2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I still think we're short of 3 players: a left back, a dominant central defender and a back up main striker. That shopping list may well depend on contracted players moving out though. 

Well we do have 3 trialists. 2 attackers…

Window doesn't close until 1st September. While it's good to have signings in early it's even better to have the right signings in by the time the window closes - even if that's late August.

This is even more true for loan signings from England as most clubs down south don't figure out who is available for loan until later in the summer.

• Like 1

Our season starts in two weeks time with a Europa League match though. And while, of course, we are not going to do anything of note in that competition we have seen before that a disastrous European tie with an underprepared squad can set the tone for the season ahead, ie. Stjarnan in 2014.

• Confused 1

On 7/5/2022 at 8:29 PM, Coatsy said:

Monumental turnover of players is part of the modern game for teams at our level, is there really any player from last year you would be sorry to see go. I'm all for bringing in our own youngsters, and Maguire and Cornelius will hopefully benefit from last year but its a hard task bringing through youngsters when we can't even hold onto some of our youngest talent. I think there needs to be more protection to clubs bringing through players

Maybe not 'sorry to see go' but when you are bringing in similar level players or, often, poorer players I think you are better sticking with a stable squad. 

Obviously you have to freshen things up too and try and improve weaker areas of the squad but if we had basically the same core over the next three years I think we'd improve.

Player turnover might have increased in modern times but I still think ours has been extremely excessive.  How many guys have we brought in in January that have literally never played for us? Or barely played?  That alone would give you a nice list.

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Maybe not 'sorry to see go' but when you are bringing in similar level players or, often, poorer players I think you are better sticking with a stable squad. 

Obviously you have to freshen things up too and try and improve weaker areas of the squad but if we had basically the same core over the next three years I think we'd improve.

Player turnover might have increased in modern times but I still think ours has been extremely excessive.  How many guys have we brought in in January that have literally never played for us? Or barely played?  That alone would give you a nice list.

Have to agree that Alexanders January business has been an absolute shambles.

19 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

How many guys have we brought in in January that have literally never played for us? Or barely played?  That alone would give you a nice list.

As has been said before, most teams had to inflate their squads last season due to potential Covid suspensions and issues. That led to a lot of players being brought in who were nothing more than emergency backup in case we were hit with a Covid run.

As such, I'm looking at this window as the first time we're really seeing Alexander operating as he would have wanted to, and I'm actually glad we're not just bringing in a raft of new players, many of whom wouldn't fit the bill.

• Like 1

It's not really Ins and Outs for us but I see Josh Doig and Lewis Ferguson are off to Serie A for about the same money we got for Turnbull. A great deal for Hibs in particular as Doig is pish.

Aberdeen have brought in two guys who got relegated from the top flight of Hungarian football. I can see Goodwin being sacked by Christmas.

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

IAberdeen have brought in two guys who got relegated from the top flight of Hungarian football. I can see Goodwin being sacked by Christmas.

Imagine last years Aberdeen minus Ramsay, Ferguson and Ramirez.

Ouch.

7 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Josh Morris has signed for us, 30yr old left sided midfielder. Looking forward to hear being written off before he has even kicked a ball,. Welcome to the well Josh 

Plays either side of the front three according to the 'fishel....

Josh Morris, as described by the club website;

“The 30-year-old attacker, who operates on either side of a front three or deeper in midfield, has penned a two-year deal with the club.“

:lol:

We are actually becoming a parody of ourselves now.

That said, welcome to the club Josh Morris. You have my full support. :cheers:

Just now, Well Well said:

Played alongside Van Veen as well at Scunthorpe so that may also help with him settling in.

107 appearances and 35 goals during his 3 years at Scunthorpe seems him and KVV were the main 2 goalscorers, Here's hoping they can start up the partnership again.

13 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

107 appearances and 35 goals during his 3 years at Scunthorpe seems him and KVV were the main 2 goalscorers, Here's hoping they can start up the partnership again.

Hope he carries that form rather than what he's done since 2019, albeit I don't know if goals are what he's judged on , is he a midfielder, winger or something else. 

Certainly miss the years of brining people like Coyne, Coyle, Skippy, Higdon, Sutton who were all out and out strikers .   Not saying Morris won't add value,  more that signing strikers who scored goals regularly would be nice to have.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Certainly sounds promising right enough. 

9 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Was he injured last season? 6 starts in League 2 is poor going. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/josh-morris/leistungsdaten/spieler/121391/plus/0?saison=2021
According to transfer market he started 21 games and mostly all 90 minutes but from January onwards didn’t play or in any squads so to hazard a guess probably was injured.

18 minutes ago, supermarv said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/josh-morris/leistungsdaten/spieler/121391/plus/0?saison=2021
According to transfer market he started 21 games and mostly all 90 minutes but from January onwards didn’t play or in any squads so to hazard a guess probably was injured.

And a 2yr deal,. Hmmmmm hope it's not a gamble. Fingers crossed 

• David locked this topic