2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

I’m with spudmfc / Tierney is a cracking talent and be a very decent no10.

also agree that shields needs some slack and be good as a forward pair .

what was obvious last year and is still obvious is ditch the front 3 rotation . Appreciate it makes as narrow but also create  space for wingbacks to get forward .

I think one of the key questions for this year is if Ojala can be the player we all hoped he would be. I'm going yo give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was always playing through something and he'll be like a new signing this season. Maybe Sondre will settle now he's been here that bit longer and avoid the stupid stuff. 

I do think there will be another couple added to the squad but I don't imagine they'll be at left back or centre half. 

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

what was obvious last year and is still obvious is ditch the front 3 rotation . Appreciate it makes as narrow but also create  space for wingbacks to get forward .

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

WINGBACKS????,...SOD's best games last year were for scotland,im led t believe mcginn played right in a back 3 for hibs so that might free up the option of a flexible 5 in midfield,does put a question mark on the left side though,can rarely remember our fullbacks getting t the byline n putting crosses in bcos of the rigid system GA deployed

3 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

I do think there will be another couple added to the squad but I don't imagine they'll be at left back or centre half. 

Lewis Strapp from Morton would be a no bad shout for LB, as I remember he tore our defence a new one when we played them last season. 22 or 23 years old so someone to develop and possibly sell on. 

36 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Lewis Strapp from Morton would be a no bad shout for LB, as I remember he tore our defence a new one when we played them last season. 22 or 23 years old so someone to develop and possibly sell on. 

Glossing over the fact he’s extended his stay at Morton, if we went for everyone who ‘tore our defence a new one’ last season we’d be heading for admin again. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Glossing over the fact he’s extended his stay at Morton, if we went for everyone who ‘tore our defence a new one’ last season we’d be heading for admin again. 

An extended contract isn’t that great a barrier and I’m sure Morton wouldn’t be hard to deal with. 
Not saying that we should sign him, just thought that he would be an improvement and a potential money earner. 

1 minute ago, Stuwell2 said:

An extended contract isn’t that great a barrier and I’m sure Morton wouldn’t be hard to deal with. 
Not saying that we should sign him, just thought that he would be an improvement and a potential money earner. 

It is if Morton aren’t in the market to sell.

As I suspect the club do, just don’t see the value in recruiting from Championship where development/transfer fees may be involved.

The management/recruitment team have made their squad choices for that left back berth. Anything from on here expecting different is just noise.

Seen on the P&B thread someone linking us with Jordan McGhee at Dundee. Got to assume their new gaffer is saying he can find a new club to free up some wages or he had a relegation release clause as I couldn't see us paying for him.

Although most likely it's just made up nonsense.

However I do think he's the sort of player we'll see come in, a "defensive midfielder" with plenty of running in them.

Hardly an exciting signing but I can see the logic in it. Though as I said above, probably bollocks.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:01 PM, spudmfc said:

I hear alot of talk abour more forwards...we have Tierney n efford, granted the jury is out on efford,but remember where they've come from and when,moving mid season n trying t get up to speed at a higher level than where they played previously must b tough.a full pre season behind them n this year we may see the best of them

This.

It's really amazing that a lot of people have written off Efford after him, as you say, coming in mid-season, playing a whole 16 matches for the club (not all starts), scoring 3 goals and getting an assist.

Scottish football is a whole different beast from US or European football and Efford has struggled with the physical side of the game but you have to give guys a chance to settle in and adapt.

It might turn out he's not good enough but our single biggest problem as a football club over the, say,  last 5 seasons, has been the absolutely monumental turn over of players.

We need a settled side and we need to promote 'Maguire' level players and give them game time.  Guys like Quinn, Murphy, Clarkson etc weren't great when they first came into the team and we need to get back to developing players over 2 or 3 seasons instead of concentrating on mercurial talent that gets sold on after 6 months to a year.  

Of course if another Turnbull comes along, great, but we need a longer term strategy for player development, either bringing players in or through our youth squad.

• Like 2

In reply to C&A’s post…

He’s not a defensive midfielder though? Filled in there when not injured last season. Decent pedigree of where he’s been at a young age, good engine by all accounts. Read before his favoured position is right back & can play centre back. Ticks versatility box, would need a dominant centre back alongside? I’m not sure any of our current crop are dominant.

Has Motherwell supporting regulars as family.

55 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

In reply to C&A’s post…

He’s not a defensive midfielder though? Filled in there when not injured last season. Decent pedigree of where he’s been at a young age, good engine by all accounts. Read before his favoured position is right back & can play centre back. Ticks versatility box, would need a dominant centre back alongside? I’m not sure any of our current crop are dominant.

