2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

I’d be surprised if O’Donnell didn’t move on tbh. He’s 30 now and regardless of how he has performed for us is still an established international player with a fair bit of pedigree. I don’t think he’ll get a move to Celtic or anything as big as that but a move to an Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs or down south will surely be on the table for him.

Not sure why those clubs might be interested. All could have had him (as an established international) at the time we signed him. Talk of moves to Engalnd, petered out and none of the clubs mentioned showed the slightest interest or they could have had him. make of that what you will.

5 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Not for someone who thinks Aberdeen and Hibs won't be better next year.  That was the entire point I can't for a minute believe they will be any worse than they were last year. If others are so confident they will be it's up to them to take the bet.  An improvement is anything better than they did last year.  That's all I said at the outset that they will be better than last year. 

I'll take the bet. Aberdeen will be 6ish or better. Hibs worse. Have you seen who they have signed???

Given that we were pish with 3 at the back in the final league fixtures and had to change it every single time hopefully this isn't a sign we are moving to a first choice back 3/5.

Brining in another goal scorer to pair with KVV remains the top priority.

• Like 1

I don't think we have used O Donnell properly different player when he is bombing forward all the time decent crosser and loves a shot at goal.Good signing McGinn for a year however the fact frontline has not been addressed yet is worrying.Never getting a full season out of Van Veen need something asap really don't fancy the forwards we have at all.

11 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I don't think we have used O Donnell properly different player when he is bombing forward all the time decent crosser and loves a shot at goal.Good signing McGinn for a year however the fact frontline has not been addressed yet is worrying.Never getting a full season out of Van Veen need something asap really don't fancy the forwards we have at all.

The window has only been open for two weeks, and we don't kick our first competitive ball for another month or so.

2 hours ago, David said:

Maybe this means the end of the road for young Max at Motherwell? Couldn't we see O'Donnell and McGinn as our two players for that full-back position instead of one or the other backed up by Johnston?

I think this is actually an opportunity for Max as I think this means O'Donnell is moving on.

If we can get more in terms of performance from McGinn than we got from SOD for less money this a good move, the fact its a one year deal suggests we're looking for someone (Max) to step up next year and become the first choice right back. I think O'Donnell will be left to find a new club for no to minimal fee to free up the wages.

Lots of ifs and buts in there and some wild assumptions but it's what I think is the plan with this.

16 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

I think this is actually an opportunity for Max as I think this means O'Donnell is moving on.

If we can get more in terms of performance from McGinn than we got from SOD for less money this a good move, the fact its a one year deal suggests we're looking for someone (Max) to step up next year and become the first choice right back. I think O'Donnell will be left to find a new club for no to minimal fee to free up the wages.

Lots of ifs and buts in there and some wild assumptions but it's what I think is the plan with this.

I know the fans tend to believe O'Donnell is shit and nothing more than an imposter, but if we are in a position to offload a Scottish international for no fee despite him being contracted to the club until the end of May next year then the manager must have a hell of a lot of faith in Johnston. 

Personally, I don't rate McGinn as being better than O'Donnell, so let's hope Alexander knows what he's doing. One thing I'm fairly certain of is if we offer up O'Donnell for nothing there'll be no shortage of teams willing to jump all over that.

I was very pro O'Donnell when he signed but I'm afraid for whatever reason it's just not worked out and I don't think anyone can say he was unfortunate to lose his spot in the XI.

My priority signings this close season were two new full backs.  That's one of them.

Now getting a right back off the wage bill that was dropped on numerous occasions last season, contributed various absolute howlers and is probably one of the highest paid players at the club seems like a decent enough idea....

We've brought in a more creative midfielder, a right back.....maybe if O'Donnell leaves it frees up money for a left back and a striker.

30 minutes ago, David said:

I know the fans tend to believe O'Donnell is shit and nothing more than an imposter, but if we are in a position to offload a Scottish international for no fee despite him being contracted to the club until the end of May next year then the manager must have a hell of a lot of faith in Johnston. 

Personally, I don't rate McGinn as being better than O'Donnell, so let's hope Alexander knows what he's doing. One thing I'm fairly certain of is if we offer up O'Donnell for nothing there'll be no shortage of teams willing to jump all over that.

Not all fans. The vocal minority. And the majority of those were against him from day one. 

