Motherwell v Ross County 02/03/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Alexander said it himself after the game - it's not the performance that concerns him, it's the result. That's clearly been the case since he arrived, so no one should expect it to change for the duration of his stay. The long term negative effects of crowds being asked to watch shite like that, week in/week out, have to become an issue sooner or later. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Alexander said it himself after the game - it's not the performance that concerns him, it's the result. That's clearly been the case since he arrived, so no one should expect it to change for the duration of his stay. The long term negative effect of crowds being asked to watch shite like that, week in/week out, have to become an issue sooner or later. 

How can he come away with that performance tonight doesn't concern him.the performance wasn't anywhere near good enough hence why we lost the game,were simply not playing well enough to be winning games even on a semi regular basis right now.we couldn't string two passes together all game,showed no real threat in front of goal and he isn't concerned,worrying stuff that from the manager.on alexander his constant tinkering with the team has to stop but it wont,there's no partnerships being built up and players that look comfortable playing with the guy beside them.i think he's done a decent enough job and I'm not saying we should be getting rid of him but the way he is setting us up right now is putting us on the back foot before the first whistle.we should have been buzzing after the comeback on sunday but we looked like a team that couldn't be arsed there tonight,there's serious issues when we can't even string two passes together and show some effort and movement off the ball.

36 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Alexander said it himself after the game - it's not the performance that concerns him, it's the result. That's clearly been the case since he arrived, so no one should expect it to change for the duration of his stay. The long term negative effect of crowds being asked to watch shite like that, week in/week out, have to become an issue sooner or later. 

How can he come away with that performance tonight doesn't concern him.the performance wasn't anywhere near good enough hence why we lost the game,were simply not playing well enough to be winning games even on a semi regular basis right now.we couldn't string two passes together all game,showed no real threat in front of goal and he isn't concerned,worrying stuff that from the manager.on alexander his constant tinkering with the team has to stop but it wont,there's no partnerships being built up and players that look comfortable playing with the guy beside them.i think he's done a decent enough job and I'm not saying we should be getting rid of him but the way he is setting us up right now is putting us on the back foot before the first whistle.we should have been buzzing after the comeback on sunday but we looked like a team that couldn't be arsed there tonight,there's serious issues when we can't even string two passes together and show some effort and movement off the ball.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We need to improve the quality of the squad and that's what I'll be looking for the manager to do in the close season but when you see contracts being handed out to players already you begin to wonder.

And just how is he going to “improve the quality of the squad”??

There is no f*ecking money at the club to buy and pay for better quality players.

The club is run on a very low budget and the manager, no matter who that may be, has to operate within very narrow parameters when it comes to recruiting players.  Hence we take players on loan deals, from Irish football and trawl the lowest depths of English non-league football for players, in the hope that we might just unearth another Louis Moult.

However the yield from this policy is diminishing all the time and the quality of player being brought into the club whether we like it or not is falling and will continue to do so. 

I’m pretty certain Alexander wanted to keep Tony Watt and his remarks about not needing another striker were just bravado, as witnessed by his attempt to get Zak Rudden from Partick before the end of the transfer window.   I also think he appreciates the situation the club is in all too well.  Maybe if he hadn’t been unemployed when our managerial vacancy came up, he wouldn’t have considered the job.

I’ve been going to Fir Park for many years now and I’ve always thought some of the poorest footballers that I ever saw at the club, were in the middle to late 1960s, under Bobby Howitt but I have to admit, that with a few exceptions, the current squad contains far too many footballers that would struggle to get into that squad.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, El Grew said:

And just how is he going to “improve the quality of the squad”??

There is no f*ecking money at the club to buy and pay for better quality players.

The club is run on a very low budget and the manager, no matter who that may be, has to operate within very narrow parameters when it comes to recruiting players.  Hence we take players on loan deals, from Irish football and trawl the lowest depths of English non-league football for players, in the hope that we might just unearth another Louis Moult.

However the yield from this policy is diminishing all the time and the quality of player being brought into the club whether we like it or not is falling and will continue to do so. 

