Cup Motherwell v Hibs 13/03/2022

SteelmaninOZ

9 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Controversial opinion, but poor form should never ever be a factor in going to watch your team.

Roast me.

You would never be at Fir Park over the years if poor form was a factor in your going or not. However if we win all the stay away fans and day trippers will be there in their thousands at Hampden it the Motherwell way.

Personally I think we will pump Hibs on Sunday and set us up for a semi final, a top 6 finish and a shot at Europe I will be there as usual.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Just got email from club saying almost 5000 home tickets sold,  pleasantly surprised 

Giving the run were on and the game being on the tele,if we could get up and over 5000 by kick off that would be good going.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

As season ticket holders had to pay for theirs, it would appear that the total is 5000,plus Hibs allocation, should be a good crowd, good atmosphere and a HOME WIN!!!!!!!!!. 

Surprised to hear that. Doesn't look like many are sold going by the ticket website!

Got the big game feeling. This match will make or break the rest of the season. Either it will launch is forward with a bit of excitement ie Cup football continuing and a platform to hopefully take our remaining games before the split. Surely to God this awful form can't continue for ever...

If we loose...well this will be a cracking run in to the end of the season.

1 hour ago, StirlingDosser said:

Either it will launch is forward with a bit of excitement ie Cup football continuing and a platform to hopefully take our remaining games before the split. Surely to God this awful form can't continue for ever...

Well, it did after the Cup wins that got us this far...

Although not playing well in our last 2 league games we have dominated in possession and shots.  everyone knows the only stat that counts is goals. Also everyone knows we need to turn those favorable stats into goals and stop gift wrapping goals for the opposition.  I think it’s probably easier to cut out gifting the goals so I think our biggest issue will be, can we actually score a few. COYW!!

• Like 1

This is only the 3rd time we’ve had a home draw against Hibs in the Cup. The 1st was the 2nd round in 1921 when we won 3-2. The 2nd was the quarter-final is f 6th March 1976. Details below:

Motherwell 2 V Hibs 2

Scorers:

Motherwell: Pettigrew, Marinello

Hibs: Spalding, Duncan

Crowd: 18,000

Team: Rennie, W. Watson, Wark R. Watson, McVie, McLaren, Gardner, Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson, Marinello.

Replay 10 March 1976

Hibs 1 V Motherwell 1

Scorers:

Hibs: Stanton

Motherwell: Graham

Crowd: 26,000

Team: Rennie, W. Watson, Wark, R. Watson, McVie, McLaren, Gardner, Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson, Marinello.

Replay 15 March 1976 Ibrox

Motherwell 2 V Hibs 1

Scorers:

Hibs: Harper

Motherwell: Taylor, Marinello

Team: Rennie, W. Watson. Wark, R. Watson, McVie, McLaren, Gardner, Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson, Taylor.

Crowd 16,000

20 minutes ago, El Grew said:

This is only the 3rd time we’ve had a home draw against Hibs in the Cup. The 1st was the 2nd round in 1921 when we won 3-2. The 2nd was the quarter-final is f 6th March 1976. Details below:

Motherwell 2 V Hibs 2

Scorers:

Team: Rennie, W. Watson, Wark R. Watson, McVie, McLaren, Gardner, Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson, Marinello.

Replay 10 March 1976

Hibs 1 V Motherwell 1

Scorers:

Team: Rennie, W. Watson, Wark, R. Watson, McVie, McLaren, Gardner, Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson, Marinello.

Motherwell 2 V Hibs 1

Scorers:

Team: Rennie, W. Watson. Wark, R. Watson, McVie, McLaren, Gardner, Pettigrew, Graham, Davidson, Taylor.

Crowd 16,000

Yeah it's hard to compare,fitness,diet,sports science but I always wonder how this team would be compared to the opposition in present time 

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Motherwell 2 V Hibs 2

Scorers:

Replay 10 March 1976

Hibs 1 V Motherwell 1

Scorers:

Motherwell 2 V Hibs 1

Scorers:

Crowd 16,000

Is the third game when we apparently had a major illness problem in the squad , but it looks like only marinello that's missing. Just noticed that marinello scored. I vaguely remember crowd trouble that night.

Edited by well_said
More detail

Motherwell 2 V Hibs 2

Scorers:

Replay 10 March 1976

Hibs 1 V Motherwell 1

Scorers:

Motherwell 2 V Hibs 1

Scorers:

Crowd 16,000

Thanks for reminding me of what a great team we had in the seventies. I was at those games except for the Ibrox game.

50 minutes ago, well_said said:

Is the third game when we apparently had a major illness problem in the squad , but it looks like only marinello that's missing. Just noticed that marinello scored. I vaguely remember crowd trouble that night.

Possibly the finest Well performance I've ever seen. The team was dead on its feet that night after a flu outbreak. Hibs got what they deserved that night. We asked for a postponement but their Chairman Tom Hart accused us of underhanded tactics and in effect cheating in trying to get the game called off despite having medical evidence.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benson said:

Pettigrew,Graham,Davidson,Marinello, what a front line,they would toy with today's defenders

Agreed.  My favourite Motherwell team. Pat Gardner was a lovely passer of the ball from midfield and could slide well-weighted passes into both inside forward positions where  Davidson, Pettigrew and Graham would invariably be making runs.

This was a really solid side with very few shortcomings.  We could’ve done with a better centre-half as big Willie McVie could be a bit erratic and Bobby Graham could’ve been greedier in front of goal instead of trying to lay off for Willie P. 

Oh and we were cheated out of two Scottish Cup finals on the trot by really dodgy refereeing decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, well_said said:

Yes there was outbreak of flu and as Kmcalpin posted many of our players were out on their feet at the end.  Marinello wasn’t fully fit but was on the bench and had to come on as a sub.

Hibs had a really good side at that time with a number of Scottish internationalists - Eric Schaedler, John Brownlie, Pat Stanton, John Blackley, Des Bremner, Arthur Duncan all played in these games.

Later  that year they beat Liverpool 1-0 in the UEFA Cup 1st Round 1st Leg at Easter Road.

Hibs had a really good side at that time with a number of Scottish internationalists - Eric Schaedler, John Brownlie, Pat Stanton, John Blackley, Des Bremner, Arthur Duncan all played in these games.

Later  that year they beat Liverpool 1-0 in the UEFA Cup 1st Round 1st Leg at Easter Road.

Hibs also missed a penalty in the win over Liverpool and lost the return leg 3-1. Although he was coming to the end of his career, Alex Edwards was providing a fair bit of guile in their midfield. They were a very decent side and just pipped us for third, and a European spot. As I recall, in the second replay at Ibrox, Peter Marinello came off the bench to score the winner from the penalty spot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, well_said said:

That was the game when we had illness in the squad yes. Although it looks like we fielded a full team more or less you could see there were a lot of players dragging themselves about the pitch and were clearly suffering fluish stuff. They dug in so well that night.