Motherwell v Ross County 02/03/2022

SteelmaninOZ

13 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Not a LB but watched a young RB playing for QOS the other night bombing up and down the wing for the full 90mins and delivering decent balls into the box also doing what he was supposed to do in defence ……… yip our very own Max Johnson.

For what it’s worth Coner Shields scored goals for fun in the Championship last season playing up front alongside a big centre forward not stuck out on the wing trying to control balls fired at him above his head 

Agree about Max Johnston. As for Conor Shields, I'm not convinced of him but, as you say, he's not being played in the correct way. He needs to play off a main striker's shoulder.

Another classic GA post match interview. 'It's not about the performance ', actually Graham it is for the fans that pay to come and watch,  especially for those paying a lot to go to away games.  Stop insulting the fans intelligence and get this sorted or let someone else take charge. In any club you need to have a manager that the fans can take to and build up a good relationship with but he just seems self centred and stubborn to realise this.  Its not too late and a wee mini revival and a cup win v hibs can lift everyone's spirits again, COYW

• Like 3

That was utter torture to watch last night, two teams that would get football stopped. The Beaton penalty call was atrocious, everyone in the ground apart from the officials could see it was well out the box, I wonder if refs check things like that at half time as Beaton seemed to wise up to their diving antics, with that being said, Paton who was on a yellow managed to escape a further booking with two dives, a foul on Donnelly and kicking the ball away. 

The game reminded me somewhat of that Inverness cup tie in the early 00s where they scored an early wonder goal but just sat back and anytime the ball went near the box it was just blootered anywhere but here. It was hard watching all of those misplaced passes, we were culpable for our own downfall last night, County were equally as brutal but managed to stifle any dangerous attack we had outside the of the box, its really frustrating to think that they scored with their only real effort on target which was gifted to them. I can't believe that Charles-Cook is the leagues top scorer, he was extremely poor, keech first touch & wayward passing etc, he would have slotted into our 11 nicely last night tbh.

Nice to see the improvement of Woolery in recent time def the MOTM from our side, however he should have squared his chance to Efford.

No league wins in 9 games, to think we would be sitting pretty in 4th with just a handful of wins in that period. The leagues been weird since the Winter return, while certain teams in the top six struggled for wins a few below who were miles behind have enjoyed a fruitful period and are now right in the mix for a top six slot.

Dundee managed by Mark McGhee is next up on Saturday at home, three points would be most welcome.

20 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Another classic GA post match interview. 'It's not about the performance ', actually Graham it is for the fans that pay to come and watch,  especially for those paying a lot to go to away games.  Stop insulting the fans intelligence and get this sorted or let someone else take charge. In any club you need to have a manager that the fans can take to and build up a good relationship with but he just seems self centred and stubborn to realise this.  Its not too late and a wee mini revival and a cup win v hibs can lift everyone's spirits again, COYW

I can get to a point where performances don't matter,in games like last night for example,we all knew it was never going to be a classic but do you think ross county will be bothered that they played shit and still won.were brutal to watch right now,there's not one positive to take from our play and fans will only accept that for so long especially when were shelling out good money to be bored out were tits every game and watch so called professionals that can't even find a team mate with a pass.alexander can go on about performances not mattering but see when he's actually setting us up to perform like we are,long punts all game and no goal threat then he seriously needs to have a look at what he's doing.

• Like 1

My wee lad is getting into football, four& a half years old, gets along to Mill United every Saturday for the last year or so. Hes started asking to come to the games.  As much as im looking forward to getting him into the East Stand lifestyle, im trying to hold out till we get some kind of form. Take him along for his first game watching that crap could put him off for life........

As much as I dislike him, the first thing Jim Goodwin said in his post match interview last night was, there's no point in trying to pull the wool over the fans eyes, that was nowhere near good enough. I know he's trying to keep on their good side for now, and I know they have delusions of grandeur, but a bit of honesty goes a long way.

Our problem is, Alexander IS being honest too. If their keeper had thrown the ball into his own net at the death, or that penalty hadn't been given, he wouldn't have had any worries about how we'd played. It's survival football, for us and him, nothing more. Stick or twist?

Would be interesting to see if GA has played the same team 2 games in a row.

The defence is ALWAYS different and that for me is one of the main reasons for losing games as there is no consistancy in the back 4.

How Slattery isn't getting a game every week is very strange as I think he is naturally our best midfielder but its all about opinions.

And to top it off, how NM got a contract extension is so far beyond me its crazy, no harm to the lad but at times he even looks surprised if he controls the ball.

I am also not convinced GA watches the same matches as the fans as his post match interviews are baffling at times, the football is a horror show at times and as a non season ticket holder (due to work commitments) who gets to the games when I can, I sometimes find it hard to  be arsed given I know whats going to be on show.............but alas thats being a well fan for the last few seasons.