I’m pretty certain Alexander wanted to keep Tony Watt and his remarks about not needing another striker were just bravado, as witnessed by his attempt to get Zak Rudden from Partick before the end of the transfer window.   I also think he appreciates the situation the club is in all too well.  Maybe if he hadn’t been unemployed when our managerial vacancy came up, he wouldn’t have considered the job.

I’ve been going to Fir Park for many years now and I’ve always thought some of the poorest footballers that I ever saw at the club, were in the middle to late 1960s, under Bobby Howitt but I have to admit, that with a few exceptions, the current squad contains far too many footballers that would struggle to get into that squad.

Part of the managers remit is to improve the squad,were also paying recruitment people for that specific job.i get the lower the budget the manager has to work with the options become less limited but I don't believe for a second there isn't better options out there than some of the players we currently have.our full back options are a joke,there defensively poor,offer nothing in attack,take odonnell for example how many times does he put in a cross only to know get the ball off the ground and beat the first man,there's guys in our squad that are lucky to be with us and earning wages that most of us would love to be making.as a club we always seem to waste wages by offering players that should be moved on a new deal,mcginley for instance has done nothing of note that's deserving of a new contract,I wouldn't be surprised grimshaw is next up.theres key areas in the team that have to be improved on over the summer,alexander has to go and make it happen.

8 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Entertainment and quality of play has been horrible under GA. 

easy to forgive and ignore when we’re winning  as an ugly win is still a win.

far tougher to accept when we lose . 

The jury for me on GA has always been out, however if GA is inclined to fuck off I'll happily wave him goodbye. Thats 16/17 months of the most mind numbing turgid anti football you could ever watch. This is like watching Maurice Malpas's Motherwell efforts. No wonder Salford punted him. Its the worst football I've watched since Malpas. Solholm is a fucking bomb scare, Jake Carroll's positional sense is honking , Donnelly couldn't find A Motherwell player with a fucking SatNav. What  the fuck KVV is bringing to the team christ only knows. . 

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Some perspective is required here, we have been feckin brutal since Christmas,  very rarely playing the same team two weeks in a row, struggling to score goals etc but as it stands we are still only 2 points away from a European spot and due to play a Hibs team who have been equally shite as well for a place in the Scottish cup semi finals ffs

There are 12 points on offer before the split so we still have a very good chance to secure a top 6 place, a Euro spot, a cup semi final place and another season in the premiership so for me that would be a very good return for the season. You never get judged on where you start , it's the finish that matters.

your perspective is right to a degree but we don't have a very good chance of a top six place, we need form for that to happen , we need a team that's not so fuckin devoid of ideas and ability, we need a team that has another tactic other than pointless hoofball... we need to be able to win games then we might stand a very good chance. We are no nearer winning  a game than we were 9 weeks ago. One £ gets you £100 that McGhee will, at worst, get a point at FP on Saturday.

A poor performance and another poor result. The question of how we arrest this slump in form has been asked, and , so far, we are not coming up with any answers. I think it is unlikely that we will go down, but it is not an impossibility. It will make all those who claimed all was going smoothly when we were sitting in 4th, look a little presumptive if we finish the season relying on  the act that both Dundee and St Johnstone are even worse than us. I appreciate that the job of managing a club like ours is no easy feat, but GA will need to show some improvement or questions will have to be asked regarding his future at the end of the season. I was happy enough when he signed a contract extension. Again, that now looks like we might have been getting ahead of ourselves.

8 hours ago, Yodo said:

Every midfield player we have is poor we have no playmaker and nobody to break up the play . Up front we are even worse no goalscorer we can rely on and no skill to create a chance . The captain needs to give up the captaincy as he can’t lead by example and he is really struggling as for the manager some of the players he has signed wouldn’t get a game with a good junior side . We won’t go down but do we trust the manager to improve the team for next season 

Can we tempt Robinson away from St Mirren ?

