Cup Motherwell v Hibs 13/03/2022

SteelmaninOZ

50 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

Strange to here some giving it to O’Donnell when things go wrong yet Mugabi gets cult status . Strange old game 

Over the whole season Mugabi has been one of our better players.

The fact that Mugabi is even playing at right back tells you how O'Donnell has performed.

• Like 1

The lineup threw me, as it often does under Alexander, but the tactics were far from bizarre. The game plan appeared to be to match up with Maloney’s 343, which has been powderpuff until today, and overpower them. There was enough evidence to suggest it may have worked with 11 on the park. Having said that, I’d question both the starting personnel and the decision not to substitute Ojala for O’Donnell early in the first half. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Was it not a 5-2-3?

I think Alexander himself stated it was a 3-4-3 but you could easily think of it as a 5-2-3.  Either way we have a squad with plenty of natural midfielders and he starts with Donnelly who is way off form and a young inexperienced player, in midfield,  in a Scottish cup quarter final.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

It’s a nailed on red for me, other way round the East stand would have been demanding it. He made contact with the player, you just can’t go flying in like that, make contact, and expect to get away with it. 

He didn't go flying in though yorky. He was nearly stationery overstretched for ball with his foot sideways doig goes in committed and its a collision with instep of doigs foot getting bevis studs. It wasnt high and never a red as those happen every week and aren't. 

Roberts on other hand does go flying in but he caught hibs player again on foot and that saved him plus collum shat it as no way even he's sending 2 off in 1st 15 mins.

Hibs player elbow I've not seen yet so I'll reserve judgement. 

I like others was stunned at team with amongst other decisions no woolery in spite of being our most attacking threat recently was strange. The only thing I can think off was he was hoping we would dominate them with long kick outs to bevis up the right as we do a lot of that and Roberts won a lot of balls in that area all game. Hibs are small other than porteos and I think that's what we were hoping for.

Was a good old fashioned cup tie today and atmosphere that was enjoyable.  Got ruined by collum imo. Allll players ran their hearts out which I know should be a given but unfortunately it's not all time.

Ojala at fault for 2nd as that is an under 13s goal . Ball over top and striker onto it. That's my only criticism of team today although not a lot of quality(never is) we done as well as can be asked due to 10 v 11 for all game.

Disappointed but if we play with that commitment next few games and certainly get slattery back into team to pass the ball then maybe we can finish top 6.

Red card not Alexander’s fault however 

- the line up was a cluster fuck

- he had to take one of the wingers off and bring on a midfielder instantly and he didn’t 

- he had to bring woolery on to give us an out ball and he didn’t until it was too late and they had gone to 5 at the back . 

- he had to bring shields on so we had a striker in the box he didn’t until 90 fucking minutes 

always been a KVV fan but today in those circumstances we needed him and he failed to deliver he couldn’t even get in the box.

ten minutes to go going out the cup and we’ve a free kick 40 yards out when down to ten men. We keep one centre half in half way line and 3 over the free kick . That makes it 11 v 6 - no wonder we don’t win the  first or second ball

Alexander out. Be the bigger man burrows and admit you make a james blunt of the contract extension and get shot of him before we are away to Arbroath in the play offs 

5 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I think Alexander himself stated it was a 3-4-3 but you could easily think of it as a 5-2-3.  Either way we have a squad with plenty of natural midfielders and he starts with Donnelly who is way off form and a young inexperienced player, in midfield,  in a Scottish cup quarter final.

It was definitely a 3-4-3 because I was confused when I saw the pre-match line ups and made a point of seeing how we lined up.

No secret I'm not Donnelly's biggest fan but I thought he did OK today.  

3 minutes ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

Alexander out. Be the bigger man burrows and admit you make a james blunt of the contract extension and get shot of him before we are away to Arbroath in the play offs 

I'm no GA fan, but having won 5 in 30, there's no way St. Johnstone are picking up 4 wins from 8 games left, with us not picking up a single point.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I'm no GA fan, but having won 5 in 30, there's no way St. Johnstone are picking up 4 wins from 8 games left, with us not picking up a single point.

Agreed. We are not getting relegated as it’s almost if not impossible for St.Johnstone or Dundee to claw back the points difference between now and the end of the season. Neither of them are good enough for that type of return and as poor as we are, I really don’t see us losing every single match between now and then.

We should be looking towards next season now. 

Well, us older fans have seen us probably claim 2 Scottish Cup records (losing the quickest ever goal to Aberdeen and picking up the quickest ever cup red card).  I don't know if we could call that a privelege. They say things come in 3s...whats next?
Mugabi's red card was dubious and I would say it was a yellow, as it was identical to Roberts's. We've seen a tackle, just like that, escape any card recently at FP. That effectively killed the game as a contest, but I suspect Hibs won't be overly concerned about that.  If it hadn't happened then I think we would still have lost out. We rarely, if ever, play well with 2 wingbacks and today was no exception.   The line up was something else. One positive was the performance of young Dean Cornelius. He played very well in difficult circumstances. Long standing faults were once again evident today.  Anyway next weeks game is looming and thats more important. 

