David

2022/23 ins & outs discussion

17 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

He knows the defence needs improvement. How he'll do that  remains to be seen, but players may need to be shipped out first before signing another defender(s). 

He's unlikely to be shipping out players that he's signed recently or whose contracts he has extended recently. Carroll is the only one I can see moving on. He extended Carroll's contract quite early in his tenure and may be regretting that one now. But even there, I'm not certain he'd want to move him on...

16 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

He's unlikely to be shipping out players that he's signed recently or whose contracts he has extended recently. Carroll is the only one I can see moving on. He extended Carroll's contract quite early in his tenure and may be regretting that one now. But even there, I'm not certain he'd want to move him on...

I don't see us bringing in anymore defenders and we will be going into the new season with what we have.i could be wrong but other than odonnell I think alexander has either signed or re-signed every other defender we have,it's now upto him to get the best out of what we have and make us better in that area,let's hope we also see an end to the chopping and changing in defence,that was doing us no favours last season,he needs to settle on a back 4 or 5 or whatever the case may be and let some partnerships develop.

17 minutes ago, mfc said:

,let's hope we also see an end to the chopping and changing in defence,that was doing us no favours last season,he needs to settle on a back 4 or 5 or whatever the case may be and let some partnerships develo

Totally agree. Every week it was different defence. Needs to stop.

14 minutes ago, mfc said:

I don't see us bringing in anymore defenders and we will be going into the new season with what we have.i could be wrong but other than odonnell I think alexander has either signed or re-signed every other defender we have,it's now upto him to get the best out of what we have and make us better in that area,let's hope we also see an end to the chopping and changing in defence,that was doing us no favours last season,he needs to settle on a back 4 or 5 or whatever the case may be and let some partnerships develop.

I agree.  A few have said to me that Ojala and Johansen should be better this season, having adapted and also having had a break they hadn't had last season coming straight from a Scandinavian league timetable. Time will tell, Johansen in particular I have my doubts about.

What I do feel might make a difference, and I'll be laughed out of court on this one, is the return of Barry Maguire.  People point to the loss of Tony Watt leading to our form tanking last season but it also coincided with Maguire getting injured. He's the only one who seems to have the positional discipline to play at the back of our midfield. For me, he's key to a midfield balance. His presence might stop our defence being so easily got at. As I say, I know this is an unpopular view but for me the midfield should be Maguire, Slattery and one other, preferably not named Sean Goss...

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

What I do feel might make a difference, and I'll be laughed out of court on this one, is the return of Barry Maguire.  People point to the loss of Tony Watt leading to our form tanking last season but it also coincided with Maguire getting injured. He's the only one who seems to have the positional discipline to play at the back of our midfield. For me, he's key to a midfield balance. His presence might stop our defence being so easily got at. As I say, I know this is an unpopular view but for me the midfield should be Maguire, Slattery and one other, preferably not named Sean Goss...

Agree … … our form hit the buffers after Maguire got injured at Tynecastle. He’s not the quickest but neither was Alan Campbell 

As for the defence … yip our GD was horrendous but take away the OF humpings it was on a par with most of the teams at our level but has to be improved I’m hoping that a good pre season ( which a lot of our signings last year did not get ) with time to work on our shape will see an improvement this ares. A good percentage of the goals we lost last season was down to silly/stupid individual errors if we can cut those out I’m sure we will see an improvement 

I see that a lot of the people on here are saying that the new signing could take the left sided position in the team where Goss currently plays but it did cross my mind that Morris might be a Watt replacement who could play in front of Goss 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mintymac said:

I see that a lot of the people on here are saying that the new signing could take the left sided position in the team where Goss currently plays but it did cross my mind that Morris might be a Watt replacement who could play in front of Goss 

If Goss gets a game for us this season then we will have made no progress from last season . We need a ball winner in the middle of the park and somebody who can run the game for us 

6 hours ago, Kmac said:

Probably like others, it's a bit of a meh signing for me. 
For me, like most, we are still 3 players short. A left back, centre half and a central striker. 

I would have also liked to see us bringing in another central midfielder but it seems like the chances of that are slim to none. 

So far, we are looking at

------------------Kelly

----Mcginn-----Solholm---Mugabe------

O'Donnell-----------------------------?

----------------Maguire 

---------Slattery-----Spittal-------

------Van Veen------Woolery

It's a serviceable team - probably bottom six -  but missing quality and someone to drag us up the pitch. 

Subs: 

Fox

Ojala

Lamie 

Johnston

Goss

Carroll

McGinley

Tierney 

Efford

Shields

Morris

I would still like to see us get shot of Goss, Carroll, McGinley & Efford but as they say, it's the hope that kills you. I just can't help but feeling we would get so much more value of 2 quality salaries rather than these 4 imposters. 

Mugabe in b4 lamie in that position..ive heard it all now

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kmac said:

Probably like others, it's a bit of a meh signing for me. 

I see this reaction for 99% of the signings we make, and it makes me ask, what exactly are fans expecting? Household names that we all recognise? Prolific strikers who have been banging them in the season or two before?

It doesn't work that way. There has been maybe one or two signings in recent times that we've made where I haven't reacted by saying "never heard of him, let's see what he has to offer." 

