Cup Motherwell v Hibs 13/03/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Cornelius was good in the second half,he was willing to go and press and atleast his first thought was to go forward when he had the ball,two things our midfield has been lacking all season.if he doesn't start next time out then the games a bogie.

Thought we were far better in second half despite being down to 10 men, our decision making is honking, Oyala’s positioning for both goals, Efford has to cut back just before half time for 2-2, and Woolley has to cross with two free men at back post, just a little composure needed and we could have at least been in extra time.

Very difficult to judge a performance when the game is pretty much over in the first minute but I thought we played OK and hung in there under difficult circumstances.

Didn't get a good view of the Mugabi tackle but it seemed a bit on the wild side.  I don't want to say too much about that until I see the TV pictures but if the red was justified that's a massive individual error.

Having said that we should probably scored before Hibs took the lead and if we had, that changes the game dynamic massively.

Overall though I thought we did reasonably well.  Created a few chances, hung in there but our final ball and finishing still needs to improve.  

Right now it's a mixture of individual errors, poor finishing and delivery and just that little bit of luck that seems to elude teams when they are on a bad run.

I've yet too see many teams outside the OF give us a lesson.

Need to sharpen up some elements of our game and improve the squad during the summer.  

Would like to see Cornelius get a run of games now up to the end of the season.

EDIT - Just saw the pictures, not a red card for me.  Collum is reacting to the Hibs players if you ask me.

Our chances of winning were in doubt with the manager’s team selection and went right out the window when Mugabi was sent off.

We gave away 2 really cheap goals.  At the 1st,  McGinley and Ojala both culpable.  McGinley was too easily beaten to let the Hibs winger get the cross in and Ojala allowed the Hibs striker to get in front of him on the near post.  At the 2nd, one long ball over the top took out both of our centre-backs.

At 1 goal down it was an uphill task but at 2 it became a lost cause.

Credit to the guys for coming out in tbe 2nd half and making the game competitive and with a wee bit of luck might even have got back level.

With 4 at the back I thought we seemed better balanced.  Solhelm looked more comfortable with Lamie beside him and O’Donnell gave us width on the right.  Efford, Van Veen and Roberts worked their socks off up front and gave the Hibs back line plenty of scares.

However, my man of the match was young Dean Cornelius, who I thought was outstanding and our best player by a mile. The failures for me were McGinley, Ojala and Donnelly.

Where we go from here is anybody’s guess but the manager must surely be under scrutiny by the board.

Why oh why can't we get a bit of consistency in the team selection. Another game where we change the team yet again. Does the manager not know by now what his best team is? Certainly looks like it. Then to bring on players with less 20 mins to play and then 1 min to play. How does he expect them to affect the game. I have never been one to call for a manager to be shown the door, but I'm getting to that point.

I’m proud of the performance we put in until around 60 mins then the game just sortov fizzled out. 

I don’t know why GA waited so long to make an attacking substitution? Roberta and Efford had tan themselves into the ground by the hour. 

Shame for Big Bevis has he did look noticeably upset when he went down the tunnel.

Also, how many times have we missed a blatant scoring chance and conceded within seconds this season? Do we have a striking coach? IF WE DO, he’s stealing a wage!  

1 minute ago, yosemite sam said:

Why oh why can't we get a bit of consistency in the team selection.

It's been injuries, illness and suspensions mostly this season. GA doesn't advertise or complain about it, but we've struggled to have the same 13 fit on consecutive weeks.

14 minutes ago, El Grew said:

We gave away 2 really cheap goals.  At the 1st,  McGinley and Ojala both culpable.  McGinley was too easily beaten to let the Hibs winger get the cross in and Ojala allowed the Hibs striker to get in front of him on the near post.  At the 2nd, one long ball over the top took out both of our centre-backs.

You can concentrate on the mistakes if you like but I thought Melkersen looked like the kind of quality buy teams like Hibernian can perhaps bring in at the winter transfer window that we can't.  

Took both his goals really well, while we have van Veen, who looks like he's being held together with sellotape at the moment.  

It’s mostly taken out of Alexander’s hands by Mugabi’s recklessness. Taking Ojala off (I’m struggling to remember a worse footballer) for SOD was the right call. Waiting until the 81st minute to make an attacking change is completely bizarre to me. Season finished.

27 minutes ago, weeyin said:

It's been injuries, illness and suspensions mostly this season. GA doesn't advertise or complain about it, but we've struggled to have the same 13 fit on consecutive weeks.

In the last 4 games the only players unavailable for the team or subs bench were Van Veen (missed the Rangers game), McGinley (missed the first 3 games) and O'Hara (missing today).

There were 2 changes for Ross County, 4 for Dundee and 4 today. Changing the team/squad is clearly Alexander's choice, it's certainly not being forced on him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

In the last 4 games the only players unavailable for the team or subs bench were Van Veen (missed the Rangers game), McGinley (missed the first 3 games) and O'Hara (missing today).

There were 2 changes for Ross County, 4 for Dundee and 4 today. Changing the team/squad is clearly Alexander's choice, it's certainly not being forced on him.

Do you think he should not changed anything after the last two performances?

If he didn't people would be still be complaining.

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Do you think he should not changed anything after the last two performances?

If he didn't people would be still be complaining.

People can decide on the wisdom of his changes, I'm simply pointing out most of them are not due to injury or illness.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Our target now is to avoid any more red cards and bad injuries. Let's concentrate on next week's game.

our target now is avoiding a play off spot , We have 3 games that in any other year you'd say would put up in the top 6. We will take 2 points out the next 9. A shambolic season watching the most horrendous football imaginable. Burrows will be making a big decision in October.

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Hard lines. Who knows how it would have panned out if wasn’t for the red card which was the right decision. We rightly went out with a plan to be aggressive but Mugabi, and Roberts by the looks of it, went too far. 

Nevertheless, there was enough about hat performance to give me confidence that we can still finish the season well. I was pleased to see Donnelly respond so well to the recent criticism. At the other end of he scale though, McGinley was weak and Ojala looks more and more a liability each week. 

Finish the season well ??? with all due respect mate what have you been watching since Christmas. we will be 8th at best.