58 minutes ago, pretzel said:

That was utter torture to watch last night, two teams that would get football stopped. The Beaton penalty call was atrocious, everyone in the ground apart from the officials could see it was well out the box, I wonder if refs check things like that at half time as Beaton seemed to wise up to their diving antics, with that being said, Paton who was on a yellow managed to escape a further booking with two dives, a foul on Donnelly and kicking the ball away. 

The game reminded me somewhat of that Inverness cup tie in the early 00s where they scored an early wonder goal but just sat back and anytime the ball went near the box it was just blootered anywhere but here. It was hard watching all of those misplaced passes, we were culpable for our own downfall last night, County were equally as brutal but managed to stifle any dangerous attack we had outside the of the box, its really frustrating to think that they scored with their only real effort on target which was gifted to them. I can't believe that Charles-Cook is the leagues top scorer, he was extremely poor, keech first touch & wayward passing etc, he would have slotted into our 11 nicely last night tbh.

Nice to see the improvement of Woolery in recent time def the MOTM from our side, however he should have squared his chance to Efford.

No league wins in 9 games, to think we would be sitting pretty in 4th with just a handful of wins in that period. The leagues been weird since the Winter return, while certain teams in the top six struggled for wins a few below who were miles behind have enjoyed a fruitful period and are now right in the mix for a top six slot.

Dundee managed by Mark McGhee is next up on Saturday at home, three points would be most welcome.

We aren't going to agree on penalty but I think the fact he has kept hold of player is why Beaton gave pen, it vouldve gone either way, so our beef should be with Carroll,  not Beaton....why not just run with player...he seems fast, that's probably why he's making a ,Iving as a footballer, can't see what other qualities.

Yep, I have banged on about that but it's these fine lines and making good decisions that can get us points, there's so little between all the teams bar old firm and hearts.

4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its a penalty if a foul begins outside the box but continues into it. Thats the rule.  Certainly the Ross County player made the most of it.

Yeah you're right if the the foul (pulling) starts outside the box and carries into the box its classed as a pen but the guy was going down outside the box defying physics in the process and landed in it as per TV pictures, so it's a nay.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Yeah you're right if the the foul (pulling) starts outside the box and carries into the box its classed as a pen but the guy was going down outside the box defying physics in the process and landed in it as per TV pictures, so it's a nay.

Yeah that was my thoughts as well, pictures I have seen suggest he was out the box. Sadly however Carroll was slow to react and the County player was always going to go down in those circumstances. You're getting tugged back with an arm around your neck but you manage to dive forward lol, it'll never change now but I always find it funny when refs fall for that. Efford was getting pulled back right at the death in the box, I always find that consistency frustrating. Ach well Dundee next, we have already lost to them twice this season, tricky fixture with McGhee at the helm. 

Current team form in our league

Aberdeen 1 win in 11
Dundee 1 win in 13
Dundee Utd 2 wins in 15
Hibs 1 win in 9
Motherwell 1 win in 10
St Johnstone 2 wins in 17
And Robinson's reign at St Mirren is played 2 lost 2 scored 0.

My opinion on the standard of the league has been consistent for years but it is what it is.

I do think though that fans are being a little fickle, giving standing ovations against Aberdeen and Rangers and then literally hours later howling at the team at every touch and screaming at the manager to fuck off.

We are 2 points off 4th in March and could potentially be at a Scottish Cup semi final.

Last night was really poor, but I don't think we are in a run of terrible performances like we were last season.  We have improved, it might be from a very lowly position, and in no way am I saying we are playing magical football, but we have made a step forward on a season by season basis.  

There are lots of things we need to do better in games, there are things we need to do better behind the scenes and in the 'dugout' and we should always endeavour to make those improvements and, if need be, pressure those in charge to maintain momentum in that direction.  That will always be the case.

However just think about where we were last season and have a little bit of patience and a little bit of perspective.  Under Robinson from winter break 19-20 to winter break 20-21 we picked up 26 points.  We have bettered that this season alone by 9 points.  That's not even taking the post winter break matches from last season in to consideration.

My opinion on the manager will adapt depending on circumstances but we need to take a step back.  Some of the hostility towards Alexander is out of order.  A poisonous atmosphere like it was leaning towards last night won't help us and I think we all need to be a little but more accepting and philosophical about where we are right now.  For me, we are still very much in a 'recovery' phase.

Next season I will be looking for improvement across the board but right now I think it's a bit impetuous to demand Top 6 finishes and quality football. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pretzel said:

its a pen cos the ref gave it, I'd expect a motherwell player to do the same if a defender is so daft

10 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Aberdeen 1 win in 11
Dundee 1 win in 13
Dundee Utd 2 wins in 15
Hibs 1 win in 9
Motherwell 1 win in 10

My opinion on the standard of the league has been consistent for years but it is what it is.

I do think though that fans are being a little fickle, giving standing ovations against Aberdeen and Rangers and then literally hours later howling at the team at every touch and screaming at the manager to fuck off.

We are 2 points off 4th in March and could potentially be at a Scottish Cup semi final.