• Like 1

Anybody know if Morris was in the training camp in Austria or will we have to wait till he gets up to speed to him in action 

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Anybody know if Morris was in the training camp in Austria or will we have to wait till he gets up to speed to him in action 

Not in Austria. Suspect he’ll have been in pre-season training at least as long as we have if not longer.

https://t.co/TFvhueTCDc
(https://twitter.com/Superligyolucom/status/1546901316013887488?t=q3i2FaFhiE8RCE-vWp3KJA&s=03

Woolery on the way out?. Fake account?

Summary - Sakaryaspor signed an agreement with Motherwell FC's left winger Kaiyne Woolery. Woolery will come to Sakarya and sign a contract tomorrow.

)

We should set a self imposed deadline within the club that we don’t sell players within a certain time prior to our first competitive match. Make sure all the players are aware of it and stick to it. 

3 hours ago, David said:

I see this reaction for 99% of the signings we make, and it makes me ask, what exactly are fans expecting? Household names that we all recognise? Prolific strikers who have been banging them in the season or two before?

It doesn't work that way. There has been maybe one or two signings in recent times that we've made where I haven't reacted by saying "never heard of him, let's see what he has to offer." 

My issue isn't with the player - he may be a decent midfielder/winger.  I'm personally bored to tears of this 'he can play anywhere in the front 3'. at least with KVV he was singed as a striker - go sign another one of those please.  

I also don't understand the pile up of decent players for the same position - multiple right backs, centre halves and now midfield players - unless we're moving away from the 4-3-3 I've no clue what the plan is.,

22 minutes ago, parko66 said:

Hopefully we can hold on to KVV

We’re a selling club so when if they price ie right he’ll be away. 

It’ll be some laugh with a front 3 of shields, efford and Morris 

20 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

Check your maths, 293 / 54 = 5.4 so a goal every 5th or 6th game - unless you’ve missed typed your figures or my maths is worse than I thought. 
Not arguing with where he’s from but at least I’ll give him a chance. 
Maybe you should stop the head banging and save the brain cells :)

Okay pedant! :)  I cocked up - divided 293 by 18! Duh!  However I stand by the rest of my post.  We’re already well served in the forward area with Efford, Van Veen, Tierney,  Shields , Mahon and Woolery so this guy could end up being a bench-warmer.   IMO all of our problems last season were in central defence and midfield and we’ve done precious little to address that.

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

We’re a selling club so when if they price ie right he’ll be away. 

If it's a decent offer then it should be considered but only if replacement lined up. I like KVV but I do think he gets cut a lot of slack, if he was just Kevin Veen he would have got more pelters. His discipline last season was shocking and he missed about 4 or 5 games due to his petty bookings and when we had nowt options up front.  Again I hope he stays but if someone offered say £300k then it's hard to turn down 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Well Well said:

https://t.co/TFvhueTCDc
(https://twitter.com/Superligyolucom/status/1546901316013887488?t=q3i2FaFhiE8RCE-vWp3KJA&s=03

Woolery on the way out?. Fake account?

Summary - Sakaryaspor signed an agreement with Motherwell FC's left winger Kaiyne Woolery. Woolery will come to Sakarya and sign a contract tomorrow.

)

Surprised there hasnt been more comment on this story.

Anyone got any idea whether there is any truth in it?

I was hoping we would have been working hard on Woolery to get more out of him this season and that he might get an extended run in the team to show what he can do. I think he has ability and all the physical attributes to be succesful in the SPL, its whats between the ears thats holding him back imho. I was hoping that could be fixed by some good coaching.

I suppose if he is moved on, at least it frees up a wage to get someone else in. I cant imagine the club in question would be paying a fee for him, even if he is under contract.

3 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Surprised there hasnt been more comment on this story.

Anyone got any idea whether there is any truth in it?

I was hoping we would have been working hard on Woolery to get more out of him this season and that he might get an extended run in the team to show what he can do. I think he has ability and all the physical attributes to be succesful in the SPL, its whats between the ears thats holding him back imho. I was hoping that could be fixed by some good coaching.

I suppose if he is moved on, at least it frees up a wage to get someone else in. I cant imagine the club in question would be paying a fee for him, even if he is under contract.

Well if hes under contract we wont be giving him to them for nothing.

35 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Well if hes under contract we wont be giving him to them for nothing.

Unless we have given up on him and are actively trying to move him on?

If be disappointed if that were the case, but Id be surprised if they paid a fee for him on last seasons limited performances.

14 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Unless we have given up on him and are actively trying to move him on?

If be disappointed if that were the case, but Id be surprised if they paid a fee for him on last seasons limited performances.

Maybe their scout has a season ticket at Ibrox...

3 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

We should set a self imposed deadline within the club that we don’t sell players within a certain time prior to our first competitive match. Make sure all the players are aware of it and stick to it. 

:lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

My issue isn't with the player - he may be a decent midfielder/winger.  I'm personally bored to tears of this 'he can play anywhere in the front 3'. at least with KVV he was singed as a striker - go sign another one of those please.  

Isn't that just modern football though?  The centre forward pairing is no more unfortunately and I'd rather 'anywhere in the front 3' than 'big guy that holds the ball up and flicks things on'.

That seems to be your choices these days.