2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

52 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

There both mince

They are mince or dug meat.  We need a LB that is capable of defending and none of this modern LB pish. Our midfield and attackers should be the threat. Defenders are there to defend let's keep to basics before we turn OD into cafu, cause he clearly isn't 

1 hour ago, Erskine Alpha said:

They are mince or dug meat.  We need a LB that is capable of defending and none of this modern LB pish.

I'll  give you the benefit of the doubt and assume  that  post was a wind up. But what a load  of shite, so if we signed Robertson or Tierney then, 2 of the best" Modern Left backs " in the world you would not be happy, as they get forward too much, ok then :doh:

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Didn't realise I was in minority of not rating Carroll and McGinley, hopefully they can prove me wrong next season but I remain unconvinced...COYW

Your not in a minority, I think a lot of our support dont rate either of them. Personally, I dont think either are great. But they are a long way from the worst we have ever had. McGinley is a better defender, but cant cross the ball. Carroll has much better delivery but consistently gets caught out of position and cant block a cross. In short, roll the 2 into one and you might have a player. Unfortunately that player would be off to pastures new within a season of their arrival.

Its where we are as a club in the modern game and why context is always required when assessing our players.

I dont think GA will be looking for another left back, but I wouldnt be averse to someone coming in if one of the above can be moved on.

15 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Do you honestly feel the overall standard in the league will rise ? Was just about everyone awful because the management were poor or could it be down to the quality of footballer Scottish football can attract ?

Aberdeen and Hibs will never be as bad again and I think Kilmarnock will be better than Dundee were so yes I do. 

7 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

My worry is Alexander is happy with Carroll and McGinley. No offence to them but in my opinion are 2 of the poorest full backs I have seen in the 45 years I have been going to Fir park, and believe you me I have seen a few brutal players over the years

Couldnt agree more I wouldnt give those two a game in a Championship side. Ojala and Solholm look to absolute duffers too.

6 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Couldnt agree more I wouldnt give those two a game in a Championship side. Ojala and Solholm look to absolute duffers too.

Thats just not true.

Ojala has looked good in spells but is clearly very injury prone and that has effected his performances for us. Probably why we had the chance of signing someone of his calibre.

Solholm started very well then tailed off badly. Whether that was as a result of going straight from a Norwegian season into ours without a break or whether he has been carrying an injury is hard to say, but he is not a duffer.

Lets wait and see how both respond to a proper close season and good pre season before we right both of them off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Thats just not true.

Ojala has looked good in spells but is clearly very injury prone and that has effected his performances for us. Probably why we had the chance of signing someone of his calibre.

Solholm started very well then tailed off badly. Whether that was as a result of going straight from a Norwegian season into ours without a break or whether he has been carrying an injury is hard to say, but he is not a duffer.

Lets wait and see how both respond to a proper close season and good pre season before we right both of them off.

Its not true in your eyes its true in mine. Time will tell who is right

8 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Aberdeen and Hibs will never be as bad again and I think Kilmarnock will be better than Dundee were so yes I do. 

We will see, personally I’m not expecting the overall standard to improve, individual clubs may improve with others going backwards.

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

yeah but if 3 individual clubs improve and we stand still it can affect us. Who could actually go backwards from the shite of last season.

Hard to say, and obviously recruitment is key for everyone. You’d expect that Aberdeen and Hibs will be better than they were last season, and Killie may well be better than Dundee. But other teams around us have lost key players… off the top of my head… Forrest - Livi, Siegrist - Dundee Utd (and they need a new manager), Charles-Cooke and Hungbo - Ross Co, Ronan - St Mirren, even Souttar and Sims at Hearts, although they’ll still be strong. Who knows whether the replacements they bring in will be as good as those who’ve left?

Although we had a very patchy season, we have the advantage of less turnover in the close season than we’ve had for a while. Like everyone else, the quality of the new recruits will determine whether or not we move forward, and at least become more consistent 

• Like 1

Where we end up this season will depend not just on our performances but also those of other teams. At the very least a consistent core to our squad should aid consistency. GA will also now be more familiar with his squads strengths and weaknesses. However, we can't stand still and have to improve which means bringing in another 2/3/4 new players.  Some of our rivals will be weaker and some will be stronger.

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

yeah but if 3 individual clubs improve and we stand still it can affect us. Who could actually go backwards from the shite of last season.

It’s a big ‘if’ on the clubs mentioned. I think there’s an over emphasis on the abilities of messrs Goodwin & McKinnes for starters.

All speculation of course, but that's close season boredom for you.

Of the teams that finished ahead of us, three are likely to improve and even if they don't they will still be stronger than us. Money talks. Dundee Utd could stay about the same level even with Siegrist gone. Jack Ross knows what he is doing and has a point to prove. So it would not surprise me if they do improve but not to the extent of top three.

Of those clubs who finished below us, I could see County and Livi struggling to stay at last season's level as top players leaving such limited squads must have an adverse affect. But how often have we thought that about those two Clubs? And been proven wrong.

Aberdeen and Hibs will be much better and recent/pending recruitment indicates they will be stronger. Again finance plays a huge part. And if anybody wants to wager Aberdeen will not end up better than 3rd bottom please get in touch. St Mirren  I think will be much the same, although they will be harder to beat under Robinson. St Johnstone are the team I think could go either way. Can they possibly be as bad as last season? They strolled through the play off, a bit like us against Rangers, so will start this season on a high. If pushed, I expect them to improve. Finally, I think Kilmarnock will offer much more than Dundee. Especially given that atrocious home pitch and with McInnes in charge.