I reckon Sam Goodwin’s against Patrick Thistle was quicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah good old Willie Collum great at being consistently inconsistent, it was great to see a bumper crowd today but sadly a swift kick to the baws after 50 seconds. Looking at general social media posts the general consensus seems to be it was a harsh red, I don't plan to revisit the highlights to watch todays proceedings to check for myself but one thing I do know is not to go into robust challenges with that wee fud running the the show. I do however find it funny with Porteous reaction jumping up and down screaming at Collum to show a red then when he does he jumps about cheers then steps over his team mate stricken on the ground without checking on his wellbeing.   I'm sure it's been mentioned throughout the thread previously but Willie was surprising lenient with the guy who dived twice, the keeper with the elbow on Lamie and the elbow from the Hibs forward in the first half. Finally the old chestnut when a keeper keeps wasting time all half then book them on the 93rd minute to pretend your doing something.

TBH it was a much better watch than the last two home league games, at least we managed to actually pass the ball around. We managed to restrict them to one decent effort in the second half which was a Doidge header but they have got more joy in the first half. It kinda feels what could have been had we had the full 11 on the field for the full 90 minutes. Just frustrating to miss glorious chances then they go up and score a minute or so later. 

I see the Hibs fans have tore up a section of South Stand seats and a female steward got her head busted open by a projectile.

3 minutes ago, maz said:

I see the Hibs fans have tore up a section of South Stand seats and a female steward got her head busted open by a projectile.

Totally unacceptable  and I hope she's OK. If her only wound is a cut head then she's very lucky (but unlucky). It could have been much worse. I hope the decent Hibs fans shop the culprit and that they're given a jail sentence. 

10 minutes ago, maz said:

It would appear so. Hopefully we call them out and bill them as appropriately.

This seems to be happening more and more these days, with several different sets of fans, likewise with jumping on the pitch to celebrate goals. I include our own in that. 

I don’t get why football fans can’t just go and support their clubs without this nonsense. Or is it more about getting likes on social media under the hashtag ‘#scenes’??

• Like 1

A very frustrating game caused by a crazy Mugabi challenge,  whether you think red or not he gave gollum a decision to make  though I don't agree with the guy sitting near me who thought collum and wife should die!!!( FFS mate get a grip),  I thought we tried hard and cornelius and donnelly good though no doubt cornelius dropped for next 4 games.  Efford scored but offers little else .  GA team selection is baffling and God knows what line up his tombola machine picks next week 

I thought the players put in an excellent display today. It is very harsh to criticise Mugabi. It is a split second decision, fired up with adrenalin in the first moments of the game. No malice, no intent to injure. It was fractions away from being a great tackle that could have set the tone of the game in a very different manner. He got it wrong ultimately and paid a very heavy price. 

The talk about sacking the manager is absolutely crazy. The defeatist attitude is staggering at times. All the talk is about us finishing 10th and yet we could equally finish 4th. I saw nothing in Hibs today to  suggest thatthey are any better than us. 

Hopefully the pain of today galvinises the team to produce a strong end to the season. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Can wear his heart anywhere, but it's what's in your head that counts, STUPID, STUPID tackle, reminded me of a Sam Goodwin red card many years ago. Listen half of youse on hear seem to think Bevis is the second coming but go through the last few games we either lost or lost goals in culpable for many, but hey ho its Bevis. He is never a full back, full stop. If you play him its got to be in the defence. Don't blame the manager, as I said you got got your wishes to play certain players. Onwards now 3 to go to the split and if we can keep 11 on the park then top 6 still awaits. To those who want the manager sacked, sssssshhhhhhh, it could have been Tommy Wright. All managers need at least 3 transfer windows, so patience please, this is Motherwell, remember budget set on 10th and anything else a bonus. 

Yeah we might end up with a Tommy Wright but also might end up with a Malky MacKay.

you seriously want another transfer window to unearth another Joe Efford or Jordan Roberts or to get a McGinley on another 3 year deal.  Or is it to bring a shaw in on loan or sign a Slatterly to leave them out in the cold due to his sheet arrogance. 

We’ve a bigger budget than the previous 10 years and a bigger squad yet our standard of football is utter shite , there’s no youth coming through the ranks and we couldn’t buy a win but yeah we could have Tommy Wright bollocks is just a smoke screen for the utter shite that’s being put in front of us.

The manger is giving the team little chance of excelling , being entertaining or winning yet your happy to give him another transfer window. Madness - going out the cup and he keeps 4 at the back - he was asking Aldo the kitman what to do halfway through the second half he’s that clueless. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

It’s a nailed on red for me, other way round the East stand would have been demanding it. He made contact with the player, you just can’t go flying in like that, make contact, and expect to get away with it. 

