David

2022/23 ins & outs discussion

11 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Other than KVV who is very inconsistent, Slattery is the best footballer at the club....

:lol::lol::lol:

47 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So who should we be targeting then thats got lots of premiership experience, plays well and is in our price range, feel free to share your wisdom

Big blow. I hope the club at least tried to convince him to stay.

To see him at Motherwell, or the like would be a real kick in the teeth. Genuinely hope he does well though, wherever he goes. 

Quote from Ross County fan above on P&B. No offence to the Spittal nay sayers such as Yodo but I would rather take the views of the fans of the team targeted player played for. 

Ross County have a similar or even bigger budget than we have. So if we are able to take one of their better players I am all for it. 

I will say it again like I do every season. Our budget dictates who and who we cannot go after and afford to buy. Spittal may well have other offers like Lamie but I would be happy if he ended up with us. Certianly on his day he would be better than the departed OHara and Donnelly imho. 

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

So who should we be targeting then thats got lots of premiership experience, plays well and is in our price range, feel free to share your wisdom

I doubt yodo coukd pick Spittal out in a line up, its what he does, even rumours are not good enough for him.

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Think we pay guys to do that I know there not very good at it but seems we are stuck wae them 

58 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I doubt yodo coukd pick Spittal out in a line up, its what he does, even rumours are not good enough for him.

Think yer speaking for yerself there bud 

4 hours ago, Yodo said:

If that’s the quality of our targets then heaven help us he’s a championship player at best 

To be fair on this one I’m not that far off you. He’s decent but that’s about it in my view.

signings are difficult - most of the time it's an underwhelming feeling - would really need to see a list of players we can afford - albeit that could be depressing.

Unless able to bring back one of our previous hero's it's often likely to feel shit.  Our best chance of having quality is brining them up through the youth system, 

13 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I think Lamie is getting slightly talked up. Being the best of a very poor bunch does not automatically make you a good player. He’s very average at best in my view.

Agree - Lamie has too many brain farts during games. 90% solid but too often very lax and causes problems. 

I'd much rather bring in someone like McCart from StJohnstone who's out of contract.  Prob the type of player we can afford and has proven to be decent. 

14 hours ago, mfc said:

Ojala started off really well for us but after getting injured at pittodrie and being out for a while he hasn't looked the same,he seems to be quite injury prone in his career and maybe this time has been an injury to many.i think Johansen also started well but since coming back from the winter break he has been been poor,maybe playing the number of games he did before joining us had caught up with him.im hoping that after the summer break they might offer us something going forward.mugabi while having improved this season was starting to go backwards towards the end,the shuffling between centre half and right back isn't the answer.the defence needs some serious attention though as there's no way we can go into next season defending like we just did.

I think there's a lot in that.

Be interesting to see how Ojala and Sol look next season after a proper rest and a good pre season.

The chopping and changing definitely doesnt help. Defenders need games together to develop an understanding and a consistency of performance.

Hopefully we can get some of that next season.

5 hours ago, El Grew said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Who in your opinion, are better?

Every player at every level has brain farts.

When you're a keeper they are most obvious as they typically result in conceding a goal that people remember.

When you are a defender they are pretty obvious and can result in a goal that people remember.

When you are a midfielder they rarely result in a goal and people rarely remember.

When you are a striker you miss a scoring opportunity and people forget.

In recent Liverpool games I've seen Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and van Djik all have brain farts, but I wouldn't be against any of them in our defence.

The worry with Lamie is that he might be one of those players that steps up his game when his contract is running out. Grimshaw mugged us twice by doing it. 

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

Think we pay guys to do that I know there not very good at it but seems we are stuck wae them 

Usual answer then bullshit post with nothing to back it up, at least you are consistent. 

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

Usual answer then bullshit post with nothing to back it up, at least you are consistent. 

Same as yersel 

20 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Same as yersel 

Quod erat demonstratum...the prosecution rests m'lud

The worry with Lamie is that he might be one of those players that steps up his game when his contract is running out. Grimshaw mugged us twice by doing it. 
Thing is, he played his best after he signed the contract with Dundee, so he was sorted.

I'm not furious about trying to keep him, but it is an opportunity to get someone better that we're passing up.

10 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Thing is, he played his best after he signed the contract with Dundee, so he was sorted.

I'm not furious about trying to keep him, but it is an opportunity to get someone better that we're passing up.

His improvement in form was after he signed his PCA with Dundee, so he was leaving anyway so I think he genuinely found a bit of form and basically saved our season. After Dundees relegation it's no surprise  he had 2nd thoughts on the deal, he's been our stand out defender for months.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Quod erat demonstratum...the prosecution rests m'lud

Wow, French , you must have went to a right good school.

1 hour ago, stv said:

Wow, French , you must have went to a right good school.

non modo gallico sed gratias postulantes

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Who in your opinion, are better?

Sorry, I wasn’t laughing at your statement that he was the best footballer at the club - he may be.  
It was more that if he is, then it’s an indictment on the standard of player on our books. I’m no fan of our current manager but I think the reason he has persevered with his hoofball tactics this season is that he realises we don’t have any decent midfield players.

• Like 1

I genuinely can't wrap my head around folk not rating Slattery. You can see from his technical ability why he was so highly rated in the Southampton/England setups but he doesn't seem to have came up with any pretensions either and does more than his fair share of the unglamorous stuff. I think he's been an upgrade on Allan Campbell. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

non modo gallico sed gratias postulantes

I knowed it was Spanish all along

1 hour ago, stv said:

I knowed it was Spanish all along

Close but still no cigar

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

Sorry, I wasn’t laughing at your statement that he was the best footballer at the club - he may be.  
It was more that if he is, then it’s an indictment on the standard of player on our books. I’m no fan of our current manager but I think the reason he has persevered with his hoofball tactics this season is that he realises we don’t have any decent midfield players.

Fair doo's. :P

I still think Slattery is decent and would benefit from having a few players of at least similar ability around him.

Whether we can manage that on our budget or not remains to be seen.