2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

As much as I don't rate either of our left backs,I don't think playing mcginn or odonnell there is the answer.if odonnell was to move on then signing mcginn makes sense but if not it's a bit of a strange signing considering alexander said he wanted a more streamlined squad this season.

Given SO’D was an absolute disgrace for large spells last season then whether he is moving on or not is irrelevant, this is a good signing for us.

Welcome to our average sized, firmly established top flight club Paul McGinn.

17 hours ago, GazzyB said:

That’s a truly ridiculous thing to offer even money on, and you know it.

Not for someone who thinks Aberdeen and Hibs won't be better next year.  That was the entire point I can't for a minute believe they will be any worse than they were last year. If others are so confident they will be it's up to them to take the bet.  An improvement is anything better than they did last year.  That's all I said at the outset that they will be better than last year. 

5 minutes ago, Haggischomper said:

People would rather suffer Mugabi at right back for spells then? Aye, OK...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Paul McGinn wouldnt need to be particularly good to improve our pish defence. I cant believe folk are already rubbishing the guy when we basically watched utter pish last year and had the unenviable honour of the 3rd worst defensive record in the league. Would probably have been the worst had we not had Kelly.

• Like 1

How often have people called for us to sign established Premiership players rather than none league guys from down south. ? Well regardless of his position this is exactly the type of signing many want. Good luck to him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Given SO’D was an absolute disgrace for large spells last season then whether he is moving on or not is irrelevant, this is a good signing for us.

Welcome to our average sized, firmly established top flight club Paul McGinn.

This.

Should be better defensively than O'Donnell.  

Maybe O'Donnell will move further up the pitch now.  Or leave.

5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

This.

Should be better defensively than O'Donnell.  

Maybe O'Donnell will move further up the pitch now.  Or leave.

I’d be surprised if O’Donnell didn’t move on tbh. He’s 30 now and regardless of how he has performed for us is still an established international player with a fair bit of pedigree. I don’t think he’ll get a move to Celtic or anything as big as that but a move to an Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs or down south will surely be on the table for him.

Ostensibly an odd signing, position wise. That surely calls into question O'Donnell's position does it not?

As far as ther platyer is concerned, I don't care if he is talented or not so long as he is solid and makes few mistakes. That in itself would be an upgrade.

All that said, I would have thought bolstering other positions would have been more of a priority.

Anyway, welcome to Fir Park Mr McGinn.

• David locked this topic