2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

47 minutes ago, Benson said:

Griffiths and Scott Allen free agents,surely worth a short term deal

Griffiths is a tough one. If he's on form and motivated he's probably as good a player as we're realistically ever going to get. 

I wouldn't be against him being brought in to train with us for a bit and give the management team a chance to see how he would fit into the squad, and for the backroom team to gauge his fitness.

I'd also make it a requirement that he immediately hand over control of all his social media accounts to the team who do the club social media!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I can't see Griffiths doing a job for anyone until he sorts out his head out - and unfortunately his track record suggests that isn't going to happen any time soon.

It could be that he just needs the right environment. We did it with Watt. 

But you could be right, he may be too far gone at this point.

I saw that ex-Aberdeen forward Chris Maguire had been told he could leave Lincoln City (currently in administration). Getting to the veteran stage at 33 but always seemed to have an eye for goal. I'm sure he's originally from around the Motherwell area too.

Don't think he played for Fleetwood, Scunthorpe or Salford right enough.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

I saw that ex-Aberdeen forward Chris Maguire had been told he could leave Lincoln City (currently in administration). Getting to the veteran stage at 33 but always seemed to have an eye for goal. I'm sure he's originally from around the Motherwell area too.

wouldnt mind him or Griffthis as a back up to Kvv we certainly need another 9 aswell as a pacy winger to give us options

33 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

similar goals for as KVV over his career.   You should be out there as a scout finding these sorts of available players :)

• Like 1

Would take Griffiths and immediately start him up front alongside KVV with wee Tierney in behind in a 4-3-1-2 with Tierney taking the ball off the midfield and turning as he did when he came on last week and slotting those two in on goal all night.

Probably in the minority though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Would take Griffiths and immediately start him up front alongside KVV with wee Tierney in behind in a 4-3-1-2 with Tierney taking the ball off the midfield and turning as he did when he came on last week and slotting those two in on goal all night.

Probably in the minority though.

I would as well, he’s a natural finisher and I don’t think he’s as bad a character as people make out. I think he’s just an idiot.

if he’s fit, which apparently he is and is physically fitter than he’s been in a couple of years, I’d get him on a park to get match fit. Shields just is not going to do in my view.

Give him a 3 month deal and see what he does.  

again, I’m probably in the minority too

1 minute ago, mio said:

I would as well, he’s a natural finisher and I don’t think he’s as bad a character as people make out. I think he’s just an idiot.

if he’s fit, which apparently he is and is physically fitter than he’s been in a couple of years, I’d get him on a park to get match fit. Shields just is not going to do in my view.

Give him a 3 month deal and see what he does.  

again, I’m probably in the minority too

All of Griffiths ongoing mental health issues have been well documented and he has been a bit of a waster in recent seasons but for me I would give him a chance as well, he certainly knows where the goals are. As you say a short term deal till January to see how it works out.

We took a punt on Watt who had a terrible scoring record so why not do the same with Griffiths, 189 goals for club and country so far

I caught a few interviews with Griffiths recently where he has acknowledged that he’s been a bit of a fanny and he’s on his last chance. Maybe, just maybe, he’s got his head screwed on at last.

Like I say though there’s zero chance.

Just now, GazzyB said:

I caught a few interviews with Griffiths recently where he has acknowledged that he’s been a bit of a fanny and he’s on his last chance. Maybe, just maybe, he’s got his head screwed on at last.

Like I say though there’s zero chance.

I actually think Alexander would take the punt on him as hes seen what an happen if he gets them in the right head frame like he don with Watt however dont think the fan reaction to it would be to kind.

Nope. I don't think we have the setup to accommodate him. We aren't able to get the best out of our current players who are fit and don't have baggage, so I don't have any confidence in us being the club to turn him around.

McGinley still needs an operation so will be out for a while. 

It's unbelievable that people are still talking about Griffiths after last season. The Snapchat stuff, the pyro at St Johnstone then being shite at Falkirk. The best place for him is Open Goal FC with Slane. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

We took a punt on Watt who had a terrible scoring record so why not do the same with Griffiths,

Watt wasnt trying to nonce underage girls via social media ?

53 minutes ago, ML1 said:

Watt wasnt trying to nonce underage girls via social media ?

We gave a contract to Gallacher who did jail time for battering somebody with a baseball bat,and nobody gave a feck,  Griffiths wasn't convicted of anything, so is GBH OK with the fans but what Griffiths allegedly done not? Everybody deserves a second chance, and we need a goal scorer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

We gave a contract to Gallacher who did jail time for battering somebody with a baseball bat,and nobody gave a feck,  Griffiths wasn't convicted of anything, so is GBH OK with the fans but what Griffiths allegedly done not? Everybody deserves a second chance, and we need a goal scorer.

Griffiths is finished and should be nowhere near Fir Park, he is a wasted talent just like Derek Riordan

48 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Griffiths is finished and should be nowhere near Fir Park, he is a wasted talent just like Derek Riordan

Indeed. The reason I don't want Griffiths at Fir Park is the fact he flopped so spectacularly in league one with Falkirk. The off the field stuff would be the stuff making me uneasy if he was worth signing on the basis of his current form...

As much as I don’t like Gallagher anymore he served his time got back playing and was playing to a high level for Livingston and yes everyone does deserve a second chance, so we signed him on the back of him being in the form of his life.

Griffiths on the other hand has had mental issues for what 4/5 years now? Went on loan to Dundee scored 2 goals in 15 league games and then 2 goals in 12 league games in league 1 for Falkirk and career rapidly dwindling downwards.

I’m probably as anxious as anyone for the season ahead with our squad seemingly thin on quality but let’s give it until the window is shut admittedly I’d have liked a signing before Sligo but not going to happen. Let’s stop chucking daft suggestions like Leigh Griffiths around.

2 hours ago, Wellfan91 said:

Been a quiet topic with the recent manager (he I will not name) departure, however I did see an article from more than one source saying we have signed the big goalie Aston Oxborough on a 3 year deal, does anyone know if that has now been kiboshed?

If we sign him, that means Kelly is off. Otherwise, why would we need 4 keepers?

• David locked this topic