David

2022/23 ins & outs discussion

28 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Red top rumour that highly rated Bailey Rice is attracting interest from the gruesome twosome and Manchester City.  I think this has been on the go for several months.  He wasn't in the list of lads who stepped up to the professional ranks. No doubt the club is trying to retain him but the lure of big names may turn his and his parents heads.  I think the club will be due some compensation although it'll be minimal; we can negotiate with add ons etc. Not a great situation losing top rated youngsters before they make the breakthrough but thats life. 

From my admittedly limited understanding of how this works today... I think this whole system needs to be revised and updated... as it acts as a massive disincentive for smaller clubs to develop players (thereby eventually resulting in fewer clubs having academies... a smaller pool of potential players... who because they develop at different speeds / stages, some may be lost to the game). The bigger clubs can hoover up high potential boys and take a chance on paying the limited compensation when they're teenagers, and the smaller clubs lose out on potentially much larger transfer fees later on... not to mention the chance to see brilliant young players in the first team for a season or two. There could be a sliding scale of much more significant compensation, e.g. 10 appearances in a top tier league = £1m... 30 appearances in a top tier league  = £5m... 5 appearances in the Champions League = £1m... etc. The top players will still end up at the richer clubs,  but at least there'll be a better incentive for clubs like ours to have great academies, and with the dough spread a bit more widely, it might even result in a more level playing field. It's just so depressing to see our youth internationals leaving before they've even signed a pro contract, and we get a relatively paltry sum for the trouble of developing them for a number of years.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Red top rumour that highly rated Bailey Rice is attracting interest from the gruesome twosome and Manchester City.  I think this has been on the go for several months.  He wasn't in the list of lads who stepped up to the professional ranks. No doubt the club is trying to retain him but the lure of big names may turn his and his parents heads.  I think the club will be due some compensation although it'll be minimal; we can negotiate with add ons etc. Not a great situation losing top rated youngsters before they make the breakthrough but thats life. 

Somebody needs to remind him of how Paul Slane’s career path panned out when he left at 17. 

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

Somebody needs to remind him of how Paul Slane’s career path panned out when he left at 17. 

It's certainly no coincidence that the youngsters who have moved on with their careers are the ones who racked up a decent amount of first team appearances for us first.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

It's certainly no coincidence that the youngsters who have moved on with their careers are the ones who racked up a decent amount of first team appearances for us first.

It’s hard to beat experience which is why I am expecting to see the likes of Shields, Woolery, Slattery and KVV performances to improve and be more consistent. 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

It’s hard to beat experience which is why I am expecting to see the likes of Shields, Woolery, Slattery and KVV performances to improve and be more consistent. 

Our forwards are some of the most experienced players in the squad already only Slattery out of the 4 quoted could be described as inexperienced

19 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Our forwards are some of the most experienced players in the squad already only Slattery out of the 4 quoted could be described as inexperienced

Where does GI Joe fit in this category?

5 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Is there a category for hopeless?

29 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

I was really specifically meaning experience of the Scottish premier league. 

26 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

125 1st team league games and 35 goals in the last 5 years that's decent experience compared to some we have signed in the past.

22 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I was really specifically meaning experience of the Scottish premier league. 

With the amount of time you have been here and the number of posts you’ve made, you should know to be very specific and not the slightest vague - tut, tut, tut. :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

With the amount of time you have been here and the number of posts you’ve made, you should know to be very specific and not the slightest vague - tut, tut, tut. :)

I know. Has wee yin taught me nothing!

• Haha 2

Games Played 

Van Veen 340
Efford         125
Woolery     263
Shields        140

22 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

Arthur Gnahoua, anyone heard that he’s reported to have signed?

Can play anywhere across the front three.....

27 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

So yet another youngster who’s came through our academy moves on without playing a first team match. It’s scunnering enough when our young talent moves on after less than a season playing for us but when they leave before getting anywhere near the first team it is just so frustrating.

1 minute ago, MJC_mkII said:

So yet another youngster who’s came through our academy moves on without playing a first team match. It’s scunnering enough when our young talent moves on after less than a season playing for us but when they leave before getting anywhere near the first team it is just so frustrating.

You have to wonder what strategy Rangers use to attract these signings. It can't be "look at all the youngsters we've signed that have gone on to prosper (or even make an appearance) in our first team".

Of course I know it's money and OF loylaty, but you'd hope that whoever is advising the kids would have the sense to see that it's always the youngsters that rack up first team games with us that are the ones who succeed.

I've always wondered how teams outside the OF managed to get these promising players in the 1st place. Is it because there is a limit of players teams can put through their academy? or is just them slipping through the net?

It is frustrating seeing us lose talent before they kick a ball.

1 hour ago, DunnyMFC said:

I've always wondered how teams outside the OF managed to get these promising players in the 1st place. Is it because there is a limit of players teams can put through their academy? or is just them slipping through the net?

It is frustrating seeing us lose talent before they kick a ball.

The OF don't need a net, they just pick kids up from the likes of us when they are getting near 16 and offer them plenty of dosh. I think they have signed our lad, a boy from Inverness and another from Thistle all very recently.

46 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

The OF don't need a net, they just pick kids up from the likes of us when they are getting near 16 and offer them plenty of dosh. I think they have signed our lad, a boy from Inverness and another from Thistle all very recently.

The lads get their heads turned by parents and/or agents into signing for a big club, more money etc, but the reality is most of them will never be heard of again, they will take the cash and bragging rights as a Rangers / Celtic or whatever player etc for a  few years and never get near the 1st team , if they are lucky they will get farmed out on loan before being released.

Hope he disappears without a trace , what a complete waste of time training him up . 

4 hours ago, DunnyMFC said:

Part of it is risk/reward.  It's very difficult to tell how well very young players are going to develop regardless of their talent. They develop at different speeds and most will stop progressing (or progressing enough) to make the grade.

If you are a bigger club like the OF (or a massive club an EPL team) it's much more cost effective to skip the 5 or 10 years time/money/effort developing kids and just take them off the smaller clubs when they continue to show potential at 16 or 17.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

You have to wonder what strategy Rangers use to attract these signings. It can't be "look at all the youngsters we've signed that have gone on to prosper (or even make an appearance) in our first team".

Of course I know it's money and OF loylaty, but you'd hope that whoever is advising the kids would have the sense to see that it's always the youngsters that rack up first team games with us that are the ones who succeed.

In answer to your first point........ money, and in many cases thats quite enough.

Your second point - often its parents' blind adulation of one half of the gruesome twosome thats the sole basis of "advice"......Pearo anyone? 

As for Bailey Rice, we are due compensation albeit very limited. I'm no expert and the rules are complex, but I believe that he can't sign professional forms with any club until he turns 16.  As he's only 15 its in our club's interest to strike some kind of deal now when we still can. Maybe someone more familar with the rules can explain this.  Very disappointing but thats the way it is. The big boy always triumphs over the wee lad. 

This has got to be the dullest close season on record. Every day goes by not a thing in the papers about us. I sincerely hope there plenty happening in private cos if you relied on the media / press youd think wed gone outta business LOL

It’s certainly been dull and also highly concerning with the lack of signings, especially those of an attacking nature. I get this horrible feeling that GA is more or less happy with what we’ve got, so expect another season of eye bleeding football and dreadful form. This time though we don’t have Tony Watt to bail us out for half a season so unless we surpass the luck we got last year we could well be in serious relegation trouble in 22/23.