Jump to content

David

2022/23 ins & outs discussion

Recommended Posts

St Johnstone lost two of the best non-of players in the league and replaced them with Ali Crawford. They deserved relegation for that, but Dundee out did their stupidity.

If Spittal is considered a midfielder/winger, then I assume that we will bring a centre forward to challenge KVV.

We're short of backup at RB, and I hope to God we're looking for a first choice CB. I also assume we will be looking for a defensive midfielder, since I don't think we have one.

If we're really just bringing in 3 or 4, I sincerely doubt one will be a LB unless Carroll is off somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would put the boat out and risk the wages of two players on just one guy who can grab the team by the scruff of the neck when things are not going well and get their heads up and motivated. O'Donnell does not have that leadership ability for me. We have been screaming out for a leader on the park in many games last season when so many players were just hiding in games.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to think or hope that GA would like to maybe get one or two of our contracted players away ( not sure who but there will be a few candidates) and bring in better replacements?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2022 at 9:38 AM, Yorkyred said:

It won’t go down well with a percentage of the fanbase who think we need a good few additions.

Depends on the additions.

There is so little between pretty much all the teams outwith the OF I reckon you could take, say last seasons Dundee or St Johnstone, add 2 or 3 better quality players down the spine of the side and provided they don't get injured you probably finish in a Euro place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me we need a midfielder of some quality to partner Slattery. If you can be solid in the engine room and keep the ball better than we did last season it gives you a platform to play from and we might get more from our forward players than we have been doing. I dont know if Spittal is viewed as that player, but if he is I'd want another to give us some options. I still think Cornelius would flourish with some better quality alongside him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Depends on the additions.

There is so little between pretty much all the teams outwith the OF I reckon you could take, say last seasons Dundee or St Johnstone, add 2 or 3 better quality players down the spine of the side and provided they don't get injured you probably finish in a Euro place.

That's very true,there is little between the majority of the league,you could argue had st  johnstone kept kerr and mccann they wouldn't have struggled as badly as they did last season.if we can add a couple of bits of quality up front and in defence then there's no reason why we can't stay in and around the european spots again next season.its the defence that worries me most right now,I would love a new left back but right now I can't see it happening and I just hope the plan isn't to keep shuffling mugabi to right back.odonnell is club captain and  an internationalist and must be one of our higher earners but yet we can't say he is out first choice right back,if he isn't going to play then he has to be moved on and find a solution to the right back problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

For me we need a midfielder of some quality to partner Slattery. If you can be solid in the engine room and keep the ball better than we did last season it gives you a platform to play from and we might get more from our forward players than we have been doing. I dont know if Spittal is viewed as that player, but if he is I'd want another to give us some options. I still think Cornelius would flourish with some better quality alongside him. 

Slattery gies peace 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2022 at 3:56 PM, yosemite sam said:

You would think that we should be favourite to sign the guy, with us being in Europe . 

Well we weren't he's signed for St Mirren. Playing a couple of games in Europe is not the attraction some fans think. What's put in their Bank account is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see robinson is still trotting out the anywhere across the front 3 line in regards to that guy they signed.im not sure if we were even in for him or not but the fact he's never played more than 9 league games in a season for any of the teams he's been at is a bit strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yodo said:

Slattery gies peace 

Constructive as ever......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Constructive as ever......

Sorry I agree slightly with Yodo, Slattery no doubt has ability but he is lazy, doesn’t  look fit,  he can’t last 90 mins, Davis and Arfield made him look mediocre. A young fit energetic guys should out move and out fight these guy’s easily.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

Sorry I agree slightly with Yodo, Slattery no doubt has ability but he is lazy, doesn’t  look fit,  he can’t last 90 mins, Davis and Arfield made him look mediocre. A young fit energetic guys should out move and out fight these guy’s easily.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on a player. But it does help when there is actual meat put on the bones to allow debate. I dont necesarily agree with your opinion but at least youve stated why you feel the way you do. I wouldnt say Slattery was lazy. There may have been questions over his fitness last season, but Im sure that can be worked on. I also like the fact that he isnt afraid to commit a dirty foul if its what is required at the time. With better quality around him Im pretty sure we will get more out of him this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Well we weren't he's signed for St Mirren. Playing a couple of games in Europe is not the attraction some fans think. What's put in their Bank account is.

What kid doesn't grow up wanting to step out against Bala Town on a Thursday night 2nd Qualifying Round for the Europa Conference?  :lol:

I'm actually glad we dodged this guy.  Might be proved wrong but this has 'Standard Robinson Signing' all over it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

What kid doesn't grow up wanting to step out against Bala Town on a Thursday night 2nd Qualifying Round for the Europa Conference?  :lol:

I'm actually glad we dodged this guy.  Might be proved wrong but this has 'Standard Robinson Signing' all over it.

