2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

2 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

You would think that we should be favourite to sign the guy, with us being in Europe . 

I'm pretty sure that by now, every journo's spellchecker auto-corrects "Motherwell" to "Motherwell and St. Mirren".

Alexander saying there won't be wholesale changes to the squad and that hes happy with the business we've done last year.

Which makes sense as compared to previous years its a faily settled side. I imagine at least 8 or 9 of the players that start against Bala or Sligo will have been here last season.

Maybe a bit of consistency (in squad) will help. Add a few bits of quality and we'll see how it goes.

12 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Alexander saying there won't be wholesale changes to the squad and that hes happy with the business we've done last year.

Which makes sense as compared to previous years its a faily settled side. I imagine at least 8 or 9 of the players that start against Bala or Sligo will have been here last season.

Maybe a bit of consistency (in squad) will help. Add a few bits of quality and we'll see how it goes.

Adding in 8 or 9 bits of quality would be a start. :(

• Like 1

Does anyone else feel we are on the same path as St Johnston we’re last year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

It won’t go down well with a percentage of the fanbase who think we need a good few additions.

36 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think there are enough differences from the situation St Johnstone found themselves in to say that that is not the case here. For instance, they lost a couple of key players just before the transfer deadline and were unable to replace them with anything like the same quality. We are also, unfortunately, not artificially buoyed by unprecedented success from last season.

I do think that relying on the core of a squad that faltered so alarmingly in the second half of the season shows a degree of optimism in their ability, or the hope that they will improve, that I do not share. Relying on theist of the league to remain pretty awful seems both lazy and foolhardy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coatsy said:

St Johnstone sold their best players and didn't bring in any replacements.

GA has cleared the decks of players who didn't cut it and is looking to bring in a few higher quality replacements.

Different situation altogether.

17 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

We need a new LB urgently. Carroll and McGinley are subs at best. Alexander needs to secure a good  LB, with no more signing pointless squad fillers. The squad was bloated with crap last season. Plus, 2 or 3 more in other key areas would be welcome as well. 

• Like 1

More signings are on the way according to GA quoted in the Sun yesterday.

More in for Motherwell

Graham Alexander is hopeful he'll be able to add some more new faces to his Motherwell squad in the coming days.

The Steelmen boss revealed discussions are ongoing as he looks to expand his options with European football on the horizon.

Motherwell found out earlier today that they'll face either Bala Town or Sligo Rovers in Europa Conference League qualifying.

Alexander said: "There's two or three that we're talking to at the moment and have been for a week or so. We've had some real good conversations with a couple of players and if we can get them I think they'll improve the group again.

"We've got the base of a really good squad but it's always important to add to that with fresh impetus. Ideally if we can get them in before pre-season that is really important."

26 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

As long as players we bring in are better than we have I don’t mind it only being 2-3 or 4 players

no more squad players thanks 

I have a great idea lets just strengthen the guys we have on the bench, what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

St Johnstone lost two of the best non-of players in the league and replaced them with Ali Crawford. They deserved relegation for that, but Dundee out did their stupidity.

If Spittal is considered a midfielder/winger, then I assume that we will bring a centre forward to challenge KVV.

We're short of backup at RB, and I hope to God we're looking for a first choice CB. I also assume we will be looking for a defensive midfielder, since I don't think we have one.

If we're really just bringing in 3 or 4, I sincerely doubt one will be a LB unless Carroll is off somewhere.

I would put the boat out and risk the wages of two players on just one guy who can grab the team by the scruff of the neck when things are not going well and get their heads up and motivated. O'Donnell does not have that leadership ability for me. We have been screaming out for a leader on the park in many games last season when so many players were just hiding in games.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 9:38 AM, Yorkyred said:

It won’t go down well with a percentage of the fanbase who think we need a good few additions.

Depends on the additions.

There is so little between pretty much all the teams outwith the OF I reckon you could take, say last seasons Dundee or St Johnstone, add 2 or 3 better quality players down the spine of the side and provided they don't get injured you probably finish in a Euro place.

For me we need a midfielder of some quality to partner Slattery. If you can be solid in the engine room and keep the ball better than we did last season it gives you a platform to play from and we might get more from our forward players than we have been doing. I dont know if Spittal is viewed as that player, but if he is I'd want another to give us some options. I still think Cornelius would flourish with some better quality alongside him. 

32 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Depends on the additions.

There is so little between pretty much all the teams outwith the OF I reckon you could take, say last seasons Dundee or St Johnstone, add 2 or 3 better quality players down the spine of the side and provided they don't get injured you probably finish in a Euro place.

That's very true,there is little between the majority of the league,you could argue had st  johnstone kept kerr and mccann they wouldn't have struggled as badly as they did last season.if we can add a couple of bits of quality up front and in defence then there's no reason why we can't stay in and around the european spots again next season.its the defence that worries me most right now,I would love a new left back but right now I can't see it happening and I just hope the plan isn't to keep shuffling mugabi to right back.odonnell is club captain and  an internationalist and must be one of our higher earners but yet we can't say he is out first choice right back,if he isn't going to play then he has to be moved on and find a solution to the right back problem.

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

For me we need a midfielder of some quality to partner Slattery. If you can be solid in the engine room and keep the ball better than we did last season it gives you a platform to play from and we might get more from our forward players than we have been doing. I dont know if Spittal is viewed as that player, but if he is I'd want another to give us some options. I still think Cornelius would flourish with some better quality alongside him. 

Slattery gies peace 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I see robinson is still trotting out the anywhere across the front 3 line in regards to that guy they signed.im not sure if we were even in for him or not but the fact he's never played more than 9 league games in a season for any of the teams he's been at is a bit strange.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Constructive as ever......

Sorry I agree slightly with Yodo, Slattery no doubt has ability but he is lazy, doesn’t  look fit,  he can’t last 90 mins, Davis and Arfield made him look mediocre. A young fit energetic guys should out move and out fight these guy’s easily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• David locked this topic