2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

4 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

Sorry I agree slightly with Yodo, Slattery no doubt has ability but he is lazy, doesn’t  look fit,  he can’t last 90 mins, Davis and Arfield made him look mediocre. A young fit energetic guys should out move and out fight these guy’s easily.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on a player. But it does help when there is actual meat put on the bones to allow debate. I dont necesarily agree with your opinion but at least youve stated why you feel the way you do. I wouldnt say Slattery was lazy. There may have been questions over his fitness last season, but Im sure that can be worked on. I also like the fact that he isnt afraid to commit a dirty foul if its what is required at the time. With better quality around him Im pretty sure we will get more out of him this season.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Well we weren't he's signed for St Mirren. Playing a couple of games in Europe is not the attraction some fans think. What's put in their Bank account is.

What kid doesn't grow up wanting to step out against Bala Town on a Thursday night 2nd Qualifying Round for the Europa Conference?  :lol:

I'm actually glad we dodged this guy.  Might be proved wrong but this has 'Standard Robinson Signing' all over it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

What kid doesn't grow up wanting to step out against Bala Town on a Thursday night 2nd Qualifying Round for the Europa Conference?  :lol:

I'm actually glad we dodged this guy.  Might be proved wrong but this has 'Standard Robinson Signing' all over it.

If we were interested would show GA also likes "Standard Robinson Signings"

6 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on a player. But it does help when there is actual meat put on the bones to allow debate. I dont necesarily agree with your opinion but at least youve stated why you feel the way you do. I wouldnt say Slattery was lazy. There may have been questions over his fitness last season, but Im sure that can be worked on. I also like the fact that he isnt afraid to commit a dirty foul if its what is required at the time. With better quality around him Im pretty sure we will get more out of him this season.

Slattery was our best midfielder at the start of the season by some way, certainly not lazy. Something happened between him and Alexander given he could not even make the squad at times.  Maybe not the best trainer but with better around him he has more to offer.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Slattery was our best midfielder at the start of the season by some way, certainly not lazy. Something happened between him and Alexander given he could not even make the squad at times.  Maybe not the best trainer but with better around him he has more to offer.

Slattery only failed to make the squad once - on 26th December against Livi when he was suspended.

He started 28 games, was subbed on in 6 and was an unused sub in 8. So from the point he signed he was in the match day squad for 42 of 43 games.

He played the 6th most minutes of the squad behind Kelly, O'Donnell, Mugabi, Van Veen and Woolery.

Source: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/callum-slattery/leistungsdaten/spieler/332342

2 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Looking back on the squad for the cup final in 2018, only one player from the match day squad is still at the club. Barry Maguire,

Weird to think that was only 4 years ago, it seems much longer. Also the turnover in squad is pretty wild.

Half of them are at St.Mirren now.

33 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Slattery only failed to make the squad once - on 26th December against Livi when he was suspended.

He started 28 games, was subbed on in 6 and was an unused sub in 8. So from the point he signed he was in the match day squad for 42 of 43 games.

He played the 6th most minutes of the squad behind Kelly, O'Donnell, Mugabi, Van Veen and Woolery.

Source: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/callum-slattery/leistungsdaten/spieler/332342

I'm sure slattery played twice as many games for us last season than he did at his previous clubs combined,maybe that spell where he was an unused sub was down to him needing a break rather than any falling out with the manager that was being speculated at the time.i was surprised to see odonnell had played as many minutes as he did as it felt like he was out the team for chunks of the season at a time.

15 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Well we weren't he's signed for St Mirren. Playing a couple of games in Europe is not the attraction some fans think. What's put in their Bank account is.

Did we officially confirm that we were looking at him at all?

31 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Did we officially confirm that we were looking at him at all?

I seen a couple of comments online from st mirren fans saying it was the fact they offered him a two year deal that made the difference as he was only being offered a one year deal by another club up here,no idea if that other club was us though as he was being linked to county and livi as well.giving he's played so few games in his career and at 24 it does seem like signing him would have been a real punt,I'm definitely not bothered that we didn't get him.

St Mirren fans talk a load of shite. Who knows if we were in for him, it's very rare that a club tells the fans who they failed to sign.

If our aim is to take our time and sign the right players that make us better, I'm not sure if taking a flyer on a one year deal for an unproven player fits that bill, but we'll never know.

