2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

Be interesting to see how many of the youth team are ready to step in. . 

although 17/18 years old some are highly thought of and about the same age as when we first played Hammell / Reynolds etc .

im sure we have a very promising centre half amongst others . 

would be happy to bring through some of these youngsters as long as protected by some seasoned pros who can help them through 

A left back will certainly be high on the list now as Jake Carroll is out for the rest of the season with a ruptured patellar tendon. Thats a few bad injuries he has endured with us. We have had some bad luck in recent times with weird injuries occurring, Tanner, Fox, Hartley all spring to mind.

13 minutes ago, maz said:

A left back will certainly be high on the list now as Jake Carroll is out for the rest of the season with a ruptured patellar tendon. Thats a few bad injuries he has endured with us. We have had some bad luck in recent times with weird injuries occurring, Tanner, Fox, Hartley all spring to mind.

Personal view is we could move to a back 3 and forfeit the need for a left back. 
Equally we have 3 right backs  - one of them could switch and do a decent job.
That said if there's someone who can all value then great. 

I'd rather we got 1 or 2 very decent centre halves , a playmaker or winger + a centre forward.   What I'm not close to is how many of our young guns can fill those positions. 

1 hour ago, maz said:

Our new manager seems well aware of what positions we need filled, he is hoping to add to the squad according to the daily record.

Steven Hammell targets Motherwell recruitment after becoming manager - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62518234

22 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Be interesting to see how many of the youth team are ready to step in. . 

although 17/18 years old some are highly thought of and about the same age as when we first played Hammell / Reynolds etc .

im sure we have a very promising centre half amongst others . 

would be happy to bring through some of these youngsters as long as protected by some seasoned pros who can help them through 

Will be interesting to see if we do any better at retaining our young players if they see a clear pathway into the first team. Perhaps that disconnect when Alexander was in charge is what led some of them such as Bailey Rice to move elsewhere?

Might as well make a decent wedge while not getting into the first team!

A real shame for Carroll personally, poor guy has had horrendous luck with injuries.

I was critical of O’Donnell last season but I thought he did very well at LB last Saturday. I wouldn’t be averse to him playing there this season and us using Johnson/another young full back as cover.

Or we could just sign a left back, either way. 

We needed a left back even if Carroll was fully fit, hate seeing players with bad injuries so I wish him speedy recovery. Good to see that Hammell recognises we need players up front also. I have said it before but KVV needs someone pushing for his place. That might help him lift a game a notch as I always get impression he thinks he is undroppable.

48 minutes ago, pretzel said:

According to the Daily Ranger we have officially signed that goalkeeper Aston Oxborough today. 

It's on the official site.......

Aston Oxborough joins Motherwell - Motherwell Football Club (motherwellfc.co.uk)Aston Oxborough joins Motherwell - Motherwell Football Club (motherwellfc.co.uk) 

1 hour ago, GraniteCityMFC said:

I was lucky enough to get a tour of Fir Park a few week ago and I saw his shirts all printed up I actually thought he might have been unlucky to have got caught up in all the turmoil that followed Alexander then Dibble.

It was interesting listening to Hammell's pre match interview. He was saying he had hoped to have two new additions signed yesterday but obviously that never worked out. Nice to hear he isn't wasting anytime trying to put his own stamp on proceedings.

Yesterday definitely alleviated some fears but it’s quite clear that we need some quality additions (and hopefully some going out).

5 additions needed IMO

first choice left back 

first choice Centre half 

first choice striker 

first choice winger

squad player central midfielder 

If we can move on ojala, Mcginley, efford and one-legged Morris that would be great thanks

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

Yesterday definitely alleviated some fears but it’s quite clear that we need some quality additions (and hopefully some going out).

5 additions needed IMO

first choice left back 

first choice Centre half 

first choice striker 

first choice winger

squad player central midfielder 

If we can move on ojala, Mcginley, efford and one-legged Morris that would be great thanks

Thats quite a shopping list, but not far off the mark. The biggest problem is central defence. We already have 4 players signed up for that department and so it won't be easy to move them on. I think Lammie is the best of the bunch although that maybe doesn't say much. I'd say he and Mugabi are ok as back up. An experienced midfielder wouldn't go amiss.

• David locked this topic