Jump to content

David

2022/23 ins & outs discussion

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Suprawell said:

Disappointed about Mark, he could play at centre half, sit in front of the back 4 and was good coming forward.  Don't blame the guy, the horses arse of a manager wouldn't know a midfielder if he tripped over one...he picks that hammer thrower Donnelly every week.  

Yes but could he play well in these positions? In my view he was energetic and ran about a lot, scoring an odd goal. Very eye-catching. However he has a poor injury record and has shown little positional sense - causing problems for others  which isn't so obvious. Apparently he was one of the higher earners.  I can only assume that the management didn't think he was worthy of another deal. Maybe his departure will create some space for a youngster like Dean Cornelius. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

Think a PCA can be signed any time in the last 6 months of a player's contract and has nothing to do with the transfer window as they don't actually do the official signing after the window opens again. I could be wrong, obviously.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
 

Think you're right on that but regardless, I just find the timing of it all a bit strange. Maybe nothing in it other than the press getting hold of the story via the players agent or something like that.

Have the 2 clubs mentioned anything officially?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, santheman said:

Think you're right on that but regardless, I just find the timing of it all a bit strange. Maybe nothing in it other than the press getting hold of the story via the players agent or something like that.

Have the 2 clubs mentioned anything officially?

I very much doubt that his agent would leak to the press without St Mirren's permission. More likely that St Mirren leaked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Take a moment, engage your brain, how would a random website have any idea the exact amount we are paying each individual player?

 

Darragh O'Connor being on 2.4k a week tells you that they are indeed talking mince.

I did put a “health warning” on my post about the website in question. Anyway, prior to signing for us, Darragh O’Connor was at Leicester City where he was on £2,400 per week.  For an English Premiership side that is chicken-feed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Dunfermline beat Partick 4-1 tonight with 3 of our ex-players in their line-up - Stephen Lawless, Liam Polworth & Don Thomas.:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Grew said:

I see Dunfermline beat Partick 4-1 tonight with 3 of our ex-players in their line-up - Stephen Lawless, Liam Polworth & Don Thomas.:lol:

I watched Dunfermline last week and they looked neat and tidy and also looked to have purpose in their build up.
They'd probably take 4 off us as well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El Grew said:

I see Dunfermline beat Partick 4-1 tonight with 3 of our ex-players in their line-up - Stephen Lawless, Liam Polworth & Don Thomas.:lol:

Pretty much those players level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed that game last night. Dunfermline were very good in the first half in particular, playing at a high tempo with some lovely patterns of play. Dom Thomas was excellent and offered an end product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2022 at 6:39 PM, Big Stall said:

Watt going to United can argue the case till the cows come home. Losing Lamie and Oharra to pisher teams than us does suggest not all the players are onboard with GA.

Fair enough if these guys were fringe men but aside from Kelly & VanVeen, they are in our ever rotating starting 11 as much as anyone else

I think whats worrying is that they are choosing to leave. We are either not offering them decent pay or they don't enjoy being at Fir Park. I mean losing Lamie and OHara is not the end of the world, but I would think that Motherwell would have been keen to keep them on the books, but losing them to a rival is not great. 

I think a few more could go in the summer. 

Things just don't feel right at the club just now which is worrying.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think whats worrying is that they are choosing to leave. We are either not offering them decent pay or they don't enjoy being at Fir Park. I mean losing Lamie and OHara is not the end of the world, but I would think that Motherwell would have been keen to keep them on the books, but losing them to a rival is not great. 
I think a few more could go in the summer. 
Things just don't feel right at the club just now which is worrying.

Ricky left purely for the money on offer - nothing else.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know dundee were meant to have offered a good bit more than us for lamie but I'm guessing we only offered him a modest wage rise while they have giving him probably more than hes worth.i wouldn't be surprised if they offered him such a good deal in the hope that he might try and engineer the move in january as they were clearly desperate for a centre half.im still a bit disappointed he's going as he's went from a liability to as things stand probably our best centre half but he's not worth going overboard with in terms of wages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:


Ricky left purely for the money on offer - nothing else.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given that his Dundee salary does not kick in until the Summer I find it disappointing that with a wee bit of forward financial planning we were not able/prepared to make him an offer that matched what was on the table from Dundee. We have a fair few out of contract in the summer and added to the Watt wage savings we will surely will have funds available.  Lamie has been far and away our best defender this season and his attitude has been commendable. I'm not convinced we will replace Lamie with a similar quality player at any less than we could have offered to convince him to stay.

Like many fans I am not convinced all is well behind the scenes and I suspect Lamie, O'Hara and Watt, jumping ship is not just about the cash on offer elsewhere. I also suspect that several others, and especially the creative players,  will opt to go elsewhere in the hope of being allowed to express themselves on the pitch.  As he is likely still to be in place, I dread to think about who Alexander will bring in to support his eye bleeding approach.

Hands up. I was delighted and excited when Alexander got the job ahead of the likes of Wright and Hughes. I was wrong. I went to my first Motherwell game in the mid 60's and have suffered some dreadful teams in that time. But this current situation is as poor as I can recall....even thinking back to the Malpas, Kampman and Hynd eras. Watching what is currently on offer is simply not enjoyable and as a ST Holder I am even struggling to convince myself to attend home games. Away games are simply no longer worth the effort or pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dennyc said:

" I went to my first Motherwell game in the mid 60's and have suffered some dreadful teams in that time. But this current situation is as poor as I can recall....even thinking back to the Malpas, Kampman and Hynd eras. Watching what is currently on offer is simply not enjoyable and as a ST Holder I am even struggling to convince myself to attend home games. Away games are simply no longer worth the effort or pain."

