Motherwell v Dundee 05/03/2022

SteelmaninOZ

9 minutes ago, Yassin said:

I think for a 4-4-2 to work it might have to be a lopsided McGhee style (I know) one with 3 central midfielders and one winger.

Something like

O'Hara Slattery  Donnelly Woolery

Not for me mate,that lopsided 442 we played in a midweek game at firhill has scarred me for life.we really need to do something with our midfield though,I would like us to to go with 2 strikers and someone to link the play between midfield and up front,most likely roberts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfc said:

Not for me mate,that lopsided 442 we played in a midweek game at firhill has scarred me for life.we really need to do something with our midfield though,I would like us to to go with 2 strikers and someone to link the play between midfield and up front,most likely roberts.

Yeah it probably wouldn't be my preferred option either.  I'm still baffled at how little Slattery and Tierney have played during this run.

3 minutes ago, Yassin said:

Yeah it probably wouldn't be my preferred option either.  I'm still baffled at how little Slattery and Tierney have played during this run.

Slattery is definitely a mystery,he was our best midfielder by a long way earlier in the season then he's hardly got back in after suspension I think it was,considering how poor our midfield are at keeping the ball and making passes,you would think he would be in the team more than he is.

4 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Tierney needs to put in about 3 stone and get up to full fitness, you could see how easily he was brushed off the ball when KVV superbly played him in. 

I legitimately thought he was about 17 until I saw the social media page wishing him a happy 21st the other day

Tierney's said himself he expected this (half) season to be all about building up his fitness and strength with minimal playing time - so no surprise there.

From a coaching point of view, that stuff is easy to implement as long as the player is willing.

20 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

For the folk wanting to play 4-4-2. who plays left and right midfield? 

I doubt our issue lies in formation - more tempo and lacking basic passing.

FWIW Id use a 3-5-2 with both Carrol/SOD being part of the 5.  Appreciate this would flip into 5-3-2 when under pressure but the issue for me goes well beyond formations.