As for us, I think to improve we have to bring in at least four quality players....a striker, two midfielders (one holding one creative) and (given the question marks regards fitness) one Central defender. Beyond that a left back and a winger would be a bonus. With Woolery, Carroll and McGinley still around I don't expect those two areas to be a priority for Alexander no matter what us fans think.

Also for us to improve I think Alexander has to take a much more flexible approach to how we set up game to game. Become a bit more unpredictable. He moved on from 4-3-3 towards the end of the season and we were able to secure 5th place. I don't think we would have been looking forward to Europe had he not made those changes. I do fear he will go down the 4-3-3 route once  again though and I am far from convinced the current squad can make that formation  work for any length of time. Oh, and no Mugabi at right back please. That experiment failed.

So in summary, unless we recruit wisely and are flexible formation wise I can see several clubs pushing past us. Like others have said,  let's go for quality above numbers.

48 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Of the teams that finished ahead of us, three are likely to improve and even if they don't they will still be stronger than us. Money talks. Dundee Utd could stay about the same level even with Siegrist gone. Jack Ross knows what he is doing and has a point to prove. So it would not surprise me if they do improve but not to the extent of top three.

Of those clubs who finished below us, I could see County and Livi struggling to stay at last season's level as top players leaving such limited squads must have an adverse affect. But how often have we thought that about those two Clubs? And been proven wrong.

Aberdeen and Hibs will be much better and recent/pending recruitment indicates they will be stronger. Again finance plays a huge part. And if anybody wants to wager Aberdeen will not end up better than 3rd bottom please get in touch. St Mirren  I think will be much the same, although they will be harder to beat under Robinson. St Johnstone are the team I think could go either way. Can they possibly be as bad as last season? They strolled through the play off, a bit like us against Rangers, so will start this season on a high. If pushed, I expect them to improve. Finally, I think Kilmarnock will offer much more than Dundee. Especially given that atrocious home pitch and with McInnes in charge.

As for us, I think to improve we have to bring in at least four quality players....a striker, two midfielders (one holding one creative) and (given the question marks regards fitness) one Central defender. Beyond that a left back and a winger would be a bonus. With Woolery, Carroll and McGinley still around I don't expect those two areas to be a priority for Alexander no matter what us fans think.

Also for us to improve I think Alexander has to take a much more flexible approach to how we set up game to game. Become a bit more unpredictable. He moved on from 4-3-3 towards the end of the season and we were able to secure 5th place. I don't think we would have been looking forward to Europe had he not made those changes. I do fear he will go down the 4-3-3 route once  again though and I am far from convinced the current squad can make that formation  work for any length of time. Oh, and no Mugabi at right back please. That experiment failed.

So in summary, unless we recruit wisely and are flexible formation wise I can see several clubs pushing past us. Like others have said,  let's go for quality above numbers.

Regardless of what formation he plays if he can somehow manage to coach the players into not making stupid mistakes he will put a lot more points on the board. So up to the players as well to be a bit more aware and savvy about decision making. Whether that be in defence or midfield or even in attack. 

31 minutes ago, Haggischomper said:

This is all based on what exactly?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

All pure speculation I think, the only thing we know for certain is that one of  the ugly sisters will finish 1st and 2nd and it will be any permutation of the other 10 teams split 4 chasing Europe and 6 avoiding relegation, same as it is every other year.

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

If there is one think I’ve learnt while supporting Motherwell it’s that every season we’re predicted to do badly with a percentage always stating we’re doomed to certain relegation with the worst squad in the history of the club. It’s always ended up better than many think. There is absolutely no guarantee that other clubs will do better any more than there is that we will do worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

All pure speculation I think, the only thing we know for certain is that one of  the ugly sisters will finish 1st and 2nd and it will be any permutation of the other 10 teams split 4 chasing Europe and 6 avoiding relegation, same as it is every other year.

2 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

It's a reasonable assumption that clubs with fanbases  x2 what we have will have finances and the clout to improve and be beyond what we can do.  Historically Aberdeen and Hibs have been ahead of us, think it's reasonable to expect them to get their shit together.

Overall all things being equal our most likely position Im guessing is 7th with Old/New Firm Hibs/Hearts all ahead of us. If we squeeze in front of any of them then kudos to the club.  

On 6/19/2022 at 8:33 AM, FirParkCornerExile said:

We only managed to finish 5th because the rest of the league were utterly pitiful and even worse than us . Never if my life have I seen week after week results go our way even when we fucked up week after week. That won't happen again.  Aberdeen and Hibs will not be as bad next year. Kilmarnock will not stand still. The standard of our play last season was eye bleedingly bad. We had the 3rd worst defensive record in the league. I think we need 5 or 6 . If Spittal turns our to be the deal that obviously becomes 4/5 

Absolutely this.

We were awful last season but a combination of Tony Watt bailing us out from August - December, the majority of the rest of the league being just as awful and an utterly astounding amount of luck saw us finish in a false position.

So far we have signed one player and while I’m sure more will follow, I have absolutely ZERO faith in the manager and the scouting team bringing in the players that we need.

Only time will tell of course but I reckon that next season is going to be an absolute fucking riot for us.

6 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

Based on the fact that Aberdeen and Hibs end up in those positions once in a blue moon. Their resources generally ensure they wont. They can buy better players than most so most seasons they will not occupy 9th and 10th spot. However if you wish to wager me £100 Aberdeen and Hibs will be lower than 8th next season I'll bite your hand off for that bet.

• David locked this topic