2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

3 hours ago, David said:

I see this reaction for 99% of the signings we make, and it makes me ask, what exactly are fans expecting? Household names that we all recognise? Prolific strikers who have been banging them in the season or two before?

It doesn't work that way. There has been maybe one or two signings in recent times that we've made where I haven't reacted by saying "never heard of him, let's see what he has to offer." 

My issue isn't with the player - he may be a decent midfielder/winger.  I'm personally bored to tears of this 'he can play anywhere in the front 3'. at least with KVV he was singed as a striker - go sign another one of those please.  

I also don't understand the pile up of decent players for the same position - multiple right backs, centre halves and now midfield players - unless we're moving away from the 4-3-3 I've no clue what the plan is.,

20 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

Check your maths, 293 / 54 = 5.4 so a goal every 5th or 6th game - unless you’ve missed typed your figures or my maths is worse than I thought. 
Not arguing with where he’s from but at least I’ll give him a chance. 
Maybe you should stop the head banging and save the brain cells :)

Okay pedant! :)  I cocked up - divided 293 by 18! Duh!  However I stand by the rest of my post.  We’re already well served in the forward area with Efford, Van Veen, Tierney,  Shields , Mahon and Woolery so this guy could end up being a bench-warmer.   IMO all of our problems last season were in central defence and midfield and we’ve done precious little to address that.

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

We’re a selling club so when if they price ie right he’ll be away. 

If it's a decent offer then it should be considered but only if replacement lined up. I like KVV but I do think he gets cut a lot of slack, if he was just Kevin Veen he would have got more pelters. His discipline last season was shocking and he missed about 4 or 5 games due to his petty bookings and when we had nowt options up front.  Again I hope he stays but if someone offered say £300k then it's hard to turn down 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Well Well said:

https://t.co/TFvhueTCDc
(https://twitter.com/Superligyolucom/status/1546901316013887488?t=q3i2FaFhiE8RCE-vWp3KJA&s=03

Woolery on the way out?. Fake account?

Summary - Sakaryaspor signed an agreement with Motherwell FC's left winger Kaiyne Woolery. Woolery will come to Sakarya and sign a contract tomorrow.

)

Surprised there hasnt been more comment on this story.

Anyone got any idea whether there is any truth in it?

I was hoping we would have been working hard on Woolery to get more out of him this season and that he might get an extended run in the team to show what he can do. I think he has ability and all the physical attributes to be succesful in the SPL, its whats between the ears thats holding him back imho. I was hoping that could be fixed by some good coaching.

I suppose if he is moved on, at least it frees up a wage to get someone else in. I cant imagine the club in question would be paying a fee for him, even if he is under contract.

3 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I was hoping we would have been working hard on Woolery to get more out of him this season and that he might get an extended run in the team to show what he can do. I think he has ability and all the physical attributes to be succesful in the SPL, its whats between the ears thats holding him back imho. I was hoping that could be fixed by some good coaching.

I suppose if he is moved on, at least it frees up a wage to get someone else in. I cant imagine the club in question would be paying a fee for him, even if he is under contract.

Well if hes under contract we wont be giving him to them for nothing.

35 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Well if hes under contract we wont be giving him to them for nothing.

Unless we have given up on him and are actively trying to move him on?

If be disappointed if that were the case, but Id be surprised if they paid a fee for him on last seasons limited performances.

14 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Unless we have given up on him and are actively trying to move him on?

If be disappointed if that were the case, but Id be surprised if they paid a fee for him on last seasons limited performances.

Maybe their scout has a season ticket at Ibrox...

3 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

We should set a self imposed deadline within the club that we don’t sell players within a certain time prior to our first competitive match. Make sure all the players are aware of it and stick to it. 

:lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

My issue isn't with the player - he may be a decent midfielder/winger.  I'm personally bored to tears of this 'he can play anywhere in the front 3'. at least with KVV he was singed as a striker - go sign another one of those please.  

Isn't that just modern football though?  The centre forward pairing is no more unfortunately and I'd rather 'anywhere in the front 3' than 'big guy that holds the ball up and flicks things on'.

That seems to be your choices these days. 

