This season?

Kmcalpin

9 hours ago, ppower said:

Oh and the next time Alexander changes his expression let me know. I swear it is a cardboard cutout standing at the touchline. No animation, no emotion, no passion, no encouragement.

With regard to this one comment.........when did you last sit behind him in the POD Stand? You obviously haven't heard him shouting during a game. Why has he been sent to the stand by the SFA? 

On 3/11/2022 at 5:34 PM, Hope Springs said:

If the OF did manage to have themselves accepted into the English Premiership, who’s to say they would be successful. Plenty of big clubs in bigger cities than Glasgow are languishing in lower divisions. And the fans of the OF are just as likely to dwindle in that scenario, while a competitive, more open and winnable Scottish premier league might attract the younger generations in particular. Motherwell v Hibs for second or top spot and a European place might be a more interesting proposition than Rangers v Hull or Celtic v Middlesbrough for hee haw.

The thing is as far as the OF are concerned its not about a far bigger area than the city of Glasgow indeed other countries are involved too (for better or worse).

On 3/12/2022 at 11:41 AM, steelman1991 said:

Sorry this is "Hans Christian Anderson" territory. These fans who won't travel to England, won't suddenly pitch up at Fir Park, Tynecastle, Rugby Park or wherever.

The "Hans Christian Anderson" territory for me is the chat about the OF joining the EPL.

I'm 48 years old and this topic has been around most, if not all, of my adult life, if not even longer.

It simply isn't going to happen for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The African said:

Where to begin? If we finish tenth, as seems possible, will it be considered par for the course? It is supposedly what we budget for. Unfortunately, the manner in which we have gone about it has left some of our support less than satisfied. It is a results business, but we have not been good to watch all year, just lucky we picked up points when on a decent run. Conversely, pretty football doesn't win you anything, and while we can look back through rose tinted spectacles at the great football sometimes played by the youngsters when we were in administration, history shows we would have been relegated thateason if we had not benefited from Falkirk's stadium shortcomings. A balance is obviously required, and that is one area we are falling down on. I do think that a little slack has to be given to the management regarding the circumstances of the pandemic. We have had to budget for a larger squad than we might otherwise require in order to fulfill fixtures and we have lost out in not being able to bring through young players from our system because of no reserve or age group matches. Things are going to have to change in order to improve matters and we need to decide if Alexander and company are the people to take us forward.

As for people deciding that enough is enough and not renewing season tickets, while it is a shame, it certainly isn't my place to be telling anyone how to spend their hard earned cash. I hope that long term supports can keep the faith and perhaps return to the fold once we get a better team on the park. I have been a Motherwell fan for long enough to know that there are always going to be bumps on the road, but another Pettigrew, McFadden, Turnbull is just around the corner. I can also confirm that, after several years overseas, being a Motherwell fan is an incurable condition, but it is not terminal.

A sensible post. Historically, our average league placing is 8th, which is where we finished last season. GA took over mid season and saved us from relegation, so it was job done. He has now had 2 transfer windows to make his mark on the squad. We are currently sitting in 8th spot, in a very tight league, after the squad has been revamped.  So, we could end up as high as 4th or as low as 12th; both extremes being very unlikely.  As I've said before, 7th place would represent progress, albeit slight, for me. So, the next 8 games will define our season. In my view if we can't finish 7th then questions need to be asked of GA. For example have injuries affected our season significantly? Has the considerable revamp of the squad led to inconsistency and disruption?  What has caused the slump since the start of the year?

Even with out budget we should be capable of achieving some modest success - just look at boring St Johnstone.

I agree about Covid disrupting our Youth programme. 

On 3/15/2022 at 10:00 AM, Kmcalpin said:

A sensible post. Historically, our average league placing is 8th, which is where we finished last season. GA took over mid season and saved us from relegation, so it was job done. He has now had 2 transfer windows to make his mark on the squad. We are currently sitting in 8th spot, in a very tight league, after the squad has been revamped.  So, we could end up as high as 4th or as low as 12th; both extremes being very unlikely.  As I've said before, 7th place would represent progress, albeit slight, for me. So, the next 8 games will define our season. In my view if we can't finish 7th then questions need to be asked of GA. For example have injuries affected our season significantly? Has the considerable revamp of the squad led to inconsistency and disruption?  What has caused the slump since the start of the year?

Even with out budget we should be capable of achieving some modest success - just look at boring St Johnstone.

I agree about Covid disrupting our Youth programme. 

I've said all this before but I think this season is a step forward from last season. There is hardly any chance at all that we'll finish lower than 10th and we have never been in any relegation trouble over the season.

For me last season was avoid relegation, this season was stabilise and next season would be to make a move forward in terms of player quality and style of play.  So far Alexander has met my expectations.  Whether he's capable of making the next stage of the development I do not know but it's very hard to do business during the winter transfer window and he's only had one summer window.

I stand by the manager at this stage but it's down to him to meet next season's expectations.  I will be looking for better next term.

• Thanks 1

I would love to agree with your comments above, but we have a manager who doesn't know what his best team is. Who makes changes to the team virtually every week, so there is no way we can get any type of consistency. It not just one change every week, it's three or four players every game. Not good.

We'd be even angrier if he stuck with the same side every week with the performances and results we've been getting.

As for this season, it's still up in the air. If we get top 6 then we have to say on balance its been a success. If we don't then its a missed opportunity. Any season we make top 6 has got to be viewed as a success given there's 5 sides that have much much higher budgets so we've outperformed everyone comparable to us over the season.

Next 3 games are massive.

I’m grateful that we’re not in any relegation danger but don’t agree that this has to be at the expense of playing any  brand of football.

A team can be both hardworking , organised and still be good moving forward . Offensively we are brutal .

We don’t control any game against any level of opposition .  Our most talented player couldn’t even wait out the full season , that speaks to the direction of travel .

Its ugly with no apology and although we’re in the results business there’s needs to be some entertainment . I’ve not heard anything from the mgr that suggests a brighter future .

Irrespective of how the season ends I’d be happy to part company , thank GA for his excellent results and find a better brand of football .

22 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Irrespective of how the season ends I’d be happy to part company , thank GA for his excellent results and find a better brand of football .

After all this time I am still not convinced by GA its now 30 games into the season and he still can't find the core of a settled team each week, he persists with formations that don't work at times, sticks by players who everyone can see are brutal and for me he has no plan B when things are not going well.

The Tony Watt scenario was very badly handled he should never been allowed to leave in January especially to a rival ( to be fair he has not exactly helped Dundee untd)

So that said I am not calling for him to go just yet, we could still finish with a decent season, but if the constant team changes, brutal style of play etc continues into next season questions will  be asked and Alan Burrows he will be under pressure to back him or sack him.