2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

12 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

McGinn in a midfield 2? :swoon:

We should have a better idea of how we’ll set up after Saturday. 

I thought he'd played there abit but I may be mixing him up with Stephen McGinn...

Aye, Saturday should answer some questions. Although I won't be there, swore off friendlies a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Efford is brutal, he should be emergencies only until we can get shot of him. 

If we are relying on Spittal, Morris, Tierney and Goss to create in the final third it'll be a repeat of our form since the winter break and a new manager for Christmas.

Spittal is clearly capable of creating in the SPL.  Tierney is a young lad I've high hopes for this season and Morris has shown he can create in league one and two down south. 

I don't know what level of player you expect us to sign?

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

Spittal is clearly capable of creating in the SPL.  Tierney is a young lad I've high hopes for this season and Morris has shown he can create in league one and two down south. 

I don't know what level of player you expect us to sign?

Spittal played in midfield in a 4-3-3 for Ross County not as part of the front line which was Hungbo and RCC playing wide of Jordan White. 

I've already said what level of player I expect us to sign. Two attackers who are better than Shields and Efford with one being a similar level to Van Veen and Watt. 

34 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Spittal played in midfield in a 4-3-3 for Ross County not as part of the front line which was Hungbo and RCC playing wide of Jordan White. 

I've already said what level of player I expect us to sign. Two attackers who are better than Shields and Efford with one being a similar level to Van Veen and Watt. 

And what's the real difference between a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1? If you think of the forwards dripping back and the midfield 3 being a triangle with Spittal at the top of it it's effectively the same position he's playing in with a similar role. 

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

A similar level to Watt, ffs an alleged striker who has scored a total of 61 goals at club and international level in his 13 year career so far spread over 13 different clubs, only once reaching double figures in his 3 month purple patch with us then whored himself out to Dundee untd, scored 1 goal and disappeared into oblivion....aye OK then.

Just out of interest Watts stats show a goal every 4.9 games, Effords is currently 3.4 games from less than half of Watts appearances.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

If we are relying on Spittal, Morris, Tierney and Goss to create in the final third it'll be a repeat of our form since the winter break and a new manager for Christmas.

We’re doomed 

49 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

And what's the real difference between a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1? If you think of the forwards dripping back and the midfield 3 being a triangle with Spittal at the top of it it's effectively the same position he's playing in with a similar role. 

In 4-2-3-1 there are two players sitting in front of the defence that cover the full backs when they push up. 

Killie played it under Clarke with Dicker and Power as the two. Rangers used it under Gerrard with Kamara and Davis/Jack. We did not play that way at all last season with our midfield usually playing miles apart with just one holding. 

3-5-2 is a must this season 4-3-3 didnt work(how can i say that when we've finished 5th n qualified for europe)but by god we were awful t watch

Mcginn mugabe n lamie(not seen enough of mcginn)but imo thats our 3 best defenders for that set up

A fit maguire,slattery and deano would b a strong central 3 wi maguire sitting deeper

Wingbacks,SOD as we dont have anyone else,the left side is a bit of a headache,mcginley and carrol imo are better than what they've shown,both were left exposed bcos of the narrow 3 in midfield 

KVV is a no brainer,hes got everything you'd want in a striker,who do u partner him with,shields who has the pace,tierney who has the skill the new guy morris who has the experience and does have a lovely left foot(saw his video on u tube)and has partnered KVV previously,efford,who hasnt settled in yet

Only going on what we have as dont know enough about the new guys apart from mcginn who is better than what we have

Who'd b a manager,good luck GA

Portsmouth, Hibernian and Motherwell in three way transfer battle as Danny Cowley eyes defender

Portsmouth are keeping tabs on former Reading FC defender Terell Thomas but face competition from a number of other clubs for his services

By

Jonathan LowClub writer

• 09:00, 17 JUL 2022
  • Updated09:23, 17 JUL 2022

Portsmouth are keeping tabs on former Reading FC defender Terell Thomas but face competition from a number of other clubs for his services

Terell Thomas
Terell Thomas

Portsmouth are set to face a battle to acquire the services of free agent defender Terell Thomas.

The 26-year-old is on the look-out for a new club having been released by Championship side Reading at the end of last season.

The centre-back has taken part in Pompey's past two friendly matches against Bristol City and Gillingham as the Blues gear up for the new League One season.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/portsmouth-hibernian-motherwell-three-way-7342247

On 7/15/2022 at 8:59 AM, steelboy said:

Written off two of our new players before they've even kicked a competitive ball, eh? Got to love it.

4 hours ago, David said:

Written off two of our new players before they've even kicked a competitive ball, eh? Got to love it.

Spittal has been in Scottish football for years so we know roughly what we are getting. He was the third most creative player in a team that finished below us. 

Morris clearly has ability but he's not a forward. 

23 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Spittal has been in Scottish football for years so we know roughly what we are getting. He was the third most creative player in a team that finished below us. 

Players can respond and play differently in different teams though, remember. Look at Declan Gallagher with us and Aberdeen. Spittal could very well fit right into Alexander's approach and do really well here.

24 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Morris clearly has ability but he's not a forward. 

The manager knows more about him than any of us do, he's worked with him previously. Let's wait and see him at least play in a competitive game before writing them off. 

8 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Where is McGinley? He wasn't in the squad for the Partick and Sligo games, and now he's the only player not to have a photo in the updated squad section of the website.

He not injured. If he was to be let go I wouldn't mind either as it is a position that needs strengthened.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Where is McGinley? He wasn't in the squad for the Partick and Sligo games, and now he's the only player not to have a photo in the updated squad section of the website.

I had assumed he was still injured from last season.  We've heard nothing about him for quite some time.

18 minutes ago, Benson said:

Griffiths and Scott Allen free agents,surely worth a short term deal

wouldn't touch Griffiths with someone else's bargepole. Too much baggage, Dundee and Falkirk both gave him 2nd and 3rd chances and he blew it.  

I thought Allen was a midfielder - I'd rather we invest in someone who can score goals - a Moult type player. 

• David locked this topic