David

2022/23 ins & outs discussion

I would like to think that European football might entice some players to us as I am sure you all know that St Mirren, Killie, Livingston and even Ross County are all competing for the same type players, the disadvantage that we have is our poor training facilities!

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

All sounds well and good but I’d rather be a lot more optimistic in our signings players from 19-27 ex prem youth players or top talents in Scot championship and maybe left field abroad signings. Davis would be good for a season but he’s probably leaving rangers for a reason to wind down and may just be taking a wage but he’s obviously quality but sounds done deal with St Mirren and Robbo link. With McAlear we aren’t paying a 20 year old boy £3000 a week that’s fact especially when we have Cornelius who’s probably as good if not better.

Not saying McAlear isn’t a good signing he’s a cracking player but not worth to Chuck 3k a week at, he’s only kicked on at ICT last few months.

If we could get McAlear for less then all the better. As for who’s better between him and Dean, sadly I’d disagree with you. Dean is good but still has a long way to go- so has McAlear but I think he’s further along. The much maligned McGuire - I thought - was coming along nicely before his injury so we will have to see how he comes back. Those 3 could form a core of our midfield in a couple of seasons but we would need to give them support and time with other more experienced players in the mean time. 
As for the other players I would like us to try and lure someone who has a proven record rather than three or four players who might do something.  

This may be a little brutal, I don't believe Maguire is good enough. He's now 24 and played 50 games.  Personal view is he's  limited.  Not sold we should have renewed his contract. Think he'll end up being a decent championship player similar  to many young well starlets who didn't quite hit the mark. 

Dean though has a chance of making it. 21 and learning all the time, good prospect of becoming a decent player and for sure would benefit from someone like Davis talking him through games.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

This may be a little brutal, I don't believe Maguire is good enough. He's now 24 and played 50 games.  Personal view is he's  limited.  Not sold we should have renewed his contract. Think he'll end up being a decent championship player similar  to many young well starlets who didn't quite hit the mark. 

Dean though has a chance of making it. 21 and learning all the time, good prospect of becoming a decent player and for sure would benefit from someone like Davis talking him through games.

We all see thinks differently so no problems with your view, personally I think he could still make it and is a premiership player who, especially on our budget,  could play a part without being on to high a wage, freeing up money for a more “classy” player. 
On Davis, I think him or a similar guy who can play a pass or drop a cross onto a running forward would be a great addition. I could see him setting Shields off on a run who could either try and finish himself or in turn set up KVV. He doesn’t have a sell on value but he could get us a good fee for others.  

Normally I'd be opposed to a 37 year old coming in but you've got to think that if anyone can get that right it's Alexander.

Looking it up he played 130 games in the 3 seasons after he turned 37 (his birthday is in October so that's starting the season when he's 38 for most of it) 2 of those in the Championship and 1 in the Premier league down South. 

Not sure about Steve Davis....was great in the 80's and won 6 world titles but he is 63 now ......whoops ..clicked on wrong Wikipedia page !!..........on serious note I don't care if he's 37,  I would take him in a shot, great professional and experience alongside Cornelius Maguire and Slattery would be immense

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

Normally I'd be opposed to a 37 year old coming in but you've got to think that if anyone can get that right it's Alexander.

Looking it up he played 130 games in the 3 seasons after he turned 37 (his birthday is in October so that's starting the season when he's 38 for most of it) 2 of those in the Championship and 1 in the Premier league down South. 

His birthday is January (01/01/85).

I agree with the rest though would GA play him when needed? With his track record of tinkering and Davis’ age then who knows. 

All hypothetical though unless he actually comes here.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

His birthday is January (01/01/85).

I agree with the rest though would GA play him when needed? With his track record of tinkering and Davis’ age then who knows. 

All hypothetical though unless he actually comes here.

This hasn't came across right, I was talking about Alexander's career after the age of 37 and how successful he was in playing alot at a good level at the same age as Davis is now.

48 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

This hasn't came across right, I was talking about Alexander's career after the age of 37 and how successful he was in playing alot at a good level at the same age as Davis is now.

Ahh I get you now, sorry. I thought you were talking about Davis. 

On 5/21/2022 at 2:36 PM, weeyin said:

When you are a striker you miss a scoring opportunity and people forget.

