2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

No surprises at all in the released list.  I assume Lamie has exercised a right to call off the Dundee deal and is now looking at other options, including our offer. I wouldn't bust the bank to retain him. A good squad player who has scored a few vital goals but that shouldn't mask his defensive perormance over time.  Presumably we won't wait too long on him making his mind up?

I think Dundee really wanted to do a Watt with Lamie, i.e. use the PCA to get him in January, in the hopes that would help them stay up. Turns out that lamie being perceived as more professional than Watt threw a wrench in those plans, and now they probably want to reassess and give the new manager a cleaner slate.

I think we need to resolve this PCA carry on, and reduce the window where a player can sign one, as we're going to see more and more of these shenanigans otherwise.

1 minute ago, fizoxy said:

I think we need to resolve this PCA carry on, and reduce the window where a player can sign one, as we're going to see more and more of these shenanigans otherwise.

Agree 100%. We need follow England's lead here and cut/limit the time for clubs in the same league.

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agree 100%. We need follow England's lead here and cut/limit the time for clubs in the same league.

Just do away with them or put a clause in original contract that says you will not sign any PCA. Of course Probably no one would agree to that  

1 hour ago, parko66 said:

END OF 2021/22 SQUAD UPDATE

14:59
End of 2021/22 squad update

With the 2021/22 season at an end, we can provide supporters with the following update on players’ contracts.

Liam Grimshaw will depart having spent five-and-a-half seasons at Fir Park across two spells, clocking up over 130 matches in claret and amber. The tenacious utility player was a popular figure amongst the ‘Well support, but has found first-team opportunities limited over the last year.

Liam Donnelly will also leave for the final time. The Northern Irish International made 70 outings in four seasons. The versatile midfield player, who more recently showed his qualities in the defensive line, also clocked up thirteen goals and won two caps for his country whilst at ‘Well.

Also exiting is Mark O’Hara, who has spent three seasons in claret and amber following a move from Peterborough United in 2019. Playing in a variety of positions, Mark managed 74 appearances and scored six goals, but has opted to join a fellow SPFL Premiership club.

Other names leaving Fir Park for the last time are Darragh O’Connor, Justin Amaluzor, Jordan Roberts, PJ Morrison, Victor Nirennold and youngster Cody McLeod. Liam Shaw will return to his parent club when his loan ends early next month.

“I want to thank everyone who is leaving Motherwell this summer for their effort during their time with the club,” manager Graham Alexander said.

“The likes of Liam Grimshaw, Liam Donnelly and Mark O’Hara have been in our first-team for extended periods, so I want to pay particular tribute to them. Although Grimmy didn’t feature as much as he would like for me, he was always a fantastic professional and trained hard every single day and that says a lot about the type of person he is.

“Any time Liam or Mark featured they gave everything, so I want to thank them both too. PJ Morrison has also been with the club from a very young age, but we both agreed he needed to kick his career on by playing regularly every week.

“Everyone leaving have made their mark in some way, big or small, and we wish them well for the future careers, wherever that takes them.”

THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS WILL LEAVE AT THE EXPIRY OF THEIR CONTRACT OR RETURN TO THEIR PARENT CLUB AT THE END OF THEIR LOAN:
  • Mark O’Hara
  • Liam Shaw (end of loan – Celtic FC)
  • Darragh O’Connor
  • Justin Amaluzor
  • Liam Donnelly
  • Liam Grimshaw
  • Jordan Roberts
  • Peter Morrison
  • Victor Nirennold
  • Cody McLeod
THE FOLLOWING PLAYER HAS BEEN OFFERED AN EXTENDED DEAL:
  • Ricki Lamie

really good update , glad we're not offering extended contracts to the many of who've been around and not been quite good enough for a first team spot. 

I think Lamie has proven to be better than the other central defenders (not saying much).

Also hope we help some of the others find new clubs eg. Carrol/Mcginley/Ojala/Solhom.  Maybe even Woolery/Efford.   I've seen enough of them all to wish them a happy start elsewhere   

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A good squad player who has scored a few vital goals but that shouldn't mask his defensive perormance over time. 

Lamie has been our best centre half all season, he is far better than just a squad player.

The turnaround in his form has been quite incredible, and perhaps having an international defender as his manager has had something to do with it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Lamie has been our best centre half all season, he is far better than just a squad player.

The turnaround in his form has been quite incredible, and perhaps having an international defender as his manager has had something to do with it. 

Agreed.

People still have PTSD from him playing out of position at left back. Our most important player since the turn of the year. 

24 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

really good update , glad we're not offering extended contracts to the many of who've been around and not been quite good enough for a first team spot. 

I think Lamie has proven to be better than the other central defenders (not saying much).

Also hope we help some of the others find new clubs eg. Carrol/Mcginley/Ojala/Solhom.  Maybe even Woolery/Efford.   I've seen enough of them all to wish them a happy start elsewhere   

With the 6 mentioned I would keep woolery and maybe efford just needs time to get used to our league but still not sure.  The other 4 I would definitely look to sell on , just my opinion.  COYW

20 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Over the course of the season, I agree. However, he's been the best of what has been a bad bunch.

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

Over the course of the season, I agree. However, he's been the best of what has been a bad bunch.

Let's blow all the money we have and bring big kipre back. But honestly lamie has had an excellent season and would like him to stay.  You get no messing with him. Him centre defence,Slattery centre mid and kvv centre forward gives us a spine and build round them. 

41 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

So 10 players out. Do we turn that into 3 or 4 higher level players at more competitive salary? 

I think that's the plan. We'll certainly see a smaller squad next season, so hopefully a bump in quality.

• Like 1

I don't even know why PCAs exist.

If you want someone in January, pay for them and take them in January.

If you want them when their contract expires. sign them after their contract expires

The rest is just unnecessary complication.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

So 10 players out. Do we turn that into 3 or 4 higher level players at more competitive salary? 

Certainly be my preference.

Hopefully the lure of European Football will assist in that regard.

38 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Farewell Grimmy 

Not often a player comes into a club from outwith the area and immediately "gets it". Grimmy was one of those guys and its sad to see him go, but he wasnt going ro get a lot of gametime moving forward, so he goes with our best wishes and he is welcome back anytime.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not often a player comes into a club from outwith the area and immediately "gets it". Grimmy was one of those guys and its sad to see him go, but he wasnt going ro get a lot of gametime moving forward, so he goes with our best wishes and he is welcome back anytime.

I concur. I’ll miss him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

We have a first team squad of about 18-19 players so I honestly don't see us bringing in much more than that.  Maybe about a 24 - 25 man squad?

Fingers crossed they are higher level players.

I said earlier we needed to replace our defence but it looks like it's going to be pretty much the same players - O'donnell/Mugabi. Ojala/Lamie/Johansen. McGinley/Carroll.

The number of goals conceded this season was the single biggest problem and it's hard to see leopards changing their spots unless there are substantial tactical changes.

33 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The number of goals conceded this season was the single biggest problem and it's hard to see leopards changing their spots unless there are substantial tactical changes.

I think tactics definitely played a part in our defensive woes, along with the fact that we never seemed to be able to field the same defenders in consecutive games for continuity.

I quite liked the back 3 strategy we used  with Carroll and O'Donnell as wingbacks, but doubt that is in GA's plans for next season.

On the Grimmy front, also sorry to see him go and hope he finds a regular starting spot with a new club. Always seemed like a positive asset around the club even when he wasn't playing.

• David locked this topic