If we were interested would show GA also likes "Standard Robinson Signings"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

If we were interested would show GA also likes "Standard Robinson Signings"

Or that an agent touted him round various Scottish clubs and one bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking back on the squad for the cup final in 2018, only one player from the match day squad is still at the club. Barry Maguire,

Weird to think that was only 4 years ago, it seems much longer. Also the turnover in squad is pretty wild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on a player. But it does help when there is actual meat put on the bones to allow debate. I dont necesarily agree with your opinion but at least youve stated why you feel the way you do. I wouldnt say Slattery was lazy. There may have been questions over his fitness last season, but Im sure that can be worked on. I also like the fact that he isnt afraid to commit a dirty foul if its what is required at the time. With better quality around him Im pretty sure we will get more out of him this season.

Slattery was our best midfielder at the start of the season by some way, certainly not lazy. Something happened between him and Alexander given he could not even make the squad at times.  Maybe not the best trainer but with better around him he has more to offer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Slattery was our best midfielder at the start of the season by some way, certainly not lazy. Something happened between him and Alexander given he could not even make the squad at times.  Maybe not the best trainer but with better around him he has more to offer.

Slattery only failed to make the squad once - on 26th December against Livi when he was suspended.

He started 28 games, was subbed on in 6 and was an unused sub in 8. So from the point he signed he was in the match day squad for 42 of 43 games.

He played the 6th most minutes of the squad behind Kelly, O'Donnell, Mugabi, Van Veen and Woolery.

Source: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/callum-slattery/leistungsdaten/spieler/332342

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Looking back on the squad for the cup final in 2018, only one player from the match day squad is still at the club. Barry Maguire,

Weird to think that was only 4 years ago, it seems much longer. Also the turnover in squad is pretty wild.

Half of them are at St.Mirren now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Slattery only failed to make the squad once - on 26th December against Livi when he was suspended.

He started 28 games, was subbed on in 6 and was an unused sub in 8. So from the point he signed he was in the match day squad for 42 of 43 games.

He played the 6th most minutes of the squad behind Kelly, O'Donnell, Mugabi, Van Veen and Woolery.

Source: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/callum-slattery/leistungsdaten/spieler/332342

I'm sure slattery played twice as many games for us last season than he did at his previous clubs combined,maybe that spell where he was an unused sub was down to him needing a break rather than any falling out with the manager that was being speculated at the time.i was surprised to see odonnell had played as many minutes as he did as it felt like he was out the team for chunks of the season at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Well we weren't he's signed for St Mirren. Playing a couple of games in Europe is not the attraction some fans think. What's put in their Bank account is.

Did we officially confirm that we were looking at him at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Did we officially confirm that we were looking at him at all?

I seen a couple of comments online from st mirren fans saying it was the fact they offered him a two year deal that made the difference as he was only being offered a one year deal by another club up here,no idea if that other club was us though as he was being linked to county and livi as well.giving he's played so few games in his career and at 24 it does seem like signing him would have been a real punt,I'm definitely not bothered that we didn't get him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

St Mirren fans talk a load of shite. Who knows if we were in for him, it's very rare that a club tells the fans who they failed to sign.

If our aim is to take our time and sign the right players that make us better, I'm not sure if taking a flyer on a one year deal for an unproven player fits that bill, but we'll never know.

This season I hope that Maguire can stay fit and Cornelius continues to come along. There's also the possibility of Johnston getting more game time , so hopefully one of those three can kick on, and we get a glimpse of one or two more youth prospects during the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

St Mirren fans talk a load of shite. Who knows if we were in for him, it's very rare that a club tells the fans who they failed to sign.

If our aim is to take our time and sign the right players that make us better, I'm not sure if taking a flyer on a one year deal for an unproven player fits that bill, but we'll never know.

This season I hope that Maguire can stay fit and Cornelius continues to come along. There's also the possibility of Johnston getting more game time , so hopefully one of those three can kick on, and we get a glimpse of one or two more youth prospects during the season.

im not convinced about McGuire he reminds me too much of Stuart Carswell. Cornelius is young and has much to go yet. Id be really worried if we were to rely on those two to make us a mid table force. We need 5 or 6 players better than what we currently have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

 Id be really worried if we were to rely on those two to make us a mid table force. We need 5 or 6 players better than what we currently have.

I don’t think we do. We have a very similar squad to the one that was 3rd for so long last year and managed to finish 5th.

 

2 or 3 quality additions and a better style of play from the manager will hopefully see us finish top six. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×