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, mfc said:

Part of the managers remit is to improve the squad,were also paying recruitment people for that specific job.i get the lower the budget the manager has to work with the options become less limited but I don't believe for a second there isn't better options out there than some of the players we currently have.our full back options are a joke,there defensively poor,offer nothing in attack,take odonnell for example how many times does he put in a cross only to know get the ball off the ground and beat the first man,there's guys in our squad that are lucky to be with us and earning wages that most of us would love to be making.as a club we always seem to waste wages by offering players that should be moved on a new deal,mcginley for instance has done nothing of note that's deserving of a new contract,I wouldn't be surprised grimshaw is next up.theres key areas in the team that have to be improved on over the summer,alexander has to go and make it happen.

My question would be if there are better options why are we not signing them ? This is exactly the same argument  that  we had  Robinson and i’v no doubt we will have with the next manager when Alexander is punted. I argued then that the playing budget was at a level that we were never going to sign quality players. We can’t even compete with lower league English clubs and the likes of Dundee.  How many players would Alexander like to sign that we can’t afford ? I’m pretty certain we lose out on the majority we approach. It’s simple mathematics.  When you look at our crowds we don’t get enough people through the turnstiles and as such we either do a Dundee and end up going into administration or we carry on cutting our cloth. And before anyone says other clubs are doing it better, they are not. The vast majority of clubs in this league are scrabbling around for the same level of player and the football is just as bad. Yes you get the odd exemption for a limited length of time but eventually everyone struggles. It’s a far bigger issue than the manager.

3 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

My question would be if there are better options why are we not signing them ? This is exactly the same argument  that  we had  Robinson and i’v no doubt we will have with the next manager when Alexander is punted. I argued then that the playing budget was at a level that we were never going to sign quality players. We can’t even compete with lower league English clubs and the likes of Dundee.  

Yorky - point well made about budget.   

My issue with GA is his attitude /no regrets about zero football,  when we were winning and 4th it was easier to  accept albeit still hard to watch or listen to him go on. 

GA has zero interest in the style of play, he doesn't care , as long as we get 3 points.  (his words) 

Will be interesting to see if GA gets us top 6 with his approach, if he does fair enough..  Pretty much any decent mgr will have us +9th in the league, with occasional hot runs of top 6.  I don't believe we have to approach this with a total lack of entertainment/style of play.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

My issue with GA is his attitude /no regrets about zero football,  when we were winning and 4th it was easier to  accept albeit still hard to watch or listen to him go on. 

GA has zero interest in the style of play, he doesn't care , as long as we get 3 points.  (his words)

And the fact we're handing longer contracts out to utter dross shows he has no ambition to improve the quality of our play. That's depressing enough, but when you look at the teams around us...

• Like 1

Think we are very lucky that we have managed to have amassed the amount of points we have with our shit fest style of football. Definitely relegation form at the moment, team lacking energy, effort and skill.

Needs a massive clear out of current squad, don’t know if GA has the ability to do this, if not think next season will be extremely grim.

Last night was brutal but as others have said, it's absolutely no different to the shite we've watched for the vast majority of the season. 

I genuinely have no idea what our intention is tactically other than pump high balls to the front three and feed off second balls. Our midfield however move as a line rather than one dropping and two pushing or vice versa, which means we are either miles away from the front three who become quickly isolated and spread so far apart that they have no chance (especially when they have the talent level of Shields) or they get caught goal side constantly; take the floor Liam Donnelly and Liam Goss. 

We are absolute dug meat. A relatively expensive squad which is packed full of shite. Our best midfielder is warming the bench and we've handed out long term deals to players like Mcginley who is worse than Carroll (who in himself is a liability). 

We had one quality forward in Watt that left without an investment to replace him and if Efford was that attempt then the Scout should be getting his jotters. 

Grim stuff which could quickly turn into a relegation scrap. 

ps. could someone tell O'Donnnell to stop smashing knee height balls into the centre forwards from the touchline. There is literally nothing good which has or will ever come of that.

Apologies if this has already been covered. 

I agree the foul for the penalty was outside the box. But what is Carroll doing grabbing him anyway? Why not just go for the ball? 

