2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

So given that we should be signing players of the same level, or better than Hibs would deem as good enough for them right ? To do that we would need to be offering the same wages or better right? How do we do that ?

I would rather you did not just keep everything to two throw away lines and actually came up with a detailed explanation of your thought processes. You want a team of better quality players, how do we fund that ? Do we start building up debt again ? Do we look at a smaller squad ? Do we cut back in other areas such as youth and put that money into the first team budget ? What other ideas do you have ?

It’s easy to just keep throwing insults around every time someone questions your posts, I could do the same but it achieves nothing. I’m actually genuinely interested in your thoughts.

Yorkyred, never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, grumpy said:

Yorkyred, never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

You know I’m always interested in what other posters think, even if I don’t always agree. I’ve not been a supporter of this club for that many years and maybe Yoda as a long standing supporter does have a better take on things than me, if he has I would just love to know what it is. The one liners don’t really explain anything, it’s easy to just state everyone is doing a poor job without offering anything as a counter argument. End of the day a big factor is always going to be money, do we run on a sustainable level which is never going to be easy with the big city clubs in the division, or do we run a bigger budget and start building up debt ? The attendances don’t seem to change that much regardless of what we do so no massive gain from finishing four or five places higher in that regard. I would not want to be the one making these decisions, you can’t win whatever you do with some supporters.

• Like 1

Mcginn is a solid enough signing at this level but it will only really make sense if odonnell gets moved on,as I don't think having two experienced players for the one position on our budget is necessary.the worry for me is that he isn't any better than odonnell so is he going to improve an already dodgy defence,cause I don't see us doing much more in terms of bringing in anymore defenders,I suppose the real hope is that players like sol and ojala can find a bit of form and the managers sticks with a settled defence.

51 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

…, maybe Yoda as a long standing supporter does have a better take on things than me, if he has I would just love to know what it is. The one liners don’t really explain anything, it’s easy to just state everyone is doing a poor job without offering anything as a counter argument. 

Alternatively, Yoda might just be a wind up merchant and better ignored. 

As for your question on how we improve, as I’ve said before, this year we have a guaranteed extra income from Europe of between £400,000 going up to £1m depending on us reaching the knockout round so I think we should be looking at getting a couple of higher wage proven players with the potential to sell on, aim for the knockout round and at least we will have a more comfortable season with the chance of two good cup runs and a higher than 8th place finish which in turn should also generate extra income for next season. 

12 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I would rather you did not just keep everything to two throw away lines and actually came up with a detailed explanation of your thought processes.

He's got over 1,000 posts on this forum and has never done that yet, so I wouldn't hold your breath. 

59 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

You know I’m always interested in what other posters think, even if I don’t always agree. I’ve not been a supporter of this club for that many years and maybe Yoda as a long standing supporter does have a better take on things than me, if he has I would just love to know what it is. The one liners don’t really explain anything, it’s easy to just state everyone is doing a poor job without offering anything as a counter argument. End of the day a big factor is always going to be money, do we run on a sustainable level which is never going to be easy with the big city clubs in the division, or do we run a bigger budget and start building up debt ? The attendances don’t seem to change that much regardless of what we do so no massive gain from finishing four or five places higher in that regard. I would not want to be the one making these decisions, you can’t win whatever you do with some supporters.

I apologise for my one liner. :D

For what it is worth, I'm an old fart and have been watching the 'Well since 1967. I'm happy to admit to being the definition of a "Happy-clapper" and I start every season hoping to finish 10th or better, and I don't start thinking of anything other than avoiding relegation until (if) we reach 38 pts. Then I start looking up the league. I want to be entertained, and obviously last year wasn't great for that, but I would rather survive the season in the manner we did last year than play expansive football and lose every week. I also like to see our youth given a chance, although I appreciate that the need to survive in the top league sometimes impacts on the manager's ability to introduce  younger players into the team.

I don't really pay any attention to any team other than us, I don't follow English football, other than to keep half an eye on ex  'Well players for a season or two, EG Allan Campbell. This means I generally don't have much of an opinion on anyone we sign, like McGinn, because I have never bothered paying him any attention. I'll form that opinion once he is wearing C & A and he will get my support, as will all the team. Some posters apparent desire to see us struggle is completely baffling to me.

Your last sentence is the most telling, which leads us right back to my original one liner.

• Like 3

Great post grumpy. Similar to yourself I’ve been watching the Well since 1967 and also like you I look forward to every season with excitement and hope . And it’s that hope that it might be our season never leaves you and hopefully never will . One thing I find bizarre is judging a player before I actually see him play in a Well jersey. There’s plenty time for that over the whole season . I for one welcome anyone who signs for us and  like to wish him the best both for himself and also the club . So this prejudging players/writing them off /not good enough gets a bit tedious . Anyway it’s a forum and everyone’s entitled to there opinion as they say . It takes all types , both informed and the controversial. But I’m firmly in your camp mate . Us old guys have seen some amount of players come and go and yes there have been some roasters . But at least give them a chance to be roasters before you start judging them . 
Here’s to a good season Well fans . Don’t let the dark clouds out there get you down . COYW

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

Or McGinn's a roaster.