9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Suppose time will tell. Think most react with mirth when realising the random information is from the source who claimed we had signed the £15million rated Sofiane Feghouli from Galatasaray last summer.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, David said:

I see this reaction for 99% of the signings we make, and it makes me ask, what exactly are fans expecting? Household names that we all recognise? Prolific strikers who have been banging them in the season or two before?

It doesn't work that way. There has been maybe one or two signings in recent times that we've made where I haven't reacted by saying "never heard of him, let's see what he has to offer." 

I’m still surprised that folks don’t realise this is the norm, we have not signed a single high profile player under 4 different managers while I’ve been supporting the club, I don’t see how that’s going to change. It was interesting reading the feedback on the St Mirren Forum after their game with Northampton after the 3-1 defeat. Someone eventually pointed out that This league two team actually had an average  attendance last season a thousand higher than them. I was at one of the Nation league north play offs last season, level 6. There were 7500 there and they could have sold nearer 12000. High profile players cost big money.

12 hours ago, El Grew said:

Okay pedant! :)  I cocked up - divided 293 by 18! Duh!  However I stand by the rest of my post.  We’re already well served in the forward area with Efford, Van Veen, Tierney,  Shields , Mahon and Woolery so this guy could end up being a bench-warmer.   IMO all of our problems last season were in central defence and midfield and we’ve done precious little to address that.

It doesn’t even say that, though! It says he can play left wing or right wing and can also do a job centre mid.

Efford and Shields are bang average and Tierney has played about 10 games of senior football. It looks as if we have signed someone with a bit of quality and experience who has also linked up well with KVV in the past.

Just because we have signed a left winger doesn’t mean we haven’t/won’t/aren’t trying to sign a defender too. It’s not one or the other.

Rarely post here but to chip in on the Morris signing - on the off chance folk don't look at the thread on P&B.

He's not a winger. Burrows confirmed this on Twitter here after he was announced.

He's not a striker either. From 316 games tagged 207 were at left midfield.

17168750_ScreenShot2022-07-11at20_41_03.

Also, he's played 158 games for Alexander scoring 42 goals with 31 assists. Which I'd say is quite good for a midfielder but maybe I'm just easily impressed.

703070667_ScreenShot2022-07-11at20_44_59

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m still surprised that folks don’t realise this is the norm, we have not signed a single high profile player under 4 different managers while I’ve been supporting the club, I don’t see how that’s going to change. 

Ross McCormack.....

Obviously the less said about him the better though

I don't think anyone is looking for us to sign a household name or a high profile player. None of us had heard of Scott McDonald, Louis Moult or Cedric Kipre, all players we have made money from. I think a huge difference is the age where Morris is concerned. With those relatively young guys, there was a sense you were getting potential, you never knew how good they could become. Morris is 31 in September. And this doesn't feel like us signing a Bobby Russell or a Davie Cooper, a quality player who can still do a job at our level. This looks like signing a journeyman. He might well do a great job for us but don't expect fans to get excited by his arrival..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

This looks like signing a journeyman. He might well do a great job for us but don't expect fans to get excited by his arrival..

In case nobody had noticed our current squad is made up of "journeyman" players as is the case with all of the  other premiership teams outwith the ugly sisters, so Morris should fit in nicely

6 hours ago, GazzyB said:

It doesn’t even say that, though! It says he can play left wing or right wing and can also do a job centre mid.

Efford and Shields are bang average and Tierney has played about 10 games of senior football. It looks as if we have signed someone with a bit of quality and experience who has also linked up well with KVV in the past.

Just because we have signed a left winger doesn’t mean we haven’t/won’t/aren’t trying to sign a defender too. It’s not one or the other.

To be fair to Shields if you played him right through the middle then totally different player.If we sold KVV I would take the money invest in a decent left back and play Shields as striker I think he would bang them in.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

In case nobody had noticed our current squad is made up of "journeyman" players as is the case with all of the  other premiership teams outwith the ugly sisters, so Morris should fit in nicely

Don't disagree but don't expect an avalanche of enthusiasm when we sign another one. He might turn out to be a smashing player but not one to get any excitement on announcement...

22 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Don't disagree but don't expect an avalanche of enthusiasm when we sign another one. He might turn out to be a smashing player but not one to get any excitement on announcement...

To be fair I think given he market we are in these days, nobody we sign gets people excited, that comes after we know how they turn out ie, Moult, Higdon, kipre, etc.

• Like 2

• David locked this topic