2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

12 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Suppose time will tell. Think most react with mirth when realising the random information is from the source who claimed we had signed the £15million rated Sofiane Feghouli from Galatasaray last summer.

Aye fair doos. I didnt know that.

Probably a load of shite then.

I get the impression that Alexander is very aware of the criticisms of last season and has gone for a player he knows and thinks he can trust to have an immediate impact and buy him a bit of time whilst he puts the other pieces of the jigsaw together. I could be be totally wrong, but if he has anywhere near the quality KVV has with a little bit more consistency, I will be quite happy.  Given the input from Captain Oats though, it may be an admission that Goss isnt good enough and is likely to be a squad player this season.......

5 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I get the impression that Alexander is very aware of the criticisms of last season and has gone for a player he knows and thinks he can trust to have an immediate impact and buy him a bit of time whilst he puts the other pieces of the jigsaw together. I could be be totally wrong, but if he has anywhere near the quality KVV has with a little bit more consistency, I will be quite happy.  Given the input from Captain Oats though, it may be an admission that Goss isnt good enough and is likely to be a squad player this season.......

personally think Goss is ok but not in a 3 man midfield as he's a bit powder puff and doesnt offer protection to the left back. 

I thought Spittal was brought in as the left sided midfield player.  Be interesting to see who starts from the likes of Slattery, Spittal, Cornelius ,Goss, and now Morris.  Not to mention Tierney who looks better as an old number 10 type player.  

Gives plenty of options for formations though - a decent blend of players. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

personally think Goss is ok but not in a 3 man midfield as he's a bit powder puff and doesnt offer protection to the left back. 

I thought Spittal was brought in as the left sided midfield player.  Be interesting to see who starts from the likes of Slattery, Spittal, Cornelius ,Goss, and now Morris.  Not to mention Tierney who looks better as an old number 10 type player.  

Gives plenty of options for formations though - a decent blend of players. 

Id agree with that.

If we can get the formation and the mix right, we might just be able to keep the ball on the ground a bit this season!

According to the Daily Express tonight, we are getting a keeper in trial, Aston Oxborough, who is highly rated by Andy Dibble. Also sounds like Woolery will be away as he was given permission to speak to the Turkish club. Interesting to see if he's getting turfed oot or if we are getting a fee of such.

46 minutes ago, pretzel said:

According to the Daily Express tonight, we are getting a keeper in trial, Aston Oxborough, who is highly rated by Andy Dibble. Also sounds like Woolery will be away as he was given permission to speak to the Turkish club. Interesting to see if he's getting turfed oot or if we are getting a fee of such.

He still has 2 years to go on his contract.

Why would we need a 3rd keeper?

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Personal view is Woolery moving on is a good move.  He certainly has pace and some skill, albeit didn't really hurt teams. Many of us in the first half of the season couldn't believe he got a start every week.  With our without a fee I don't see it being a loss. 

Re Keeper - can't help but think Kelly is one if the very few players we have who would attract interest from bigger clubs - a bit of extra protection perhaps ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Scott Burns at the Daily Express used to cover our player transfers and was always on the money, don't know if he still covers us as he seems to do a lot of stuff based on Aberdeen these days. I had seen Woolery linked with a move a few days ago and just assumed it was a fake rumour until I seen it posted by them.

I was surprised by the keeper link as a few days ago Graham Alexander was saying he was looking at two or three players for attacking positions, I'm not sure if that was said prior to Morris joining though. Liam Kelly you would imagine would have suitors and would Scott Fox be looking for some game time as he is now 35. Im not really gutted about losing Woolery, I feel he should have offered much more than he delivered, ironically enough he seemed to get a bit of form then he was benched. Hopefully get a decent fee.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:47 AM, Onthefringes said:

Suppose time will tell. Think most react with mirth when realising the random information is from the source who claimed we had signed the £15million rated Sofiane Feghouli from Galatasaray last summer.

Daily Rancid reporting this morning that Woolery has signed for Turkish 2nd tier side Sakaryaspor.

As stated previously, be sorry to see him go, as I hadnt given up on him, but if there is a fee involved and we can get someone else in, its a no brainer for the club.

Only reason there would not be a fee if there was a clause in the contract but Motherwell would never have signed him on such a long contract with such a clause, it would be suicidal to our finances. We are a selling club and every player has a value. No doubt the fee will not be disclosed.

11 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Only reason there would not be a fee if there was a clause in the contract but Motherwell would never have signed him on such a long contract with such a clause, it would be suicidal to our finances. We are a selling club and every player has a value. No doubt the fee will not be disclosed.

Correct every player on our books is for sale at the right price.

The club pushed the boat out with the fee and Kelly’s wages in the hope that we would sell him on for a good profit. Think we will be looking to punt him in the January window hence the interest in Aston Oxborough who has come through the Norwich youth setup which is not to shabby.

On Woolery, I always thought there was a player there about to break out, I think Alexander thought the same and it appears this Turkish mob also think the same.  If we move him on for profit after a half decent season then that's great. 

With the goalkeeping situation, you'd expect that Kelly will have admirers. We've brought him on what will be a good wage for us and possibly for a substantial (for us) fee from QPR. I imagine the plan was always to put him in the shop window and move him on for profit,  which again I've no issue with as he's done great on the 50 or so games he's played for us. Fox is here because he's happy to sit on the bench and not draw a big wage, he's seeing out his career but can still do enough of a job if required.  No idea about this young keeper we're linked with but it makes sense to do some contingency planning in case someone stumps up for Kelly.

Defensively I'm hanging my hat on Ojala being like a new signing this season. We have a thing where players get better the longer they're out injured in our minds but if you play through some injuries (which I'm assuming Ojala has) you get slated for being useless or totally done and past it. This could be wishful thinking on my part but it makes sense. We were shipping goals and bringing in an experienced steady hand would fix it, even if he's not 100% he can use his experience etc... now it didn't work but you can see why the manager would have done it.

I'm strangely optimistic about the new season, probably cos I'm excited about going to a meaning game next Thursday rather than the half competitive game half pre season of the league Cup group stages.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I’d be a little disappointed to lose Woolery, at times he was horrific but he could also be unplayable. He got benched at a bizarre time when he was coming right into form.

For me he's alway been better coming off the bench.

Surely the goalkeeper interest is due to PJ Morrison going to Falkirk?

Scott Fox, in my opinion, was never a very good goalkeeper in the first place.  At his age and with his lack of game time you'd hope we'd be looking around for another keeper.

We don't want to have another situation akin to a couple of seasons ago where we get an injury and then only have 1 first team level goalkeeper available.

3 hours ago, El Grew said:

Daily Rancid reporting this morning that Woolery has signed for Turkish 2nd tier side Sakaryaspor.

As I said, suppose time will tell. If he goes, creates opportunity.

I’m certainly not going to get bent out of shape over a player who played second fiddle to Joe Efford. The rights and wrongs of that is a different debate…

Had 2 years left on deal so if we have got decent money it's great business in my opinion. Apart from a few goals against gers and a Great performance against dun utd he didn't really impress me. Hopefully the Turks also highly rate Carroll and McGinley

• Haha 2

• David locked this topic