2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

During an EFL League One fixture between Plymouth Argyle and Scunthorpe United, Plymouth goalkeeper Matt Macey attempted to throw the ball out of play so he could receive treatment for a suspected broken ankle. However, Morris ran to retrieve the ball to keep it in play and subsequently chipped the injured keeper to equalise.

Morris and KVV shithousery could be something else next season.

• Haha 1

Welcome Josh Morris. I paid a very rare visit to P & B tonight. I'm just not sure what kind of player he is. Maybe more of a midfielder than a striker??? But, what kind of midfielder?? 

From GA's comments we seem to looking for 1 or perhaps 2 more, maybe up front?  I would have thought that a Van Veen back up or defender would have been higher up our shopping list, but what do I know.

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

From GA's comments we seem to looking for 1 or perhaps 2 more, maybe up front?  I would have thought that a Van Veen back up or defender would have been higher up our shopping list, but what do I know.

We have two left backs, three right backs and five or six players who can play centre half. You can quibble about the quality of them (and personally, I would) but to sign another defender when Alexander has signed or extended the contract of every defender on our books would not reflect well on his judgement...

No harm to the guy but whatever he is he’s not a striker. He has scored 54 goals in 293 games - equates to a goal every 18 games or so!!  He’s 30 and coming to us from what used to be the old English 4th division.  FFS!!  So much for improving the level of the playing squad!! :dash2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, El Grew said:

No harm to the guy but whatever he is he’s not a striker. He has scored 54 goals in 293 games - equates to a goal every 18 games or so!!  He’s 30 and coming to us from what used to be the old English 4th division.  FFS!!  So much for improving the level of the playing squad!! :dash2:

Check your maths, 293 / 54 = 5.4 so a goal every 5th or 6th game - unless you’ve missed typed your figures or my maths is worse than I thought. 
Not arguing with where he’s from but at least I’ll give him a chance. 
Maybe you should stop the head banging and save the brain cells :)

38 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Ryan Bowman was a lower league player who rarely scored for us. However, he was the ideal partner for Louis Moult and helped him thrive in his time at Fir Park.

If this guy has already had a productive partnership with KVV then I'll be quite happy if he helps him thrive too.

(Also, your arithmetic is miles out).

• Like 1

Probably like others, it's a bit of a meh signing for me. 
For me, like most, we are still 3 players short. A left back, centre half and a central striker. 

I would have also liked to see us bringing in another central midfielder but it seems like the chances of that are slim to none. 

So far, we are looking at

------------------Kelly

----Mcginn-----Solholm---Mugabe------

O'Donnell-----------------------------?

----------------Maguire 

---------Slattery-----Spittal-------

------Van Veen------Woolery

It's a serviceable team - probably bottom six -  but missing quality and someone to drag us up the pitch. 

Subs: 

Fox

Ojala

Lamie 

Johnston

Goss

Carroll

McGinley

Tierney 

Efford

Shields

Morris

I would still like to see us get shot of Goss, Carroll, McGinley & Efford but as they say, it's the hope that kills you. I just can't help but feeling we would get so much more value of 2 quality salaries rather than these 4 imposters. 

8 hours ago, El Grew said:

When are people going to realise that the "old English Div 4" as you put it is the market we are in, all the quality players Strikers, midfield  etc that people keep harping on about us needing to sign, are either playing at bigger clubs than us or if they are available we can't afford them.

That level has unearthed players like Bowman, Moult, Higdon, Hartley,  etc who all turned out well, so why not get behind the players and the team we've got instead of pining for headlines like "Ngolo Kante signs on at Fir Park" which will  never come.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, El Grew said:

What school did you go to?  Your maths is sh***

10 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

During an EFL League One fixture between Plymouth Argyle and Scunthorpe United, Plymouth goalkeeper Matt Macey attempted to throw the ball out of play so he could receive treatment for a suspected broken ankle. However, Morris ran to retrieve the ball to keep it in play and subsequently chipped the injured keeper to equalise.

Morris and KVV shithousery could be something else next season.

And here's the video

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11711578/controversial-iron-goal-sparks-melee

9 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

We have two left backs, three right backs and five or six players who can play centre half. You can quibble about the quality of them (and personally, I would) but to sign another defender when Alexander has signed or extended the contract of every defender on our books would not reflect well on his judgement...

He knows the defence needs improvement. How he'll do that  remains to be seen, but players may need to be shipped out first before signing another defender(s). 

17 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

He knows the defence needs improvement. How he'll do that  remains to be seen, but players may need to be shipped out first before signing another defender(s). 

He's unlikely to be shipping out players that he's signed recently or whose contracts he has extended recently. Carroll is the only one I can see moving on. He extended Carroll's contract quite early in his tenure and may be regretting that one now. But even there, I'm not certain he'd want to move him on...