I must be of a similar vintage as my first game was in 1963, a draw against the now defunct Third Lanark. Having witnessed the three eras you describe, I fear that Alexander's anti-football approach will increase the disillusionment amongst the fans and will make it harder to attract players with any capacity for creativity. I acknowledge how tight the SPL table is in the middle, but there's not a lot of evidence that we're going close the fine gaps that Alexander claims are the reason for our poor run. I think I'll get a renewed ST as a gift from my kids, but it's going to be hard watching more of what's on offer and hearing the same post-match press conference. I'm not one for changing managers or judging new signings before they have a decent run of games, but surely even Grezza must see that he's not made best use of the resources at his disposal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Given that his Dundee salary does not kick in until the Summer I find it disappointing that with a wee bit of forward financial planning we were not able/prepared to make him an offer that matched what was on the table from Dundee. We have a fair few out of contract in the summer and added to the Watt wage savings we will surely will have funds available.  Lamie has been far and away our best defender this season and his attitude has been commendable. I'm not convinced we will replace Lamie with a similar quality player at any less than we could have offered to convince him to stay.

Like many fans I am not convinced all is well behind the scenes and I suspect Lamie, O'Hara and Watt, jumping ship is not just about the cash on offer elsewhere. I also suspect that several others, and especially the creative players,  will opt to go elsewhere in the hope of being allowed to express themselves on the pitch.  As he is likely still to be in place, I dread to think about who Alexander will bring in to support his eye bleeding approach.

Hands up. I was delighted and excited when Alexander got the job ahead of the likes of Wright and Hughes. I was wrong. I went to my first Motherwell game in the mid 60's and have suffered some dreadful teams in that time. But this current situation is as poor as I can recall....even thinking back to the Malpas, Kampman and Hynd eras. Watching what is currently on offer is simply not enjoyable and as a ST Holder I am even struggling to convince myself to attend home games. Away games are simply no longer worth the effort or pain.

I suspect that Lamie, O'Hara and Watt jumping ship IS about the cash on offer elsewhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Losing players that are in and out the team to other teams in the league isn't really anything I'd be worried about.

If we weren't struggling for results (understatement of the year there) no one would be claiming something was rotten at the club because of these moves.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, johnstone said:

I think whats worrying is that they are choosing to leave. We are either not offering them decent pay or they don't enjoy being at Fir Park. I mean losing Lamie and OHara is not the end of the world, but I would think that Motherwell would have been keen to keep them on the books, but losing them to a rival is not great. 

I think a few more could go in the summer. 

Things just don't feel right at the club just now which is worrying.

theres a big difference between decent pay and paying them what they are worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think O'Hara signing a pca is necessarily the issue here.

My concern is if it points to a deeper malaise within the club.

If average players are jumping ship at the first opportunity, we may have a problem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I dont think O'Hara signing a pca is necessarily the issue here.

My concern is if it points to a deeper malaise within the club.

If average players are jumping ship at the first opportunity, we may have a problem.

Problem? Some would say these average players should be chased.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Onthefringes said:

Problem? Some would say these average players should be chased.

We play in a league full of average players. 

Right now our average players havent won in 11 games, including home games v Ross County and Dundee.

Our problem isnt our average players. Its how they are being deployed. 

The fact that rumours abound about some of our better average players being benched for speaking truth to the manager would indicate there is indeed a problem.

Of course you may know more, would be generally interested to hear your thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really not bothered about the players we’re losing, I don’t think it’s anything more than better offers and not being offered a new contract. I don’t think for a moment it’s got anything to do with there being a huge problem at the club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dennyc said:

Given that his Dundee salary does not kick in until the Summer I find it disappointing that with a wee bit of forward financial planning we were not able/prepared to make him an offer that matched what was on the table from Dundee.

The club will have put a value on Lamie for example £1,900 PW (a number out of my head) - how much they think he's worth. Dundee came along and blew us out of the water by all accounts, offering him say £2,800 PW (again a number out of my head). Its quite likely that the club has said that, given he's not in the "must retain at all costs" category, if Dundee want to offer him silly money thats up to them.  Dundee have a habit of paying unsustainable wages. I certainly don't think he should be in the top earner bracket.  Thats my take on it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We play in a league full of average players. 

Right now our average players havent won in 11 games, including home games v Ross County and Dundee.

Our problem isnt our average players. Its how they are being deployed. 

The fact that rumours abound about some of our better average players being benched for speaking truth to the manager would indicate there is indeed a problem.

Of course you may know more, would be generally interested to hear your thoughts.

Well aware of current run of form. However our average players are being deployed is for another debate.

Rumours abound? Not one has been credible and certainly not substantive. Players being omitted and voicing displeasure is phenomena? Criticising Alexander would see offenders banished - how do all these players make matchday squads? I’d discount a few theories on here for sure.

Wait till Kelly goes in the summer, incandescent with rage will be the order of the day on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Well aware of current run of form. However our average players are being deployed is for another debate.

Rumours abound? Not one has been credible and certainly not substantive. Players being omitted and voicing displeasure is phenomena? Criticising Alexander would see offenders banished - how do all these players make matchday squads? I’d discount a few theories on here for sure.

Wait till Kelly goes in the summer, incandescent with rage will be the order of the day on here.

And rightly so. He is one of the few players we have who has genuine quality.  Given our track record for signing average players I would not be confident of us bringing in an adequate replacement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2022 at 10:18 AM, I'll*no*be*back said:

Mugabi and SOD must like him. Maybe just maybe we are happy to let OHara and Lammie go.  Lammie I have reservations about because I think hes better than Johansen and OJala.

Brian Martin is better than Johansen and he's 59 now. Ojala is clearly unfit, I suspect not unusually for him. He looks a quality injury prone player...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×