Cup Motherwell v Hibs 13/03/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Of course we can beat them as they are not on a great run either.

The difference here will be the crowd as id imagine they will have a big support and will be in fine spirits certainly at the start.

If the moaners and whiners in our support continue then in effect all they are doing is helping Hibs as it certainly does not give ours an extra spring in their step.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and quite rightly so but a wee question I would ask is ........ If you were at a game watching your son/daughter/brother etc playing for a team would you bawl and shout at their team mates that they were pish if they werent winning? I would imagine other than total imbeciles the answer would be no as you want to encourage all in your family members team to win.

If we get beat at full time and easily then yes show your displeasure but if you are going to boo our players when game is on and tell them their pish during game then quite frankly stay in your house at the weekend as I think the majority dont want you there.

Sounds harsh but if opposition fans are criticising our players during a game our fans would stand up for our players and that is what needs to be done here.

Ive read on twitter that some arent going to hibs game. Bloody hell if any Motherwell fan is not going to a 1/4 final at home in scottish cup coz the football is shite then I am struggling to find words to describe it plus we have 3 exciting games (maybe not football wise) points wise to decide top 6, then hopefully 5 games to decide europe.

We have now this chance of something special where at start of season after league cup games where I was really thinking  relegation could happen.

We might lose sunday and then not make top 6 but its not happened yet and might not!

• Like 2

There’s shades of 2002/03 about how the Scottish Cup has been our salvation in an otherwise rotten run of league fixtures. We do have a chance and a decent one at that to reach a Semi Final as Hibs themselves are nothing special and are in poor form also, but you just don’t know what Motherwell team will be selected on the day.

If we are to win this then we need to score first and we need to win in 90 minutes/ET  in my opinion. If it goes to penalties we’re done for.

5 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

I wonder if we will be practicing penalties?

I have my doubts as I don’t think they practice shooting, judging on our recent performances. I really wonder what they do at training?

Who would be our five takers should it get that far?

The three obvious names that spring to mind are KvV, O’Hara and Donnelly, though of course the latter two have missed one each in our last two penalty shootout Scottish Cup losses. They are though normally reliable from the spot and van Veen took a good one against Morton so those three would be decent shouts.

10 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

I wonder if we will be practicing penalties?

I have my doubts as I don’t think they practice shooting, judging on our recent performances. I really wonder what they do at training?

They manage to clear the safety net from around the penalty spot during the warm up.  I wouldn’t put my money on Woolery.

11 hours ago, wunderwell said:

Kelly

Mugabi - Johansen - Lamie - McGinley

Slattery - Donnelly - Shaw - Cornelius

Van Veen - Shields

4-4-2 no chance! Also couldn't fit in Woolery but could fit in for shields but didn't think it fit the shape of a striker.

I would have Woolery on left in place of Cornelius, but that apart looks like a decent selection.

• Like 1

I'd be putting Woolery on the  bench for this one. I don't think I can take the "pass it straight to the defender in front of me" for this game.

By all means bring him on of we need to change things up after an hour.

I’d like to see 

Kelly 

Mugabi. Sondra. Lamie

S’OD. Slattery  Ohara  Goss  Carrol 

KVV.    Shields 

There could be a few variations of personnel but with a lack of natural winger I’d be pushing sod and carol up the flanks - they’re both decent in the final 1/3

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Id fancy there are likely to be more away fans than home fans for this one.....

I’m sure that was the case in 2018 when we faced Hearts at this stage in the Cup in a tie that was also on TV. 

If we get a similar result as that day then I certainly won’t care a jot.

• Like 1

Hibs have sold out their allocation - reduced due to our insistence on still keeping a 3rd of the away stand shut. 

I cant really blame anyone who stays away on a Sunday - shite ko time , shite performances all year and we all know to well that the usual will still get their place in the starting 11.

Maybe Alexander will start Slattery , Shaw , Cornelius, Tierney and Mugabi but maybe he will stick with the same failures that have failed us so well for two and a half months.

As Alexander stated himself many times previously it’s a two way street with the fans so how about the team and the manager give us something to get behind - a committed challenge , a forward pass, a pass on the ground, a player running at an opponent with purpose and maybe even an attempt at goal or leaving a player up front when we defend a corner, a midfield  3 that make a tackle and don’t chase shadows from ko- that would all be a positive start.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

TV to blame, in part. I and a few others would have been there onSaturday, but can't make Sunday. Poor form too is a factor. 

Controversial opinion, but poor form should never ever be a factor in going to watch your team.

Roast me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

TV to blame, in part. I and a few others would have been there onSaturday, but can't make Sunday. Poor form too is a factor. 

Agree with some of that but a lot of our fans are blaming this that and next thing for not going when I feel we need to take some of blame ourselves.

Imagine if last 2 games were your 1st games at fir park?

Was it enjoyable ?

We got beat 1-0 and drew 1-1 so really tight games and other than young team cheering us on creating atmosphere the reaction of some of the crowd made it not a happy experience. 

Take responsibility for your actions as if you are moaning all game any new fans will I'd think not want to come back and it becomes contagious. 

Poor form a factor is always going to be a case for us as we are generally not very good if wer being honest and that's experience of nearly 40 years saying that going to fir park.

Hibs poor form is similar to us but it doesn't look like it's stopping them.