Last night was really poor, but I don't think we are in a run of terrible performances like we were last season.  We have improved, it might be from a very lowly position, and in no way am I saying we are playing magical football, but we have made a step forward on a season by season basis.  

There are lots of things we need to do better in games, there are things we need to do better behind the scenes and in the 'dugout' and we should always endeavour to make those improvements and, if need be, pressure those in charge to maintain momentum in that direction.  That will always be the case.

However just think about where we were last season and have a little bit of patience and a little bit of perspective.  Under Robinson from winter break 19-20 to winter break 20-21 we picked up 26 points.  We have bettered that this season alone by 9 points.  That's not even taking the post winter break matches from last season in to consideration.

My opinion on the manager will adapt depending on circumstances but we need to take a step back.  Some of the hostility towards Alexander is out of order.  A poisonous atmosphere like it was leaning towards last night won't help us and I think we all need to be a little but more accepting and philosophical about where we are right now.  For me, we are still very much in a 'recovery' phase.

Next season I will be looking for improvement across the board but right now I think it's a bit impetuous to demand Top 6 finishes and quality football. 

No question that GA stopped the rot and got us back on a stable footing.  Also quite incredible that we were ever 4th for a sustained period .. 

When I do take a step back I don't really see the long term direction/trajectory, that for me is the issue.  
What type of football we're trying to embed. We're set up to stop other teams, to work our socks off and to press - but then what ?
Who's our best players and why do our better players get dropped for long periods ? (Slattery)
Why renew contracts on players who have proven not be a starting 11 ?

Overall I find it difficult to have warm feelings about the longer term GA plan. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its a penalty if a foul begins outside the box but continues into it. Thats the rule.  Certainly the Ross County player made the most of it.

Spot on Dave the initial minimal contact was well outside the box and as the pictures show the RC player was already on his way down well before he got to the box but diving forward to make sure he made the line. At best it was a Foul outside the box even then it would have been a soft one but never a penalty Beaton was conned big time  and got no help from the linesman, the sooner we get VAR the better.

7 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

its a pen cos the ref gave it, I'd expect a motherwell player to do the same if a defender is so daft

Doesn't make it right though, it was a poor decision, but I do agree Carroll was daft.  We have been on the end of some howling penalty decisions as of late. ironically enough Beaton was on TV earlier on Wednesday talking about VAR.

It's weird to think a positive result on Saturday could see us head back up 4th. With Celtic playing Livi and Rangers vs Aberdeen it would be ideal to try and get the three points.

48 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Aberdeen 1 win in 11
Dundee 1 win in 13
Dundee Utd 2 wins in 15
Hibs 1 win in 9
Motherwell 1 win in 10

What a stat that is and shows how scared teams are to lose. 

Even Hearts who are comfortably 3rd best resort to time-wasting etc when they go in front and makes games poor and frustrating. 

Last night as you say the atmosphere from some certainly in east stand was becoming quite toxic and although result is main reason it can also be heard more when atmosphere is not as gd due to no away fans. The young team tried their best at start and fairplay to them but with no away fans to compete with if you like it becomes quit and people's moans seem louder.

I feel if for instance if that was against say hibs and we had those chances ( goss sitter shields sitter van veen sitter. Woolerygd chance and goalmouth scramble at end) the crowd would have been more supportive but coz its county we just expect to roll them over and usually it doesn't happen.

God forbid if some on here and elsewhere get their wish to move the young team out the bottom corner as fir park would not be a gd atmosphere to watch a football match.  No songs or toing and froing with opposition fans to non stop moaning about our own players unless their winning would drive a lot away.

Doubtless I will cop a boat load of flak for this, but to hell with it.
IMO the following players need to be shown the door at the end of this season as they are simply not good enough:

O’Donnell, McGinley, Carroll, Ojala, Goss, Slattery, Lamie, O’Hara, Grimshaw, White, Amalazour, Shaw, O’Connor, Shields, Stefford, Roberts.

• Like 1

I don't know why folk are posting screen shots of the foul. it's not something a still image can capture.

It was a penalty all day long. I don't know why anyone would think anything different.

SOD, Carroll, Goss, Grimshaw, Amaluzor, Donnelly can all leave tomorrow if they want. Alexander isn't far of that list for a lot of people either. 

• Like 1

Two points I wanna make. Firstly, right at the death one of the RC defenders was all over Efford in the box. The difference was that he didn't go down and the RC boy did.

Secondly, what the actual fuck is going on with Slattery? Somebody must know why he can't get a game. He's far better than all 3 that started last night.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I don't know why folk are posting screen shots of the foul. it's not something a still image can capture.

It was a penalty all day long. I don't know why anyone would think anything different.

SOD, Carroll, Goss, Grimshaw, Amaluzor, Donnelly can all leave tomorrow if they want. Alexander isn't far of that list for a lot of people either. 

Penalty my Arse the initial contact is at least a yard outside the box, as the pictures show and the RC player is already going down, the only reason he gets anywhere near the box is because he dives forward into it, as I have said a shocking decision