16 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

He's unlikely to be shipping out players that he's signed recently or whose contracts he has extended recently. Carroll is the only one I can see moving on. He extended Carroll's contract quite early in his tenure and may be regretting that one now. But even there, I'm not certain he'd want to move him on...

I don't see us bringing in anymore defenders and we will be going into the new season with what we have.i could be wrong but other than odonnell I think alexander has either signed or re-signed every other defender we have,it's now upto him to get the best out of what we have and make us better in that area,let's hope we also see an end to the chopping and changing in defence,that was doing us no favours last season,he needs to settle on a back 4 or 5 or whatever the case may be and let some partnerships develop.

17 minutes ago, mfc said:

,let's hope we also see an end to the chopping and changing in defence,that was doing us no favours last season,he needs to settle on a back 4 or 5 or whatever the case may be and let some partnerships develo

Totally agree. Every week it was different defence. Needs to stop.

14 minutes ago, mfc said:

I don't see us bringing in anymore defenders and we will be going into the new season with what we have.i could be wrong but other than odonnell I think alexander has either signed or re-signed every other defender we have,it's now upto him to get the best out of what we have and make us better in that area,let's hope we also see an end to the chopping and changing in defence,that was doing us no favours last season,he needs to settle on a back 4 or 5 or whatever the case may be and let some partnerships develop.

I agree.  A few have said to me that Ojala and Johansen should be better this season, having adapted and also having had a break they hadn't had last season coming straight from a Scandinavian league timetable. Time will tell, Johansen in particular I have my doubts about.

What I do feel might make a difference, and I'll be laughed out of court on this one, is the return of Barry Maguire.  People point to the loss of Tony Watt leading to our form tanking last season but it also coincided with Maguire getting injured. He's the only one who seems to have the positional discipline to play at the back of our midfield. For me, he's key to a midfield balance. His presence might stop our defence being so easily got at. As I say, I know this is an unpopular view but for me the midfield should be Maguire, Slattery and one other, preferably not named Sean Goss...

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

What I do feel might make a difference, and I'll be laughed out of court on this one, is the return of Barry Maguire.  People point to the loss of Tony Watt leading to our form tanking last season but it also coincided with Maguire getting injured. He's the only one who seems to have the positional discipline to play at the back of our midfield. For me, he's key to a midfield balance. His presence might stop our defence being so easily got at. As I say, I know this is an unpopular view but for me the midfield should be Maguire, Slattery and one other, preferably not named Sean Goss...

Agree … … our form hit the buffers after Maguire got injured at Tynecastle. He’s not the quickest but neither was Alan Campbell 

As for the defence … yip our GD was horrendous but take away the OF humpings it was on a par with most of the teams at our level but has to be improved I’m hoping that a good pre season ( which a lot of our signings last year did not get ) with time to work on our shape will see an improvement this ares. A good percentage of the goals we lost last season was down to silly/stupid individual errors if we can cut those out I’m sure we will see an improvement 

I see that a lot of the people on here are saying that the new signing could take the left sided position in the team where Goss currently plays but it did cross my mind that Morris might be a Watt replacement who could play in front of Goss 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mintymac said:

I see that a lot of the people on here are saying that the new signing could take the left sided position in the team where Goss currently plays but it did cross my mind that Morris might be a Watt replacement who could play in front of Goss 

If Goss gets a game for us this season then we will have made no progress from last season . We need a ball winner in the middle of the park and somebody who can run the game for us 

6 hours ago, Kmac said:

For me, like most, we are still 3 players short. A left back, centre half and a central striker. 

I would have also liked to see us bringing in another central midfielder but it seems like the chances of that are slim to none. 

So far, we are looking at

------------------Kelly

----Mcginn-----Solholm---Mugabe------

O'Donnell-----------------------------?

----------------Maguire 

---------Slattery-----Spittal-------

------Van Veen------Woolery

It's a serviceable team - probably bottom six -  but missing quality and someone to drag us up the pitch. 

Subs: 

Fox

Ojala

Lamie 

Johnston

Goss

Carroll

McGinley

Tierney 

Efford

Shields

Morris

I would still like to see us get shot of Goss, Carroll, McGinley & Efford but as they say, it's the hope that kills you. I just can't help but feeling we would get so much more value of 2 quality salaries rather than these 4 imposters. 

Mugabe in b4 lamie in that position..ive heard it all now

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kmac said:

I see this reaction for 99% of the signings we make, and it makes me ask, what exactly are fans expecting? Household names that we all recognise? Prolific strikers who have been banging them in the season or two before?

It doesn't work that way. There has been maybe one or two signings in recent times that we've made where I haven't reacted by saying "never heard of him, let's see what he has to offer." 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Anybody know if Morris was in the training camp in Austria or will we have to wait till he gets up to speed to him in action 

Not in Austria. Suspect he’ll have been in pre-season training at least as long as we have if not longer.

• David locked this topic