , unlike us, Spittal was pivotal in their side. Weve signed an SPFL proven standard player .. what the hell do our fans expect would they rather we keep signing shite from the Conference in England.

Not my recollection. This decent football you speak of didn’t win them a game till October of the season past. So by your logic Alexander’s tenure January to April would’ve been acceptable if we’d seen decent football?

Not sure I’d say pivotal, wasn’t a regular starter but, had a solid season? Wholly different intensity & scrutiny playing in Dingwall than in Motherwell.

Fair to reserve judgement. Like most, I’ve struggled with our teams’ identity for 18 months - it does though align with how his other roles played out. Evolution required.

We can do without the poor analogy of who/where fans would rather sign from - consistently trotted out by those salivating over adding players with SPFL experience who have certainly served us no better.

9 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I am assuming Sadio Mane is waiting to announce he is signing for Motherwell. Or is it that our budget can afford Blair Spittal and not Mane ? Just an observation. 

We'll see how he goes in the final tonight before the jumping the gun....

Given that we have Cornelius, Maguire, Slattery and Goss in the middle of the park I was hoping we would sign someone with a bit more experience who could bring them on as players.  I don't see how he solves our problems in a 4-3-3 or facilitates a change to another system. 

Obviously you can only judge players on the park and transfer windows when they are complete but we were told quality over quantity this window so I think it's fair to ask how this signing fits into that plan. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

Spittal is a better attacking mid option than any of the players we released.

Is he better than the ones we have a kept jury is out on that one For me he doesn’t bring the quality to improve the team just a squad player imo 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We'll see how he goes in the final tonight before the jumping the gun....

Given that we have Cornelius, Maguire, Slattery and Goss in the middle of the park I was hoping we would sign someone with a bit more experience who could bring them on as players.  I don't see how he solves our problems in a 4-3-3 or facilitates a change to another system. 

Obviously you can only judge players on the park and transfer windows when they are complete but we were told quality over quantity this window so I think it's fair to ask how this signing fits into that plan. 

It depends what your expectations are regarding the level of quality ?

34 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Is he better than the ones we have a kept jury is out on that one For me he doesn’t bring the quality to improve the team just a squad player imo 

Add quality to the lightweight midfield we have now wouldn't be hard. Our piss poor midfield also contributes to our shocking defence as they get no protection. Cornelious and Tierney are still young and still lightweight. Donnelly is gone but was slow and basically a dead weight. McGuire so far is nothing special and for me the jury is out on him Shaw has gone back to Celtic but was iffy at best . Goss is OK. How the feck is he not an improvement on that.

24 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Better than we have at the moment 

Having been on this forum for a while now I’m not sure even that’s enough, some people’s expectations of incoming players seem to be higher than the reality is ever going to be.  Some asked for the better Championship level player, that was then not enough, established Premiership level players, not enough.  I’m sure we could all give a long list of the best Premiership players but I can pretty much guarantee not a single one of them would join us unless we offered stupid wages that would bankrupt the club moving forward. 

I think Spittal has always been a threat when he has played against us, even when coming off the bench. Certainly somebody I am wary of when he is on the pitch. Memory might be playing tricks but I seem to recall him scoring/assisting a few quality goals against us. And he is only in his mid 20s. He is certainly an upgrade on the likes of Roberts so in that sense the squad will be stronger. Worth a try in my opinion.

My only worry is that yet again we are faced with " this is a player who can play in a number of positions". At least it was not " this is a player who can play anywhere across the front three". I get that it is beneficial to have some players who can cover a few positions if need be, but I am hoping we sign a few players who excel in a particular position and will be the first names on the team sheet, in that preferred position. Holding Midfielder, Left Back/Wing Back as examples. Like Steelboy I am also hoping to see players signed that suggest a move away from 4-3-3 week in week out, or at least give it a better chance of being effective. Some teams do seem to make that formation work  but the quality of players they recruit are way way beyond our budget.  Liverpool, Celtic, Spurs as examples.

Regards Davis, at his age and with his experience I think he might be looking to move into a player/coach situation where his game time can be managed. More likely a better chance of that in Scotland than England although I think his family still live in the Southampton area. Perhaps a deal can be done and I have no doubt that every one of our midfield players would benefit from his presence off and on the pitch. Again worth a try if we can satisfy his wage demands within our budget.

13 minutes ago, mfc said:

I'm not sure spittal will improve the starting 11 but I think he's a better option to have in the squad than the likes of donnolly and ohara.

I don't think Spittal is coming to Motherwell to warm the Bench every week, an experienced premiership player who likes to get forward, scored a few goals and had a good season with RC by all accounts for me he is better than Donnelly and O'Hara so will improve the team. 

Not a signing that has me salivating, but he has always looked good playing against us for County, so happy to wait and see what other business is done and where GA see's him fitting into the bigger picture. 

You can satisfy some of the people some of the time, but you can’t satisfy some on here any of the time . Unless we signed Lionel Messi on a four year deal. Then again he would probably be past it and no attacking enough.  I’m prepared to wait n see new signings actually play for us then judge after a couple of months.

• David locked this topic