Never said he was pish, said he was a roaster.

ROASTER; 1) Scottish slang. Can be used to describe someone who is making a complete "fool" of themselves. 2) A harsh or humorous critic (sometimes intended as a facetious compliment)

so giving you the benefit of the doubt what is he then 1- a player making a complete fool of himself  suggesting he is not very good? Or 2- you were just being a bit harsh and trying to be funny, but you really think he is OK?

On 6/23/2022 at 8:44 PM, Yodo said:

Kept it to two lines so u in particular would understand
Not good enough for Hibs then not good enough for us 

He played 34 matches for Hibs last season.  And bare in mind Hibs had 3 different managers last season who would all would have had different ideas.

He also scored 3 league goals which would have made him our joint second highest scorer!

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He played 34 matches for Hibs last season.  And bare in mind Hibs had 3 different managers last season who would all would have had different ideas.

He also scored 3 league goals which would have made him our joint second highest scorer!

Yes he did all that but when he went to trigger his 1 year extension because of his number of appearances the new Hibs boss told him he wouldn’t be getting a start so better to move on . He is probably no worse or better than SOD so I’ll stick to my first comment not good enough for Hibs then not good enough for us 

14 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Yes he did all that but when he went to trigger his 1 year extension because of his number of appearances the new Hibs boss told him he wouldn’t be getting a start so better to move on . He is probably no worse or better than SOD so I’ll stick to my first comment not good enough for Hibs then not good enough for us 

The fact he played and scored for Hibs under 3 different managers and played well enough to be called up to the Scotland squad  ( that's 4 managers now he's obviously impressed) confirms he was good enough for Hibs so stop talking shite.

10 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The fact he played and scored for Hibs under 3 different managers and played well enough to be called up to the Scotland squad  ( that's 4 managers now he's obviously impressed) confirms he was good enough for Hibs so stop talking shite.

So why is he getting allowed to leave 

McGinn will be a good signing for us, I’m quite confident of that. He’s more than proved himself at the level we play at and has been involved with the National team so unless he develops an attitude similar to our esteemed Captain then he’ll do a job for us.

We need to be recruiting more attacking players mind you, especially forwards but I have a horrible feeling that GA is happy with what we’ve got.

51 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Surely that’s down to the opinion of the new manager, does that make the other managers wrong ? Every manger has different ideas on what he wants from a player. Frankly I don’t care either way because it’s down to how he plays for us, that’s all that matters.

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Hibs mainly played 3 at the back last season with McGinn as the right sided defender.

Maybe the new manager has a different defensive set up in mind?

They also brought in Lewis Miller the young Australian player who is a right back as well as Allan Deferriere who is also a right back and also have Chris Cadden  who can play there.

Most managers want to bring in their own players.  They have also brought in five midfielders/forwards with Doidge apparently on the way out.

Just now, Stevie73 said:

Spoke to a taxi driver today, says he dropped 3 Japanese guy ‘s off at the Moorings, staying there apparently,  one was interpreter, seemingly  guys are here as trialists ??

Hopefully they don't drop any plates on the dinner guests and get a job at the Moorings. :lol:

15 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Spoke to a taxi driver today, says he dropped 3 Japanese guy ‘s off at the Moorings, staying there apparently,  one was interpreter, seemingly  guys are here as trialists ??

I heard the same. One of them is a defensive midfielder and the other can play anywhere across the front three. The interpreter supposedly told them that we are a great wee club.

40 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Hibs mainly played 3 at the back last season with McGinn as the right sided defender.

Maybe the new manager has a different defensive set up in mind?

They also brought in Lewis Miller the young Australian player who is a right back as well as Allan Deferriere who is also a right back and also have Chris Cadden  who can play there.

Most managers want to bring in their own players.  They have also brought in five midfielders/forwards with Doidge apparently on the way out.

With the exception of mcgeady,hibs seem like they are aiming for a young squad of players,so it was no surprise that mcginn was told he wasn't going to feature.i think he will be decent for us which will do giving how bad odonnell was last season and if it means that we don't need to witness mugabi lumbering about at right back then even better.

On 6/23/2022 at 12:55 AM, wunderwell said:

I'll take the bet. Aberdeen will be 6ish or better. Hibs worse. Have you seen who they have signed???

The original point was that Aberdeen and Hibs will better than last year so if they finish above 9th and10th they've been better than last year.  If you take that £100 bet you are mad but no for me to tell folk what to do.

5 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Not to mention that Bobby Graham wasn't good enough for Liverpool, Peter Marinello wasn't good enough for Arsenal and Joe Wark wasn't good enough for Irvine Victoria. :D

Or Wullie P for Hibs if we are being nostalgic. That Graham - Pettigrew double act was some partnership given they were not good enough going by some folks criteria. And let's add Vic Davidson.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic