2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

Or Wullie P for Hibs if we are being nostalgic. That Graham - Pettigrew double act was some partnership given they were not good enough going by some folks criteria. And let's add Vic Davidson.

Was Wullie P not also rejected by Alloa or something ?

12 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

Spoke to a taxi driver today, says he dropped 3 Japanese guy ‘s off at the Moorings, staying there apparently,  one was interpreter, seemingly  guys are here as trialists ??

Only one was the player, so trialist. And he’s not a defensive midfielder…

On 6/23/2022 at 8:57 PM, Yorkyred said:

So given that we should be signing players of the same level, or better than Hibs would deem as good enough for them right ? To do that we would need to be offering the same wages or better right? How do we do that ?

I would rather you did not just keep everything to two throw away lines and actually came up with a detailed explanation of your thought processes. You want a team of better quality players, how do we fund that ? Do we start building up debt again ? Do we look at a smaller squad ? Do we cut back in other areas such as youth and put that money into the first team budget ? What other ideas do you have ?

It’s easy to just keep throwing insults around every time someone questions your posts, I could do the same but it achieves nothing. I’m actually genuinely interested in your thoughts.

He was good enough for hibs 30 times last year and did he not extend his contract another year,mibee this new guy just doesnt fancy him,or mibee mcginn doesnt fancy new manager,i think its decent bit of business 

2 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Arthur Gnahoua, anyone heard that he’s reported to have signed?

Looking at his stats and, I don't mean it badly, he's unlikely to improve at the age of 29, it would be a no from me. But like you say, reading some reports that he's signed...

Looks like he was decent enough in League 2 as a winger but struggled to do well in League 1.  

Rule of thumb for me is league 1 generally a step up on salaries etc that we pay.  Many league 1 players would step right into our team. 
League 2.   It's more of a lucky bag, few make a positive impact.  Many don't 

KVV & Woolery pivoted from both Lg1 to 2..  Suspect it's that type of level. Higher pedigree than likes of Amaluzor .

Personally I'd be happy to scrap the search for wingers , rely on wingbacks for forward play and give more game time to the likes of Tierney. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Gnahoua

Red top rumour that highly rated Bailey Rice is attracting interest from the gruesome twosome and Manchester City.  I think this has been on the go for several months.  He wasn't in the list of lads who stepped up to the professional ranks. No doubt the club is trying to retain him but the lure of big names may turn his and his parents heads.  I think the club will be due some compensation although it'll be minimal; we can negotiate with add ons etc. Not a great situation losing top rated youngsters before they make the breakthrough but thats life. 

28 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Red top rumour that highly rated Bailey Rice is attracting interest from the gruesome twosome and Manchester City.  I think this has been on the go for several months.  He wasn't in the list of lads who stepped up to the professional ranks. No doubt the club is trying to retain him but the lure of big names may turn his and his parents heads.  I think the club will be due some compensation although it'll be minimal; we can negotiate with add ons etc. Not a great situation losing top rated youngsters before they make the breakthrough but thats life. 

From my admittedly limited understanding of how this works today... I think this whole system needs to be revised and updated... as it acts as a massive disincentive for smaller clubs to develop players (thereby eventually resulting in fewer clubs having academies... a smaller pool of potential players... who because they develop at different speeds / stages, some may be lost to the game). The bigger clubs can hoover up high potential boys and take a chance on paying the limited compensation when they're teenagers, and the smaller clubs lose out on potentially much larger transfer fees later on... not to mention the chance to see brilliant young players in the first team for a season or two. There could be a sliding scale of much more significant compensation, e.g. 10 appearances in a top tier league = £1m... 30 appearances in a top tier league  = £5m... 5 appearances in the Champions League = £1m... etc. The top players will still end up at the richer clubs,  but at least there'll be a better incentive for clubs like ours to have great academies, and with the dough spread a bit more widely, it might even result in a more level playing field. It's just so depressing to see our youth internationals leaving before they've even signed a pro contract, and we get a relatively paltry sum for the trouble of developing them for a number of years.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Somebody needs to remind him of how Paul Slane’s career path panned out when he left at 17. 

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

Somebody needs to remind him of how Paul Slane’s career path panned out when he left at 17. 

It's certainly no coincidence that the youngsters who have moved on with their careers are the ones who racked up a decent amount of first team appearances for us first.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

It's certainly no coincidence that the youngsters who have moved on with their careers are the ones who racked up a decent amount of first team appearances for us first.

It’s hard to beat experience which is why I am expecting to see the likes of Shields, Woolery, Slattery and KVV performances to improve and be more consistent. 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

It’s hard to beat experience which is why I am expecting to see the likes of Shields, Woolery, Slattery and KVV performances to improve and be more consistent. 

Our forwards are some of the most experienced players in the squad already only Slattery out of the 4 quoted could be described as inexperienced

29 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Our forwards are some of the most experienced players in the squad already only Slattery out of the 4 quoted could be described as inexperienced

I was really specifically meaning experience of the Scottish premier league. 

22 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I was really specifically meaning experience of the Scottish premier league. 

With the amount of time you have been here and the number of posts you’ve made, you should know to be very specific and not the slightest vague - tut, tut, tut. :)

• Haha 2

• David locked this topic