Don't talk shite never a feckin red card watch the highlights especially the slow motion replay mugabi makes contact with the ball, that wee wank colum could not wait to show the red, sooner we have var the better, 1st minute of the game a feckin shocking decision, at worst a yellow, the useless arsehole cost us the game today.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

Yeah we might end up with a Tommy Wright but also might end up with a Malky MacKay.

you seriously want another transfer window to unearth another Joe Efford or Jordan Roberts or to get a McGinley on another 3 year deal.  Or is it to bring a shaw in on loan or sign a Slatterly to leave them out in the cold due to his sheet arrogance. 

We’ve a bigger budget than the previous 10 years and a bigger squad yet our standard of football is utter shite , there’s no youth coming through the ranks and we couldn’t buy a win but yeah we could have Tommy Wright bollocks is just a smoke screen for the utter shite that’s being put in front of us.

The manger is giving the team little chance of excelling , being entertaining or winning yet your happy to give him another transfer window. Madness - going out the cup and he keeps 4 at the back - he was asking Aldo the kitman what to do halfway through the second half he’s that clueless. 

Maybe you should have a word with some Aberdeen supporters.

Didn't like the manager, didn't like the style of football, forced him out and drop from being the 3rd force in Scottish football to 10th in the league this season and eliminated, in their eyes, in the cups by wee teams.

OK we've not won for a while but out the last 5 matches I've seen I'd say we've had 3 acceptable performances (Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Hibs) and the two that weren't acceptable we get a point in one of them and the other we lost to a controversial penalty.

It could be a lot worse.  

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Exactly this. So easy to blame Collum but the blame lies a lot closer to home. And if Collum really wanted to rub our noses in it he could/should have sent of Roberts as well. If he had booked Mugabi I think he would have sent Roberts off. If either of those tackles had been on our players we would all have been screaming red card. And to question whether there was any contact for the red card is nonsense. Hibs did over react though but that's football for you. We do it as well.

I like Mugabi but he is never a wing back and putting him out there was an act of folly. Centre Back or nothing....and after Ojala and Sol's performances of late there was plenty of reason to justify playing him in his proper position. Were any of us really surprised to see him lunge in and force the referee to decide the colour of card? He has been doing that all season. Much as many on here will be in denial, SOD showed exactly how that position is best played. 

But yes, blame Collum. That takes the heat off the man who put that team out on the park and refuses to acknowledge the issues that most on here have been concerned about for months.

I'll be happy if we avoid the play off. Thankfully games are running out and the gap should be too much. 

43 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Don't talk shite never a feckin red card watch the highlights especially the slow motion replay mugabi makes contact with the ball, that wee wank colum could not wait to show the red, sooner we have var the better, 1st minute of the game a feckin shocking decision, at worst a yellow, the useless arsehole cost us the game today.

Doig went off injured minutes later, so it's pretty clear Mugabi caught him on the follow through. Making contact with the ball is a side issue now.

VAR doesn't give a toss what minute of the game it is and would've replayed it till they found an angle that justified a red. Roberts would probably have gone too.

54 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Don't talk shite never a feckin red card watch the highlights especially the slow motion replay mugabi makes contact with the ball

Irrelevant, I'm afraid, unless you don't think it was even a foul. The criteria for deciding whether a foul merits a red card don't include whether the player touched the ball.

10 minutes ago, numpty said:

Irrelevant, I'm afraid, unless you don't think it was even a foul. The criteria for deciding whether a foul merits a red card don't include whether the player touched the ball.

Irrelevant why, a red card is merited if the tackle is high, reckless, dangerous,  out of control, denies a goal scoring opportunity etc none of which applies to Mugabi's tackle today.

He made contact with the ball 1st, granted he followed through and also caught the player so it was a booking at worst.

Colum could not wait to show the red card he has well known previous for shite decisions like that and he confirmed how much of a useless wanker he was by ignoring a blatant elbow in Donnelly's face later in the game. 

So yes it was relevant, as it forced us to play for 89 mins with a man down due to a shocking decision by a shite referee but as we know they answer to nobody so we have to put up with their incompetence .

I have no issues being beaten by a better side but when the ref makes a James Hunt of it a minute in and hands Hibs a massive advantage its hard to take.

22 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Irrelevant why, a red card is merited if the tackle is high, reckless, dangerous,  out of control, denies a goal scoring opportunity etc none of which applies to Mugabi's tackle today.

He made contact with the ball 1st, granted he followed through and also caught the player so it was a booking at worst.

Colum could not wait to show the red card he has well known previous for shite decisions like that and he confirmed how much of a useless wanker he was by ignoring a blatant elbow in Donnelly's face later in the game. 

So yes it was relevant, as it forced us to play for 89 mins with a man down due to a shocking decision by a shite referee but as we know they answer to nobody so we have to put up with their incompetence .

I have no issues being beaten by a better side but when the ref makes a James Hunt of it a minute in and hands Hibs a massive advantage its hard to take.

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.
Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

Given he put Doig out the game, how could we argue it wasn't a red card?