David

2022/23 ins & outs discussion

We had c30 first team players last season. 

Boiling it down to closer to 20 makes sense + have a look at the youngsters coming through.

I don't believe we need many signings. if we bring in 4 -5 who are better than we have I'll be happy.

On 5/24/2022 at 2:19 PM, dennyc said:

I agree Ojala  and Solholm were certainly poor after they came back from injury. Nobody can deny that. When he first came into the team Ojala formed a decent but short lived partnership with Solholm.  Ojala did the no nonsense defending and Solholm looked to be the more cultured of the two. I'm hoping a rest followed by a good pre season might restore both to the players they presented as on first appearing. Worth the try in my opinion unless those injuries are career ending.  But at present Lamie is my first choice central defender with Mugabi ahead of both Ojjala and Solholm. Hopefully we stick with three at the back to accommodate wingbacks and then we can judge each of our much criticised defenders in a formation that matched their strengths. 

By all means upgrade those positions if the opportunity arises, but I would prioritise finding some decent midfielders and and at least one more above average forward. And as many have said, better quality less numbers.

Totally agree Lammie and Mugabi have to be our central defence and sign a half decent left back.

Looking at the current squad pre European games this must be the first time we’ve actually gone into a new season and European game with a relatively settled squad . I say squad as we need a few quality bodies in to supplement existing group and also provide competition for places . Most seasons when we’re in Europe the team is unrecognisable from the previous season . So with say 4-5 quality players and not as much disruption we might be a bit more settled . 
Ive felt that in many of the previous European games the team that got us there and usually then splits up we’re better than the team that actually played in the tournament . 

On 5/26/2022 at 9:18 AM, FirParkCornerExile said:

Totally agree Lammie and Mugabi have to be our central defence and sign a half decent left back.

Sorry to take this post in isolation, but, some takes on here since season end are almost beyond parody.

You may see some of our defensive options change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Last season our defensive record was poor, especially post New Year. GA has acknowledged this, saying that he and Chris Lucketti are looking to address this for next season. Now that may involve a change in set up but surely it must also involve a change in personnel to some extent?

24 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Last season our defensive record was poor, especially post New Year. GA has acknowledged this, saying that he and Chris Lucketti are looking to address this for next season. Now that may involve a change in set up but surely it must also involve a change in personnel to some extent?

Maybe, but it won’t change anything if players are not played in their natural position and/or are squeezed into a set up that exposes every defect they have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Sorry to take this post in isolation, but, some takes on here since season end are almost beyond parody.

You may seem some of our defensive options change.

That would be encouraging.  Given that the majority are still under contract, it's hard to know what changes are possible.

Hopefully a recognition that our goals against column last season cant be repeated.

I note Darragh O'Connor has moved on.

A couple out, a couple better quality in, hopefully supplemented with some better midfield options that will allow us to keep the ball and take some pressure off the defence.

Well. At least he’s better than Marc Fitzpatrick reincarnated, Sean Goss

14 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Non plussed at that.

Interesting take. 
Ross County fans rated him highly. 
The Terrace podcast had him in their top12 attacking midfielders this season. One of the few non old firm players. Along with Ross Tierney as it happens. Neither of the hosts were or are Well fans or Ross County fans. So not vested interest.

That top he is wearing. What a belter. That will sell out in record time. 

No pressure Blair but if your first 30 mins in a well jersey are poor you will be written off!!  Lol, happy with that signing, an improvement on a few players in midfield and forward areas

Also Spittal an expert on foreign languages as I believe he speaks.....ahem.....Flemish!!!..........ah'll get me coat

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Interesting take. 
Ross County fans rated him highly. 
The Terrace podcast had him in their top12 attacking midfielders this season. One of the few non old firm players. Along with Ross Tierney as it happens. Neither of the hosts were or are Well fans or Ross County fans. So not vested interest.

That top he is wearing. What a belter. That will sell out in record time. 

Ross County fans rated him highly? That’s some yardstick. As for the Terrace podcast, that’s little more than satire.

Just struggling to see the structure to this signing hence, my comment.

Perhaps I don’t pay enough attention to opposition players, he’s been referred to as a standout in some quarters and an upgrade in others. Where do most see him playing? I ask as I’m not sure most understand where he plays or role he’s likely to fill.

Stifling my laugh at those screaming quality over quantity yet lauding some of the moves made.

23 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Ross County fans rated him highly? That’s some yardstick.

They rated Ross Stewart highly too and he's just had a 24 goal season and led Sunderland to the Championship.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Ross County fans rated him highly? That’s some yardstick. As for the Terrace podcast, that’s little more than satire.

That is fine and every signing we make will no doubt split opinion. Nathan McGinlay apart….

But since Motherwell fans hardly rate any player highly I take it as an encouraging sign that opposition fans are sorry to lose him and had expected him to do better than Motherwell. 

On the face of it not a good signing. Hungbo and Charles-Cook carried RC, we're not going to improve by adding one of their average players. 

A bad start to the summer. Blair is a shite name as well. 

• Haha 1

Got a suggestion and it's a bit radical.......why don't we wait until Blair plays before we make a judgement.  I remember when Higdon signed and he was written off .......didn't work out too badly...COYW

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Perhaps I don’t pay enough attention to opposition players, he’s been referred to as a standout in some quarters and an upgrade in others. Where do most see him playing? I ask as I’m not sure most understand where he plays or role he’s likely to fill.

Stifling my laugh at those screaming quality over quantity yet lauding some of the moves made.

I think Ross County were one of the best diddy teams last season they played decent football , unlike us, Spittal was pivotal in their side. Weve signed an SPFL proven standard player .. what the hell do our fans expect would they rather we keep signing shite from the Conference in England.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

On the face of it not a good signing. Hungbo and Charles-Cook carried RC, we're not going to improve by adding one of their average players. 

A bad start to the summer. Blair is a shite name as well. 

Ah well just as well u r not in charge of the budget Steelboy.

I am assuming Sadio Mane is waiting to announce he is signing for Motherwell. Or is it that our budget can afford Blair Spittal and not Mane ? Just an observation. 

Spittal is a better attacking mid option than any of the players we released.

8 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I think Ross County were one of the best diddy teams last season they played decent football , unlike us, Spittal was pivotal in their side. Weve signed an SPFL proven standard player .. what the hell do our fans expect would they rather we keep signing shite from the Conference in England.

Not my recollection. This decent football you speak of didn’t win them a game till October of the season past. So by your logic Alexander’s tenure January to April would’ve been acceptable if we’d seen decent football?

Not sure I’d say pivotal, wasn’t a regular starter but, had a solid season? Wholly different intensity & scrutiny playing in Dingwall than in Motherwell.

Fair to reserve judgement. Like most, I’ve struggled with our teams’ identity for 18 months - it does though align with how his other roles played out. Evolution required.

We can do without the poor analogy of who/where fans would rather sign from - consistently trotted out by those salivating over adding players with SPFL experience who have certainly served us no better.

If we are serious about retaining our place as champions of the crime count this year, we really need to sign a big dirty bastard in the midfield.  Someone unanimously hated across the division would be great.