2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Based on the fact that Aberdeen and Hibs end up in those positions once in a blue moon. Their resources generally ensure they wont. They can buy better players than most so most seasons they will not occupy 9th and 10th spot. However if you wish to wager me £100 Aberdeen and Hibs will be lower than 8th next season I'll bite your hand off for that bet.

Hibs have made an arse of things more often than not. How many relegations have they had since we last went down? 

7 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Based on the fact that Aberdeen and Hibs end up in those positions once in a blue moon. Their resources generally ensure they wont. They can buy better players than most so most seasons they will not occupy 9th and 10th spot. However if you wish to wager me £100 Aberdeen and Hibs will be lower than 8th next season I'll bite your hand off for that bet.

I’ll bet you 100 quid one of them finishes in the bottom six. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Absolutely this.

We were awful last season but a combination of Tony Watt bailing us out from August - December, the majority of the rest of the league being just as awful and an utterly astounding amount of luck saw us finish in a false position.

So far we have signed one player and while I’m sure more will follow, I have absolutely ZERO faith in the manager and the scouting team bringing in the players that we need.

Only time will tell of course but I reckon that next season is going to be an absolute fucking riot for us.

Some folk say that every season though, never happens.

Lets be positive until proved otherwise, the manager is happy with the training camp, he knows the funds available, getting new staff in, players to follow and a European game to kick off another season. We can't affect what other teams do or who they sign, they are so far all unknown quality some will be good some will flop but we can all support Motherwell with a hope the manager has learned from the tail end of last season.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

They can buy better players than most but have chosen Curtis Main , Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Funso Ojo, Matty Kennedy, Matty Longstaff, Marley Watkins etc.   I mean some of those players are better than others but none of them are a different class from provincial club level players.  You can say the same for Hibs.

Aberdeen have been dire under their last three managers, will probably lose their two best players (already lost one) and have a manager who has been causing a lot of backscene turmoil and has never finish Top 6 in his career.

Meanwhile Hibs are a giant question mark with a manager untested in Scotland, still no proven Martin Boyle replacement, a giant squad of aging players (Marshall, Hanlon, McGregor, Stevenson, McGinn etc) and mediocrity, Josh Doig looking like going down south and probably Ryan Porteous being suspended for half the season.

Aberdeen and Hibs should be finishing Top 6 but too often they don't and I don't see anything to suggest that either of them are guaranteed Top 6 football next year.  I mean they might finish Top 6 but you can pretty much say that about any team.  

Would anyone be super surprised if Derek McInnes outperforms Jim Goodwin next season?  I don't even think McInnes that good a manager but I wouldn't.

4 hours ago, andalg said:

Wouldn't it be great to go back to the good old days when we signed a raft of quality players in the Summer and were looking forward to a successful season

mwell.jpg

Distinct lack of quality in that photo, from McClair back,  good guy, wk, wk, wk,wk, wk, wk, wk

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Distinct lack of quality in that photo, from McClair back,  good guy, wk, wk, wk,wk, wk, wk, wk

Who are you counting as a good guy in that photo ??? Not McClair surely ? (The original McCair was a good guy, the one that came back was a wk).

7 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Some folk say that every season though, never happens.

Maybe, but given how we played for the majority of last season and our managers baffling line ups and constant tinkering then it doesn’t bode well. Does anyone really see much, if anything changing next season? I’m not saying I think we’ll be relegated, but we won’t be far off it I fear.

5 hours ago, andalg said:

Wouldn't it be great to go back to the good old days when we signed a raft of quality players in the Summer and were looking forward to a successful season

mwell.jpg

At least we had a decent home kit then, white shorts aside.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AllyMax said:

Who are you counting as a good guy in that photo ??? Not McClair surely ? (The original McCair was a good guy, the one that came back was a wk).

Yes it was McClair the good guy even the one that came back had more talent than the other 7 wasters combined.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:23 AM, Onthefringes said:

It’s a big ‘if’ on the clubs mentioned. I think there’s an over emphasis on the abilities of messrs Goodwin & McKinnes for starters.

I'm with you on this OTF. Goodwin has yet to prove himself with a bigger club. As for McInnes, I've never bought in to love in.  I'm not expecting him to transform Killie - he might improve them a bit but not transform them.

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

That wasn't the assumption the assumption was that neither would improve on their last year's finish. If you want to bet me Hibs won't finish above 9th or Aberdeen above 10th I'll happily wager you £100.

That’s a truly ridiculous thing to offer even money on, and you know it.

What Aberdeen, Hibs, Kilmarnock or Dundee United do doesn't really matter, as we can't influence that. We'll approach the season in the same way we always do, which is to first of all avoid relegation, then when we're fairly sure that's not on the cards we'll be pushing for top six. 

22 minutes ago, David said:

What Aberdeen, Hibs, Kilmarnock or Dundee United do doesn't really matter, as we can't influence that. We'll approach the season in the same way we always do, which is to first of all avoid relegation, then when we're fairly sure that's not on the cards we'll be pushing for top six. 

Exactly, for every club that improves another will struggle. We just need to make sure we’re not one of the worst two and go from there. That’s not a lack of ambition it’s the reality for a good half a dozen teams in this league every season.

• Like 3

• David locked this topic