Other than that I agree.

I think O'Donnell is a good player, I don't think he's been great for us but I don't think he's been shite either. May be fair to say he's not delivered as much as I'd hoped he would but he's been generally okay.

That being said said I'd assume he is one of the higher earners and I think we can get performances better than what he's given so far for less money.

SOD is far from the worst of the shaky links in our team. He is certainly not perfect and has his fair share of howlers but in my opinion his Scottish International status contributes to him getting a hard time as there are others in the team of a far worse standard.  Running the line of the east stand for half a game probably doesn't help matters either, where every bad decision, tackle, pass is 100% obvious.

16 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

McGinn = roaster.
Underwhelming signing

We sign a player with no SPL experience,  limited appearances etc from the lower leagues in Scotland and England and he gets dismissed as shite etc. 

So we sign an experienced player from another SPL club, played over 30 matches last season, called up to the international squad etc etc and he still gets dismissed as  being " a roaster and underwhelming" before he has kicked a. Ball., aye OK then :doh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

We sign a player with no SPL experience,  limited appearances etc from the lower leagues in Scotland and England and he gets dismissed as shite etc. 

So we sign an experienced player from another SPL club, played over 30 matches last season, called up to the international squad etc etc and he still gets dismissed as  being " a roaster and underwhelming" before he has kicked a. Ball., aye OK then :doh:

Not good enough for Hibs then not good enough for us . Simples 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

Not good enough for Hibs then not good enough for us . Simples 

I’m still trying to work out how we sign anyone you think is good enough Yodo. You don’t want players from the English lower league’s, none league, the Scottish Championship, or established Premiership players. Are you looking for us to sign the better players from a Rangers, Hearts, Celtic ?. The top players from the English Championship or even English Premier league ?

I’m guessing the likes of Hibs have a playing budget three times ours, do you think we should be paying wages comparable to their’s and Hearts in order to compete for the same players ?

We all want the club to be signing the best players possible but they do not come cheap. It’s easy to just keep saying “players that are an improvement on what we have” but it’s not that simple without spending more money. How much debt would you be comfortable with ?

I am not sure what future for SOD is but do feel sorry for him. Had some howlers last season and took a lot of unfair stick where other players (KVV an example could make lot of errors plus loads of bookings) but get less criticism. Happens at all clubs, always have players that can be scapegoats.  With regards to Spittal and mcginn I am happy to sign them ahead of lower league English dross which we have done a lot (with odd gem discovered),. As John Lennon said about new signings...."All we are sayyyyyyying......is give them a chance"

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m still trying to work out how we sign anyone you think is good enough Yodo. You don’t want players from the English lower league’s, none league, the Scottish Championship, or established Premiership players. Are you looking for us to sign the better players from a Rangers, Hearts, Celtic ?. The top players from the English Championship or even English Premier league ?

I’m guessing the likes of Hibs have a playing budget three times ours, do you think we should be paying wages comparable to their’s and Hearts in order to compete for the same players ?

We all want the club to be signing the best players possible but they do not come cheap. It’s easy to just keep saying “players that are an improvement on what we have” but it’s not that simple without spending more money. How much debt would you be comfortable with ?

Kept it to two lines so u in particular would understand
Not good enough for Hibs then not good enough for us 

14 minutes ago, Yodo said:

So given that we should be signing players of the same level, or better than Hibs would deem as good enough for them right ? To do that we would need to be offering the same wages or better right? How do we do that ?

I would rather you did not just keep everything to two throw away lines and actually came up with a detailed explanation of your thought processes. You want a team of better quality players, how do we fund that ? Do we start building up debt again ? Do we look at a smaller squad ? Do we cut back in other areas such as youth and put that money into the first team budget ? What other ideas do you have ?

It’s easy to just keep throwing insults around every time someone questions your posts, I could do the same but it achieves nothing. I’m actually genuinely interested in your thoughts.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Scott McDonald wasn't good enough for a contract at Dundee United. 

John Sutton wasn't good enough for a rubbish Hearts team. 

Going back, Mickey Weir wasn't good enough for Hibs.

Keith Lasley wasn't good enough for Blackpool.

You know, it's almost like sometimes players thrive in a different environment. Or managers of other clubs get it wrong...

• David locked this topic