Liam Donnelly

SteelmaninOZ

Not a fan.  Wouldn't be in my team and my preference is for him to be looking for another club next season.

However I do feel a little bit sorry for players when they become targets.

I don't think he's not trying it's just he's not good enough and that's not his fault.  He's been brought and played at a level of football beyond him by others.

I suppose the best thing I can say is I think he's better than Carl McHugh but then considering what I thought about Carl McHugh maybe that's not something to boast about....

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Not a fan.  Wouldn't be in my team and my preference is for him to be looking for another club next season.

However I do feel a little bit sorry for players when they become targets.

I don't think he's not trying it's just he's not good enough and that's not his fault.  He's been brought and played at a level of football beyond him by others.

I suppose the best thing I can say is I think he's better than Carl McHugh but then considering what I thought about Carl McHugh maybe that's not something to boast about....

Agreed and like Carl McHugh he’s a centre half trying to play in midfield 

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I have to agree he is brutal taking O'Hara off and leaving him on was a feckin joke today.

Hopefully Alexander got the message with the booing but I doubt it.  I would have dropped all three midfielders after Wednesday.  Taking Ohara off while keeping Donnelly on however was the ultimate piss take. I’m almost at the stage if I see him n the starting line up at 1.45 I will no bother going. He’s fucking rubbish

I’ve always liked Donnelly despite never been convinced he is a proper midfielder. Today, I actually felt sorry for him when the boos rung out as O’Hara was subbed but it baffles me that he is starting week in week out. Slattery playing as the pivot was integral to to our early season success, I’m equally as baffled as to why he’s been on the fringes since Christmas.

• Like 1

I agree its not Donnellys fault he is being picked. All he can do is try his best. The problem is, that by only playing 3 in midfield we cant afford to have a holding midfielder who cant also build the play.  In a different set up we could maybe get away with him sitting and just breaking up play whilst others do the creative stuff, but his weaknesses are exposed in this system. 

11 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I agree its not Donnellys fault he is being picked. All he can do is try his best. The problem is, that by only playing 3 in midfield we cant afford to have a holding midfielder who cant also build the play.  In a different set up we could maybe get away with him sitting and just breaking up play whilst others do the creative stuff, but his weaknesses are exposed in this system. 

He's not a midfielder but a defender. A square peg in a round hole.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

He's not a midfielder but a defender. A square peg in a round hole.

To be fair, Robbo tried him at centre half and he wasn't that great there either......

What I like about Donnelly is that he is one of very few who will take the ball to feet, look up and try to play a pass. Unfortunately,  there is very little movement in the side, which makes it difficult to pick a pass so, many passes are misplaced.

On the down side, his pace lets him down badly.

As for his interaction with the fans today; well it wasn't very clever.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 5:46 PM, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Hopefully Alexander got the message with the booing but I doubt it.

If the manager allows the reaction of the fans to dictate how he manages the team then we're in bigger trouble than I thought. 

20 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Donnelly's big fault today was putting fingers to lips in front of well fans,  sorry Liam, you have hardly kicked a ball in 2 months and seem to play 90 mins every week. Maybe do your talking on the pitch

Nah, if fans are happy to dish out abuse throughout the game to a player they need to expect to get told to pipe down now and then. Don't dish it if you can't take it and all that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David said:

If the manager allows the reaction of the fans to dictate how he manages the team then we're in bigger trouble than I thought. 

Nah, if fans are happy to dish out abuse throughout the game to a player they need to expect to get told to pipe down now and then. Don't dish it if you can't take it and all that.

Exactly, some give out dogs abuse then get all offended when a player gives a bit back. I’ve got no problem with it.

• Like 2

It's funny to see the sensitive ones take offence to one gesture from a player, after firing dogs abuse at the guy for weeks. It's almost as if people are affected by the actions of others. I'm sure they'll all be telling him to fuck off if he scores the winner in the quarter final.

None of our players are on form, Donnelly included, but some can have a series of stinkers and get nicknames and songs, while others will get hounded from the first minute.

It's a weird stance to take when we support a club that has to find players and rehabilitate/improve them.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I don’t care if donnelly gives me the wanker sign or calls me a dick to my face - the fact he keeps getting picked most certainly annoys me more.  I get that’s Alexander’s doing and the player himself has little say in that. He’s had a poor season and getting worse not better (caveat - he’s not the only one!!)

On 3/5/2022 at 5:46 PM, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Hopefully Alexander got the message with the booing but I doubt it.  I would have dropped all three midfielders after Wednesday.  Taking Ohara off while keeping Donnelly on however was the ultimate piss take. I’m almost at the stage if I see him n the starting line up at 1.45 I will no bother going. He’s fucking rubbish

Good don't go,

• Like 1

Not convinced Donnelly deserves negative attention any more than the next player.  Kelly is the exception but everyone else has strengths and obvious weaknesses. The key is getting them to gel as a team.

Donnelly is a decent holding midfield player who needs a more create midfield player to come short for easy passes.  

Bottom line is we've stopped playing as a team , lost confidence and lost our way.   

We need to be stronger than the sum of all parts, currently we are worse than a sum of all parts. Get back to basics. play simply, move forwards and backwards as a team and give us something to cheer. 

Yep we need to back the players. Donnelly and O'Donnell been taking shocking abuse at times which is hardly going to help them improve,  yet we have megaphone Sol and KVV who seem to escape criticism despite both being poor  also recently. Just my opinion.   I will be there Sunday giving the lads loads of vocal support,   COYW

2 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

I never said I was at that stage (admittedly I may have been a tad melodramatic for effect)

Much to your disappointment, Donnelly or not, I’ll be there supporting the team on Sunday as I’ve done for the last 40 odd years.

Good on you,will be there aswell

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Not convinced Donnelly deserves negative attention any more than the next player.  Kelly is the exception but everyone else has strengths and obvious weaknesses. The key is getting them to gel as a team.

Donnelly is a decent holding midfield player who needs a more create midfield player to come short for easy passes.  

Bottom line is we've stopped playing as a team , lost confidence and lost our way.   

We need to be stronger than the sum of all parts, currently we are worse than a sum of all parts. Get back to basics. play simply, move forwards and backwards as a team and give us something to cheer. 

He’s not. Part of the problem is the understanding? Not disciplined enough, holding midfielders rarely leave the gaps he does.