This season I hope that Maguire can stay fit and Cornelius continues to come along. There's also the possibility of Johnston getting more game time , so hopefully one of those three can kick on, and we get a glimpse of one or two more youth prospects during the season.

44 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

St Mirren fans talk a load of shite. Who knows if we were in for him, it's very rare that a club tells the fans who they failed to sign.

If our aim is to take our time and sign the right players that make us better, I'm not sure if taking a flyer on a one year deal for an unproven player fits that bill, but we'll never know.

This season I hope that Maguire can stay fit and Cornelius continues to come along. There's also the possibility of Johnston getting more game time , so hopefully one of those three can kick on, and we get a glimpse of one or two more youth prospects during the season.

im not convinced about McGuire he reminds me too much of Stuart Carswell. Cornelius is young and has much to go yet. Id be really worried if we were to rely on those two to make us a mid table force. We need 5 or 6 players better than what we currently have.

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Id be really worried if we were to rely on those two to make us a mid table force. We need 5 or 6 players better than what we currently have.

I don’t think we do. We have a very similar squad to the one that was 3rd for so long last year and managed to finish 5th.

2 or 3 quality additions and a better style of play from the manager will hopefully see us finish top six. 

I think Shields, KVV and Woolery are all going to perform much better this coming season now having a season under their belts. If we can fix left back position I think that will help us a lot. If we can add a forward, midfielder and left back all significantly better than what we have, i’ll be happy. Easier said than done though. 

We only managed to finish 5th because the rest of the league were utterly pitiful and even worse than us . Never if my life have I seen week after week results go our way even when we fucked up week after week. That won't happen again.  Aberdeen and Hibs will not be as bad next year. Kilmarnock will not stand still. The standard of our play last season was eye bleedingly bad. We had the 3rd worst defensive record in the league. I think we need 5 or 6 . If Spittal turns our to be the deal that obviously becomes 4/5 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

We only managed to finish 5th because the rest of the league were utterly pitiful and even worse than us . Never if my life have I seen week after week results go our way even when we fucked up week after week. That won't happen again.  Aberdeen and Hibs will not be as bad next year. Kilmarnock will not stand still. The standard of our play last season was eye bleedingly bad. We had the 3rd worst defensive record in the league. I think we need 5 or 6 . If Spittal turns our to be the deal that obviously becomes 4/5 

Do you honestly feel the overall standard in the league will rise ? Was just about everyone awful because the management were poor or could it be down to the quality of footballer Scottish football can attract ?

We need another out and out striker to complement / substitute for Van Veen. Apart from that, a central defender is a must, although that might depend on shipping someone out.  Strengthening the defence should be our priority. GA is well aware of that.

20 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We need another out and out striker to complement / substitute for Van Veen. Apart from that, a central defender is a must, although that might depend on shipping someone out.  Strengthening the defence should be our priority. GA is well aware of that.

I’d be amazed if defence is not  strengthened, simply retaining Lamie did not solve that problem.

7 hours ago, The African said:

If we were seriously looking for a left back, do people think we would have resigned the two that we already have?

My worry is Alexander is happy with Carroll and McGinley. No offence to them but in my opinion are 2 of the poorest full backs I have seen in the 45 years I have been going to Fir park, and believe you me I have seen a few brutal players over the years

You need to put it in the modern day context with full backs which boils down to not actually requiring as much out of them defensively. Whether it's Trent Alexander-Arnold, Calvin Ramsay or Nathan Patterson, the expectation is that they operate more as wing-backs (or even wingers) than a last line of defence.

I can't say I'm a fan of that approach, but you see it across all the leagues now.

As for poorest fullbacks, the current two wouldn't come close to my top 5 even if you restrict Derek Murray to just one slot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

You need to put it in the modern day context with full backs which boils down to not actually requiring as much out of them defensively. Whether it's Trent Alexander-Arnold, Calvin Ramsay or Nathan Patterson, the expectation is that they operate more as wing-backs (or even wingers) than a last line of defence.

I can't say I'm a fan of that approach, but you see it across all the leagues now.

As for poorest fullbacks, the current two wouldn't come close to my top 5 even if you restrict Derek Murray to just one slot.

Add Tony Straker, Danny Murphy, a past it Alan Sneddon, and more recently Aaron Taylor-Sinclair and Stephen Hendrie. McGinlay and Carroll are limited but let's not kid on they are anywhere near the worst...

• Like 2

• David locked this topic