Has Motherwell supporting regulars as family.

Fair comment, but could this be a reverse of Tom Hately, he thinks he's a right back but he's really best in midfield? 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

This.

It's really amazing that a lot of people have written off Efford after him, as you say, coming in mid-season, playing a whole 16 matches for the club (not all starts), scoring 3 goals and getting an assist.

Scottish football is a whole different beast from US or European football and Efford has struggled with the physical side of the game but you have to give guys a chance to settle in and adapt.

I think people have given up with him because he can't pass the ball five yards.

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

This.

It might turn out he's not good enough but our single biggest problem as a football club over the, say,  last 5 seasons, has been the absolutely monumental turn over of players.

We need a settled side and we need to promote 'Maguire' level players and give them game time.  Guys like Quinn, Murphy, Clarkson etc weren't great when they first came into the team and we need to get back to developing players over 2 or 3 seasons instead of concentrating on mercurial talent that gets sold on after 6 months to a year.  

Of course if another Turnbull comes along, great, but we need a longer term strategy for player development, either bringing players in or through our youth squad.

Monumental turnover of players is part of the modern game for teams at our level, is there really any player from last year you would be sorry to see go. I'm all for bringing in our own youngsters, and Maguire and Cornelius will hopefully benefit from last year but its a hard task bringing through youngsters when we can't even hold onto some of our youngest talent. I think there needs to be more protection to clubs bringing through players

Really worrying the lack of signings for the start of the season, our defence was horrendous last season, anyone could score against us, so to only bring in a right back when we have two in SOD and Max Johnstone is baffling, left side has been very week all last year, another forward is a must, and for those who want to defend Connor Shields and Efford did you go to games last season, if you did then no discussion 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Really worrying the lack of signings for the start of the season, our defence was horrendous last season, anyone could score against us, so to only bring in a right back when we have two in SOD and Max Johnstone is baffling, left side has been very week all last year, another forward is a must, and for those who want to defend Connor Shields and Efford did you go to games last season, if you did then no discussion 

Agree with the first part regarding the LB position but I do think the Shields has something to offer and we seen that last season. Efford not so much but he does deserve a chance to see if he improves.
I read somewhere a few years ago, a manager saying that most players take 6 months to settle in at a new club before you can start to evaluate them. 

1 hour ago, Stevie73 said:

I’ve thought this for weeks now, this up and coming season is going to be an absolute shit show. The squad we have just now has nothing in the way of attacking threat or creative spark and we don’t appear to be doing anything to address this. Efford and Shields will not do, they’re just not good enough at the level we play at. I’ve no doubt we will bring in one or two panic buys in the closing days of the transfer window for the media team to produce a nice wee video for Twitter about, but I just don’t see us making the signings we need that will make us any better than we were last season.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevie73 said:

Whats baffling is uve mentioned max johnstone,he's not yet 20 and been on loan for a season to QoS,how can u see him as competition to sod

Is the right back you're refering to paul mcginn?,an experienced international player who played on the right of a back 3 for hibs that can also play RB,its a bit of a contradiction when u moan about us leaking goals and we go and sign an international defender

5 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I’ve thought this for weeks now, this up and coming season is going to be an absolute shit show. The squad we have just now has nothing in the way of attacking threat or creative spark and we don’t appear to be doing anything to address this. Efford and Shields will not do, they’re just not good enough at the level we play at. I’ve no doubt we will bring in one or two panic buys in the closing days of the transfer window for the media team to produce a nice wee video for Twitter about, but I just don’t see us making the signings we need that will make us any better than we were last season.

Unfortunately we are not in a position to be the first choice club for players coming up from England.  We have to wait until nearer the end of transfer window to finalise any deals when they have assessed all their options.  No coincidence both our signings are from Scotland 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I still think we're short of 3 players: a left back, a dominant central defender and a back up main striker. That shopping list may well depend on contracted players moving out though. 

Agree on that but we also badly need midfielders who can provide creativity and support to the front line. We have a good striker in KvV but he has no support with the system and the players we have. I’ve described us as a ‘workmanlike’ side which is fine but we need to be able to offset that with something in the way of flair and goal threat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, andalg said:

Unfortunately we are not in a position to be the first choice club for players coming up from England.  We have to wait until nearer the end of transfer window to finalise any deals when they have assessed all their options.  No coincidence both our signings are from Scotland 

I absolutely get that and also that our budget is limited. But that is why we need to be shrewd with the signings we are able to make and we need to get it right as often as we can. 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic