Cup Motherwell v Hibs 13/03/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Well, us older fans have seen us probably claim 2 Scottish Cup records (losing the quickest ever goal to Aberdeen and picking up the quickest ever cup red card).  I don't know if we could call that a privelege. They say things come in 3s...whats next?

Mugabi's red card was dubious and I would say it was a yellow, as it was identical to Roberts's. We've seen a tackle, just like that, escape any card recently at FP. That effectively killed the game as a contest, but I suspect Hibs won't be overly concerned about that.  If it hadn't happened then I think we would still have lost out. We rarely, if ever, play well with 2 wingbacks and today was no exception.   The line up was something else. One positive was the performance of young Dean Cornelius. He played very well in difficult circumstances. Long standing faults were once again evident today.  Anyway next weeks game is looming and thats more important. 

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I will be if the OF get put out while they are in it I'm not too bothered  

Maybe a defeatist attitude but the Old Firm are that far ahead and Hearts also (to us anyway). Disappointed to lose today and certainly because we yet again shoot ourself in the foot. 

But chances are we would have drawn either or both Old Firm to get to or in the final. Good money for the club but depressing for the fans. We would sell 6000 tickets and they would have 35/40,000. And we would get rogered. 

So I would always take top 5 and hopefully Europe over cup semi. Problem is we are unlikely to get the points required to achieve that. You kinda think we have to score first soon surely. Or we have to get a game changing decision in our favour. But the reality is we will get a red card, an own goal, a penalty and onside goal chopped off.  That and there will be another 7 changes. 

We could make top 6 and kick on from here but there are literally no signs that is likely to happen. 

3 hours ago, Richie said:

Does Collum give a red for that in the 1st min of an OF Quarter Final - Does he fuck.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've only seen from behind the goal at the game but that was my question,  would he have given same v glasgow twins?

seems to be 50/50 whether it was a red but in the first minute , would a yellow have been outrageous?

4 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Finish the season well ??? with all due respect mate what have you been watching since Christmas. we will be 8th at best.

Success for me will be 7th spot. If we can achieve that I'll be happy, as it'll represent improvement on last year. However, given our current run that might be wildly optimistic. Looking at our next 3 games you wonder where our next win, maybe point, is coming from. When you're on a run like ours, decisions go against you, as they say.

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Success for me will be 7th spot. If we can achieve that I'll be happy, as it'll represent improvement on last year. However, given our current run that might be wildly optimistic. Looking at our next 3 games you wonder where our next win, maybe point, is coming from. When you're on a run like ours, decisions go against you, as they say.

I dont know if Id be exactly happy , what we have watched this season has been the most mind numbing garbage. If we have to watch this again next year god help us.

Picture the scenario. Cup quarter final at the tattiedrome  1 minute gone and Tavernier sets off on a run. Taylor flies into the tackle exactly like Mugabi's. Does Colum give a red card? Absolutely no chance. Gave it today because of the antics of the Hibs players all running over. Worst of all was Porteous of all people running about waving his arms and screaming like a banshee. 

If you watch it on the box there is no malice or over done force. He plays the ball first and his foot bounces off the ball onto Doig's leg. A yellow perhaps but no way its a red. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

disagree Hibs were pish.

Hibs were pish  ? Kelly has several saves - how many did their keeper have to stop ? 

They were the better team by a distance in the first half and in the second managed the game and kept the ball - something we have zero ability to do.

Feels like we're in freefall - other than working hard to stop the other team - I don't really see what we have to offer.   Not all about the players either, I believe we could be a lot better with a different brand of footy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, real dosser said:

Picture the scenario. Cup quarter final at the tattiedrome  1 minute gone and Tavernier sets off on a run. Taylor flies into the tackle exactly like Mugabi's. Does Colum give a red card? Absolutely no chance. Gave it today because of the antics of the Hibs players all running over. Worst of all was Porteous of all people running about waving his arms and screaming like a banshee. 

If you watch it on the box there is no malice or over done force. He plays the ball first and his foot bounces off the ball onto Doig's leg. A yellow perhaps but no way its a red. 

100%. Watching the incident time and again Gordon, does Mugabi actually make any contact with the Hibs' player?

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

100%. Watching the incident time and again Gordon, does Mugabi actually make any contact with the Hibs' player?

He goes off injured about 5 minutes later so I’m pretty sure there was contact.

2 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Hibs were pish  ? Kelly has several saves - how many did their keeper have to stop ? 

They were the better team by a distance in the first half and in the second managed the game and kept the ball - something we have zero ability to do.

Feels like we're in freefall - other than working hard to stop the other team - I don't really see what we have to offer.   Not all about the players either, I believe we could be a lot better with a different brand of footy. 

I cant remember Kelly having to make any kind of save that would't be run of the mill stuff... "How many did their keeper have to stop"?? we had ten men we wouldn't be expecting him to make many if any. Hibs were garbage and have the same honking run of form as us because they are garbage just like us. A half decent performance with 11 men would have seen Hibs off.

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

the boy went off injured - no doubt a stupid challenge. Personally feel a yellow would have been the right call , however Mugabi is clumbsy and leaves the ref decisions to make.

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I would take 7th right now as I think we could easily finish as low as 10.up until the last 2 home league games I would have been a bit gutted at missing out on the top 6,just because we have spent most of the season there but now I'm not bothered,I just want this season by with now.our form since the break has been diabolical.to be still in with a shout of top 6 is crazy but I just don't see it happening as it's hard to see where our next win will come from.

1 minute ago, mfc said:

I would take 7th right now as I think we could easily finish as low as 10.up until the last 2 home league games I would have been a bit gutted at missing out on the top 6,just because we have spent most of the season there but now I'm not bothered,I just want this season by with now.our form since the break has been diabolical.to be still in with a shout of top 6 is crazy but I just don't see it happening as it's hard to see where our next win will come from.

Likewise mate I just want to see the back of this shite and if we are still playing like this in September the back of Alexander too.

3 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I cant remember Kelly having to make any kind of save that would't be run of the mill stuff... "How many did their keeper have to stop"?? we had ten men we wouldn't be expecting him to make many if any. Hibs were garbage and have the same honking run of form as us because they are garbage just like us. A half decent performance with 11 men would have seen Hibs off.

I've not been impressed with hibs anytime we have played them this season.to be honest I was more confident of winning today than I was against dundee and ross county recently but from the sending off to team selection we just seem intent on shooting ourselves in the foot.for as honking as we are,that definitely feels like a missed opportunity today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/60728778

The more I see it the angrier I get. It's a bad tackle, and merits a yellow card, but never in a million years is that a fucking red card.

Stepping away from the red/yellow debate there, you can see Mugabi extremely upset as he comes off in that clip. He's a big brute of a guy, but very clearly wears his heart on his sleeve and cares a lot for the cause. Top top guy.

After watching today more than ever I’m convinced we need a new defence . 
Mugabi seems to get away with being a fans favourite . As a player particularly when exposed in the full back position he is a liability. Never a right back and never will be . McGinley also needs replaced . Average at best on a good day but always a mistake in him . Lastly Obama . Where do you start with him . Good in the air but so slow on the deck . Next season two new wing backs and a decent centre half please . Would be happy to give the young lad Max Johnston a chance as well if he’s still at the club . Would also have been happy to keep Lamie but that’s gone . 
Strange to here some giving it to O’Donnell when things go wrong yet Mugabi gets cult status . Strange old game 

4 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Likewise mate I just want to see the back of this shite and if we are still playing like this in September the back of Alexander too.

Think most on here want to see the back of your shite.

Not defending recent performance, but, the patter from you cunts is chronic.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, GazzyB said:

The more I see it the angrier I get. It's a bad tackle, and merits a yellow card, but never in a million years is that a fucking red card.

Stepping away from the red/yellow debate there, you can see Mugabi extremely upset as he comes off in that clip. He's a big brute of a guy, but very clearly wears his heart on his sleeve and cares a lot for the cause. Top top guy.

Did he need to go in for a tackle like that in an area of the pitch where there is no danger to us,absolutely not but it's never a red card.like I said I don't think he needed to be making the tackle but he's the one of the pitch and part of his job is to make tackles,the referee then has to do his job properly and he's fucked it up.there was a semi final spot and extra finances up for grabs today and that cunt collum took any chance we had away.everytime we have him doing our games,there's always something that goes against us,I genuinely think him like craig thomson has a serious dislike for us.

Am I alone in thinking this was an outcome of the manager's making? Both Mugabi and McGinley haven't played for weeks and yet both start. Now poor as O'Donnell has been this season, he is a more natural right back than Bevis ever will be. We set up with four central defenders and someone who couldn't defend at a Primary 5 kick about. See a back 5, Donnelly and Cornelius having to cover the whole middle of the park and 3 up front? Doomed from the start. To blame Collum is the easy answer. We all know he's an absolute imposter of a ref but I think we all know, the answer lies closer to home. We are a team going nowhere with GA at the helm.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

It’s a nailed on red for me, other way round the East stand would have been demanding it. He made contact with the player, you just can’t go flying in like that, make contact, and expect to get away with it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gazzetta19 said:

Am I alone in thinking this was an outcome of the manager's making? Both Mugabi and McGinley haven't played for weeks and yet both start. Now poor as O'Donnell has been this season, he is a more natural right back than Bevis ever will be. We set up with four central defenders and someone who couldn't defend at a Primary 5 kick about. See a back 5, Donnelly and Cornelius having to cover the whole middle of the park and 3 up front? Doomed from the start. To blame Collum is the easy answer. We all know he's an absolute imposter of a ref but I think we all know, the answer lies closer to home. We are a team going nowhere with GA at the helm.

The line up was frankly ridiculous,  I always try and defend our manager but given we were playing a struggling team I’ve no idea why he picked that starting 11 and that formation. A 3-4-3 with with McGinley and Mugabi out wide and two midfielders, sorry it makes absolutely no sense to me.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gazzetta19 said:

You are  not alone in thinking this .

mubabi is an ok centre half but will make mistakes . Should never be playing where he was today .

team selection is bizarre .

tactics bizarre .