Do you remember Roy Essandoh versus Aston Villa?
Immediately the cry of 'Shoot!' over the tannoy system...
Well fans never forget :D

9 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Not sure about Steve Davis....was great in the 80's and won 6 world titles but he is 63 now ......whoops ..clicked on wrong Wikipedia page !!..........on serious note I don't care if he's 37,  I would take him in a shot, great professional and experience alongside Cornelius Maguire and Slattery would be immense

Who is Cornelius Maguire? :lol:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I disagree about Maguire. I think you have hit upon the reason for his not being as developed as other players of the same age when you mention the number of games he has played.  You need games at a good level to aid your development. Over the last few seasons under Robinson, he had McHugh, Gorrin and Donnelly ahead of him for his best position, players Robinson liked. I'd hazard a guess he has played as much under Alexander in one year (and he's been injured a spell) than under Robinson and he has improved. Since his injury against Hearts, we suddenly became a lot easier to play through. For me, he seems to know his limits and is less likely to abandon his defensive midfield position. 

On a general point about young players (and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just a general thought), there is a tendency with young players coming through that if they're not the star of the team or likely to bring in a transfer fee to brand them "not good enough".  There's a place for squad players and to use Maguire as an example, if you don't think he's good enough to be a regular starter, is it not better having him on the bench than paying a signing on fee for a Lee Lucas, Craig Clay or another random player with no real affection for the club...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

He was a famous English nobleman who was executed in 1646 for refusing to use commas in his sentences!!  Lol

• Haha 2

Would take Davis in a heartbeat for a year, especially with some European games coming up.

14 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

He reminds me of Stuart Carswell and pretty much same ability. Not convinced either. More than happy to be wrong.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

With the style of play GA favours Davis talents would be wasted , even if he was good enough.

On 5/21/2022 at 3:31 PM, steelboy said:

The worry with Lamie is that he might be one of those players that steps up his game when his contract is running out. Grimshaw mugged us twice by doing it. 

For a guy that signed a PCA  for dundee his attitude and commitment for us has been excellent,id keep him,cos u know wot we've got wi him. Look at gallacher n watt for example,both hung us out t dry

41 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

With the style of play GA favours Davis talents would be wasted , even if he was good enough.

I would agree wi u on that,previous post mentioned davie cooper working out no too bad,but remember he had that wank boyd n the brilliant young phil odonnell behind him,if GA can get a system t suit davis then by all means go for it,maguire holding slattery deano n tierney,all young fit guys with something t prove in and around davis pulling the strings,i think it could work

Lamie is staying according to the daily record

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mfc said:

I'd be happy with that. No matter what anyone says ... He's better than what we have. Plus his form since coming back into the team can't be faulted. Sure he may have some errors in him but name a Motherwell player that doesn't.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mfc said:

2 year deal? Glad he's staying.

8 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I'd be happy with that. No matter what anyone says ... He's better than what we have. Plus his form since coming back into the team can't be faulted. Sure he may have some errors in him but name a Motherwell player that doesn't.

I'm the same,I'll be happy if he's staying,hes developed into a solid dependable player for us after a shaky start.that will be all our first team defenders under contract for next season and giving how badly we have defended this season that is a bit of a concern,I really hope that were looking at moving a couple on so it will give us some scope to improve things at the back.

29 minutes ago, mfc said:

I'm the same,I'll be happy if he's staying,hes developed into a solid dependable player for us after a shaky start.that will be all our first team defenders under contract for next season and giving how badly we have defended this season that is a bit of a concern,I really hope that were looking at moving a couple on so it will give us some scope to improve things at the back.

The defensive concerns are not purely down to the players concerned. In fact every one of them at times has shown they are half way decent. Played in their natural positions and not hung out to dry by a formation/tactics that sees midfield and them overrun, I think they can all do a reasonable job. Games at Utd, County and home to Hearts highlighted that. 
Not saying an upgrade or two would be a bad thing but I don’t agree the defence is as terrible as some are making out.

6 hours ago, El Grew said:

He sounds like he'd be a great player.  Up there with other brilliantly named players of our past, like Abel Thermeus, Casper Sloth, Esteban Casagolda and Stevie Cowan.

1 hour ago, spudmfc said:

I would agree wi u on that,previous post mentioned davie cooper working out no too bad,but remember he had that wank boyd n the brilliant young phil odonnell behind him,if GA can get a system t suit davis then by all means go for it,maguire holding slattery deano n tierney,all young fit guys with something t prove in and around davis pulling the strings,i think it could work

It was about Davie Cooper, Tom Boyd improved beyond all recognition after Cooper arrived and O'Donnell only played in the season we won the cup while Cooper had already started to make Arnott, Boyd and others into much better players. Davie Cooper was in a league of his own.

• Like 2