Motherwell v Ross County 02/03/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Taking a look at the run in to the split fixtures.

If you take the current league position of each club (1 Celtic, 12 Dundee etc) and add them up we have the largest (easiest?) total  by a bit of a distance.

MOTHERWELL    48
HIBERNIAN    40
DUNDEE UTD    34
ST MIRREN    34*
ABERDEEN        31
ROSS COUNTY    27

LIVINGSTON    26

Doesn't take into consideration home or away or previous results or current form so it's a very general guide but it looks like the current Top 6 have an advantage in maintaining their current positions.  Of course you don't just get given points you have to win them but it's a reason to be positive.

*St Mirren have an extra game, I only included their first 5 fixtures for their total.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Taking a look at the run in to the split fixtures.

If you take the current league position of each club (1 Celtic, 12 Dundee etc) and add them up we have the largest (easiest?) total  by a bit of a distance.

MOTHERWELL    48
HIBERNIAN    40
DUNDEE UTD    34
ST MIRREN    34*
ABERDEEN        31
LIVINGSTON    28
ROSS COUNTY    27

Doesn't take into consideration home or away or previous results or current form so it's a very general guide but it looks like the current Top 6 have an advantage in maintaining their current positions.  Of course you don't just get given points you have to win them but it's a reason to be positive.

*St Mirren have an extra game, I only included their first 5 fixtures for their total.

I havent a clue what the above means LOL

"If you take the current league position of each club (1 Celtic, 12 Dundee etc) and add them up" ........add what up

We have put in three strong performances in a row now so hopefully we can get three points and get our league campaign back on track. 

I don't expect to see KVV so Roberts through the middle with Woolery wide and probably Shields on the left. O'Hara and Donnelly are nailed on so it's between Goss and Shaw for the other midfield spot. At the back I think it will be SOD Sol Ojala Carroll. White should be the type of opponent Ojala handles well. Tough on Bevis and Lamie but it's a squad game and Bevis struggled against Charles-Cook. 

The big takeaway from Sunday should be if plan A isn't working get the subs made early and give someone else a chance. 

Kelly

S'OD (I've been critical of him but he did well at Ibrox)

Mugabi

Lamie

Carroll

O'Hara

Donnelly

Shaw

Woolery

Roberts

Efford

How I think we'll line up. Wouldn't be averse to Amaluzor starting ahead of Efford.

3-1 to us with Woolery being utterly unplayable.

Must win game if we have top 6 aspirations. Will be tough as Ross County have proved in recent weeks they are no mugs and always give us a tough game.  Will all be down to team selection and attitude on the night. Get both those things right and we should just about have enough quality to get us over the line.

16 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I havent a clue what the above means LOL

"If you take the current league position of each club (1 Celtic, 12 Dundee etc) and add them up" ........add what up

Our fixtures are

Ross County (10th), Dundee (12th), St Johnstone (11th), St. Mirren (8th), Livingston (7th).  So you add up the league positions you get, in our case 48.  

Livington have Dundee Utd (5th), Celtic (1st), Hearts (3rd),  St Johnstone (11th), Motherwell (6th).  So you add them up and you get 26.

The higher the total you have the more teams further down the league you are playing in the run in.  The lower the total the more teams further up the league you are playing.

It's  simplistic and doesn't take a bunch of factors into consideration but it's just a quick way of comparing each teams run in.  We seem to have the easiest one, at least at this point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Our fixtures are

Ross County (10th), Dundee (12th), St Johnstone (11th), St. Mirren (8th), Livingston (7th).  So you add up the league positions you get, in our case 48.  

Livington have Dundee Utd (5th), Celtic (1st), Hearts (3rd),  St Johnstone (11th), Motherwell (6th).  So you add them up and you get 26.

The higher the total you have the more teams further down the league you are playing in the run in.  The lower the total the more teams further up the league you are playing.

It's  simplistic and doesn't take a bunch of factors into consideration but it's just a quick way of comparing each teams run in.  We seem to have the easiest one, at least at this point.

I understand now LOL

Not buying this easy run in thing, the teams battling in the bottom 6 have a big incentive to get wins. I'd say Ross County is a hard match, they are on the rise. For Dundee and St J they will look at our game as must wins and will throw the kitchen sink at it.  Hope by the time we play St Mirren the new manager bounce has not kicked it and that just leaves Livingston away on their plastic pitch.

Not saying we cant win these games but i don't think they will be as easy as some on here think. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, steelboy said:

The big takeaway from Sunday should be if plan A isn't working get the subs made early and give someone else a chance. 

The big take away from Sunday is, that if a team has played on the Thursday and is gassed after 40 minutes bring on pace. I sometimes wonder if you just happen to like our colours or fitba is your 3rd sport.

• Like 1

Ross County will present a very different challenge to Rangers on Sunday. We'll have more possession and they'll defend more. So, we 'll have to field a more attacking line up. Fast wingers suited to the counter attack will be of less use to us unless we take a goal or 2 goal lead and draw County out. I'd expect Goss to come back in. If Van Veen isn't fit??? 

11 hours ago, couttsy said:

I’d go with 4-3-3 - Kelly, Mugabi, Sol, Lamie, Carroll, Ohara, Donnelly, Shaw, Woolery, KVV, Roberts. 

I think ODonnell had a good game on Sunday and Mugabi had a nightmare against Charles Cook the last time against Ross County I would like to see ODonnell at right back. I agree with the rest of the team though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

Almost 2 years to the day since we played County on a midweek at FP in our last home game before the pandemic. A repeat of that scoreline would do nicely, a 4-1 win (that was capped off with Tony Watt's first goal iirc).  

Be warned - these highlights make Hylton & Polworth actually look quite good.

They’ve been playing well recently and they are pretty adept at sitting in away from home and hitting on the break. So I think we need to ensure that if and when we get chances we score with them as our  defence always looks as though it will lose goals.

10 minutes ago, El Grew said:

They’ve been playing well recently and they are pretty adept at sitting in away from home and hitting on the break. So I think we need to ensure that if and when we get chances we score with them as our  defence always looks as though it will lose goals.

We really need an out and out striker for this kind of game.