More interestingly do we have a young LB at the club? There’s got to be another option in the reserves? 

Budget not the issue as we have spent more than usual,  even paying transfer fees. Its the quality of player of which GA and before him Robinson signed that has left us in this position.  Look at Livingston, they can't be on a better budget than us but seem to find the correct players and also good Scottish talent like Anderson and Forrest.

I was happy when GA got the job but there is a stubbornness and arrogance that I don't like and he really insults the fans intelligence with his post match interviews.  There needs to be a reaction against Dundee.  COYW

35 minutes ago, 2plus8 said:

I agree the foul for the penalty was outside the box. But what is Carroll doing grabbing him anyway? Why not just go for the ball? 

More interestingly do we have a young LB at the club? There’s got to be another option in the reserves? 

he grabbed cos he couldn't be bothered matching his run , just like he couldn't be arsed shutting down second rangers goal on Sunday, the list goes on.

As you say , surely there are young guys at the club who will put a tackle in and get forward to out a cross  in..odonnel and the two left backs just don't have it.

• Thanks 1

Worst game I've been to in recent memory. 

Carroll was particularly poor last night, his distribution was really bad, his challenges rash, and he constantly turns his back on crosses. He is certainly no better than McGinley, especially from a defensive standpoint. O'Donnell also had a shocker, bad distribution and a lot of terrible touches. Thinking back a few seasons, even though the crowd had it in for him, Josh Law was a better fullback than any of our current offerings, and that was with a defense shy Ainsworth playing in front of him. 

Midfield is a mess, and up top I have no idea what Shields offers aside from being fast. Additionally, when KVV is off it, he is so so bad. Only good performance last night was from Woolery, seemed to be playing with more confidence so hopefully he can keep that up. I'm still not sure why Slattery has been left out of the team, he is by no means the silver bullet, but we win more games with him playing. 

I like Alexander, but the football is really hard work. Is he better staying in the stand? Last two games he's changed the team considerably at half time and it's made a difference, I was really surprised to see no changes at HT last night. However, the constant chopping and changing leads me to believe that he generally has no idea what to do a lot of the time. 

Very disappointed but not surprised at last night's result. The seeds of our defeat were sown months ago ie the failure to sign another striker. I just don't get that. Too many wingers and no-one for them to cross to. We are a counterattacking team and Ross County scoring first and parking their bus was always going to present us with massive problems. We are not designed to break teams down. Last night we played very pedestrian one paced football through the middle and that didn't work. We also fired high balls up to a lone striker and wingers who aren't that great in the air and that didn't work either - but then again we knew that before kick off. 

Kelly was miskicking all night - carrying an injury maybe? Two full backs were dreadful and the central defence not great but had no cover in front of them. Midfield too slow and not competitive enough. Donnelly and O'Hara just won't do. Complete lack of dig up front. We had far more shots at goal than County did but only managed 3 on target, the same as they did. Our first effort on target was on 49 minutes! Woolery worked hard, tried 100% and looked good but didn't actually do very much.

Due to their early goal, which was a penalty, they sat back and controlled the game. We had 2 or 3  good chances but fluffed them all. Credit to Ross County for determined defending. Had they needed to attack more they probably could have done successfully.

43 minutes ago, 2plus8 said:

Not a LB but watched a young RB playing for QOS the other night bombing up and down the wing for the full 90mins and delivering decent balls into the box also doing what he was supposed to do in defence ……… yip our very own Max Johnson.

For what it’s worth Coner Shields scored goals for fun in the Championship last season playing up front alongside a big centre forward not stuck out on the wing trying to control balls fired at him above his head 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Were shite at keeping the ball but yet our best midfielder on the ball is slattery and yet he can't get a game.theres absolutely zero drive or forward thinking from midfield but yet we see cornelius dropped yet again after having a good game at Ibrox.theres some poor players on show but what chance do some of them stand when they don't know who will be playing beside them from game to game.alexander has fucked our league campaign with the constant messing about with the starting 11.