2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

24 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

McKinstry is a really exciting signing on so many levels.

Was really disappointed we never got to see him play for the first team after all the hype about him coming through the youth ranks. Now we get the chance to see what he could have offered and probably closer to the finished article than he would have been at the time.

The fact that the voy is Motherwell daft and will also fulfill a childhood dream bodes well.

He also happens to be able to fill a position we were sadly lacking in until now.

Will be interesting to see how Leeds see his future. But nice to have him here meantime.

Watching the clip on Twitter it looked like McKinstry is even more excited to be at Fir Park than we are to have him back.

• Like 1

I would be delighted to see Snodgrass in the team as well but the articles I read had all been uncredited and even a quick Google search last year provided similar articles linking him with loads of clubs. He is about to turn 35 in September but you would think he'd be the perfect foil for some of the youngsters in the squad. It's nice to be linked with players again.

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

Record reporting on Snodgrass too. It does say he has other options in the English Championship and League One too, but wants to make a decision on his next club by the weekend.

Snodgrass would be a great addition, to the squad playing ability and experience  wise he's played at a high level for years.  I think West ham paid £10 million for him just 5 years ago, so I suspect he will have a lot of clubs with much more money than us after him, especially as he is a free agent so I am not hopeful of seeing him at Fir park .

43 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Snodgrass would be a great addition, to the squad playing ability and experience  wise he's played at a high level for years.  I think West ham paid £10 million for him just 5 years ago, so I suspect he will have a lot of clubs with much more money than us after him, especially as he is a free agent so I am not hopeful of seeing him at Fir park .

No doubt his agent feeding the story to increase interest, like you I'd doubt we will be making him the best offer.

12 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

That would be some signing as well.......

if his wage demands are reasonable , worth a punt....but is he really a top priority type of player. He has never been fast and not a great tackler. I am not saying he isnt a good player but if money is a prisoner , we should maybe be prioritising elsewhere

Snodgrass has had 14 years down South earning big money so moving back to Glasgow and working with a manager he knows might be worth more to him than the extra wages from Aberdeen or a League One side. I saw him on TV a couple of times last season when he was playing with wee Al and his form was decent. 

If we do sign him then you'd have to wonder if we would still be looking for cover for KVV or gambling that he won't be injured and suspended too often. Quality in the final third wins you games so spending whatever budget we have there might be the smart move. 

It's worth remembering that this a unique window in that we only need players to get us through to the 12th of November so there is less to fear from injuries and suspensions than a normal season. 

Snodgrass would be a great signing. Think he’s the type of vocal guy we need in the team and he’d bring some players on. I thought he looked good at Luton last year.

If he came to us it’d not be for money as we couldn’t get near what he’s earning down south, he must be looking for a link into more media work which I have no doubt he’d be very good at.

certainly better than the stevie thompson, Richard foster brigade we currently have to endure

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

No way would he pick us over a good gig down south earning three times the money.

Depends on various factors, though. He might want to move for family reasons, he might take a wage cut while he gets coaching experience in a new role, he might have media offers in Scotland he wants to develop.

Or, it could be a play from his agent and he has no intention of moving north.

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Depends on various factors, though. He might want to move for family reasons, he might take a wage cut while he gets coaching experience in a new role, he might have media offers in Scotland he wants to develop.

Or, it could be a play from his agent and he has no intention of moving north.

It’s definitely not the latter.

• Like 1

Just now, Onthefringes said:

It’s definitely not the latter.

True. From what I've read today (and now from what you're saying) that seems to be the case.

Was just throwing out some general reasons why players choose Scotland rather than better paying gigs down south.

Snodgrass's mum was my sons nursesy teacher back some 18 or so years ago, so I'm assuming they have family connections to the east end of Glasgow (the extreme east like Baillieston/Easterhouse) or the Coatbridge/Bargeddie or even Uddingston areas.

4 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Snodgrass's mum was my sons nursesy teacher back some 18 or so years ago, so I'm assuming they have family connections to the east end of Glasgow (the extreme east like Baillieston/Easterhouse) or the Coatbridge/Bargeddie or even Uddingston areas.

He went to primary school in the Gallowgate according to this https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/robert-snodgrass-trained-rangers---5176196

30 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Have you seen her anywhere near Tim Hortons at Fir park so we can start a real rumour :)

• Haha 2

All this positivity is great.  I've went full circle nearly in a week and no doubt it will continue through season I'd imagine.

A big sorry huge thing now is the guaranteed group stage for 3rd place/sc winner that guarantees £3m plus additional for points gained gate receipt etc. I know our European days have been horrendous but group stage cash would be amazing for us.

If you look at contenders we can certainly be in there and although hearts are miles better they will have 8 games minimum in Europe  so that will I'd imagine hinder them. Aberdeen are no better than last year neither are hibs I don't think although dundee utd I feel are. Us st mirren livi are similar then I feel ross count st j and killie are lower down.

Someone like snodgrass a new cb and striker and why not. Positivity goes a long way and here's hoping it continues. 

Saturday is again a gd marker

I hope with Hammell coming in we don't need to get any young players from the old firm any more as that would be a major kick in the sack for every young player he has worked with at the club.

Nah would rather have a youngster from us promoted to the first team than any young old firm player so they have a good season with us and shift him on make cash out us?Nope no way.

41 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I hope with Hammell coming in we don't need to get any young players from the old firm any more as that would be a major kick in the sack for every young player he has worked with at the club.

Nah would rather have a youngster from us promoted to the first team than any young old firm player so they have a good season with us and shift him on make cash out us?Nope no way.

There's not really anyone from the academy ready to come in who Johnston would be competing with.

It's the same with McKinstry.

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Mikey Johnston’s 23 so a bit different from an academy prospect. 

4 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Hearing rumours of Mikey Johnston on loan from Celtic. My Tic supporting mate states "a five a side player, wouldn't bother"..

I think he'd be amazing with us /whoever.  He would have the Spl teams in toast if he avoids injuries which he has struggled with.

Reminds of McGeady permanently booed by Celtic fans because he takes men on and sometimes loses it.

Have him in  a heartbeat.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic