Cup Motherwell v Hibs 13/03/2022

SteelmaninOZ

59 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

I thought the opposite about Collum going for the red first chance he got. When the challenge was made I immediately looked at Collum, he was reaching for the right hand pocket on his shorts for his yellow card when he was barged from his left hand side by a Hibs player. It was only when he was surrounded by them he decided he better get the red out pdq.

Still an arsehole of a man right enough.

Was just watching the highlights there when I read your post, great spot! Collum deffo goes for his right hand pocket on his shorts and is then set upon by 3 Hibs players, with at least 1 of them making contact with him.

Perfect example of why teams must put pressure on weak minded referees throughout games, and on this occasion paid massive dividends for them. 

4 minutes ago, pretzel said:

I also love how Porteous after cheering the red card just steps over his team mate injured on the ground without checking on the poor guy, seconds prior he was screaming murder.

I suppose it keeps the walloper from nicking wreaths out folk's gardens.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, GazzyB said:

Never a red. Can we get fucking VAR already???

Absolutely scunnered

On 3/13/2022 at 12:34 PM, Richie said:

Willie Collum is absolutely at it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

On 3/13/2022 at 12:35 PM, Kmcalpin said:

A yellow never a red. Game spoiled and now over.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:36 PM, GrahamH said:

Stupid tackle from Mugabi. Harsh red but even Mugabi on a yellow for a full game is suicidal.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:36 PM, GazzyB said:

What are you talking about? It’s never ever a red. 

On 3/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, MJC_mkII said:

That was a yellow card at best. Mugabi was daft to go in like that but that is Willie Collum at his pedantic, petty best. :wallbash:

On 3/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, weeyin said:

He was a little rash, but is foot was low and he hit the ball first.

Collum as usual looking the be the centre of attention and, instead, has ruined the game for both sets of fans.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:46 PM, mfc said:

It was a yellow card but when we have collum refereeing our games then it was always going to be a red,he's a wank of the highest order,just like craig thomson you know what's coming before the game even starts.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:07 PM, Stevie73 said:

Willie Collum has killed this game in the first minute, we can never catch a break

Absolute madness, it was a red card all day and it wasn't Collum's fault. 

Couldnt make the game yesterday so had to make do with watching online.

Re the red card. I personally didnt think it merited one, particualy so early in the game. But as others have said, we all know what Collum is like, so it wasnt a clever tackle from Bevis for that reason alone.  That fact that none of us can agree whether it was or wasnt, and that there was such a wide range of opinion from former players, even of the ex Hibs variety, shows there was at least some dubiety over it. I agree with all of those who said VAR would have made no diffence in this case for those reasons alone.

Formation wise, I really couldnt fathom the team selection and, because of the red card, we will never know wither it was a stroke of genius from GA or just another brainfart out of what has now become amusingly known as "the tombola".

Cant fault the players for effort though. Every one (bar maybe KVV and Ojala) put in an absolute shift and the Mount of ground that Donnelly and Cornelius covered in particular, was very impressive.

I thought Ojala was at fault for both the goals, although McGinley should have stopped the ball coming in for the first. The big fella just doesnt look to have fully recovered his fitness and he was holding his thigh again and moving uncomfortably before half time when he was hooked. Starting to think he is gonna be another perpetually injure played much like Charles Dunne.

We played very well 2nd half, albeit Hibs sat off us a bit to protect what they had and but for some better finishing (Roberts first half) and better decision making (Woolery 2nd half) I think we could have snatched a draw and taken it to extra time.

However, we didnt, and its gone, so we need to move on quickly and concentrate on getting into that top 6.

Lets leave the recriminations until seasons end and deal with the fallout then.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Absolute madness, it was a red card all day and it wasn't Collum's fault. 

We all have our own opinions on this one and I suspect the majority of fans who have watched it back think the same as the ones quoted above but there is feck all we can do about it so bring on St Johnstone.

3 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

There's every chance another referee would've given a yellow, but one thing's for sure - any appeal would fail based on the laws of the game and what happened. Touching the ball first isn't a factor anymore, no matter how ridiculous you might find that.

I don't think I did say it was ridiculous. I just asked what the rule was. Also I gave three possible check points, not just the one you quote. 

The rule you have quoted basically means that it comes down to interpretation of what constitutes excessive force. 

In rugby there is a check list of what constitutes a high tackle. You hear the refs talk through the checklist on the mics. 

It appears there is no checklist in this case so your opinion against mine as towhat constitutes excessive force. Nothing ridiculous about it. 

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Cheers Cunt , you can also put me on ignore instead of whinging like a big wummin.

Nearly a day for that and you’ve typed wummin deliberately? That’s beyond the pale.

If I’d had you on ignore there would’ve been very few posts on this thread yesterday afternoon. 

Things ain’t great, I’m far from the happy clapper type, but, at least be a little constructive in your negativity and offer something to the debate. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, claretband said:

Elbow in the ribs how is that not a penno?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Richie said:

Lamie down incredibly easily, but keeper elbowed him.
Violent conduct and a red.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Now, I don't agree that the goalie needed sent of and I think Collum did well to tell them both to fuck up and stop their pish, HOWEVER!

With VAR in every league you see on the telly. That would have 100% got reviewed and pressured the ref into giving a red card. 

40 minutes ago, star sail said:

I don't think I did say it was ridiculous. I just asked what the rule was. Also I gave three possible check points, not just the one you quote. 

The rule you have quoted basically means that it comes down to interpretation of what constitutes excessive force. 

In rugby there is a check list of what constitutes a high tackle. You hear the refs talk through the checklist on the mics. 

It appears there is no checklist in this case so your opinion against mine as towhat constitutes excessive force. Nothing ridiculous about it. 

Sorry, I didn't mean your opinion was ridiculous, it was regarding the rewriting the laws of physics comment. You're right, how could anyone going into a tackle like that not follow through? But that's the point - they don't want players making those challenges anymore, so they'll punish them as harshly as they can in the hope players will eventually catch on. Like the tackle from the back, which is given as a foul 99% of the time now, whether the ball's won or not - and a red card if there's any force involved. Fans might not like it, but since when has that stopped them?

The interpretation of excessive force? Yeah, the referee's (who are instructed how to interpret these incidents), not yours or mine.

42 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

How long should the free for all last?

I don't think there should be a free for all at any stage. A dangerous tackle should be treated the same from minute 0 to 90.

The timing yesterday just highlights how important it is that the decision is the right one. The game was over for 8000 fans after the first minute. 

The ref has to make a split second decision. It is a big big call and the referee's need help to make them. We need VAR. I would rather sit for 2 mins so we can get the right decision rather than sit through 89 mins of a game that is effectively over. 

I also think our refs should have mics. Transparency is really important and it is something that Scottish football in particular could do with. 

I have never understood why refs would not welcome that transparency. If  they can explain an on field decision at the time I think it would help with trust in our game. 

I don't think this decision was as clear cut as you suggest Busta. I think a yellow card may have been enough but I can see why the red was given. I wonder if it is just a matter of time before slide tackles of any sort are outlawed in the game. 

Looked decent at the start of the season.
Before he started pulling a caravan.
Think he's a decent player but injuries have caught up to him and he's basically done now. Shame. Probably why we were able to get him in the first place. Only contracted to the end of the season, aye?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

On 3/13/2022 at 6:46 PM, maz said:

Ah good old Willie Collum great at being consistently inconsistent, it was great to see a bumper crowd today but sadly a swift kick to the baws after 50 seconds. Looking at general social media posts the general consensus seems to be it was a harsh red, I don't plan to revisit the highlights to watch todays proceedings to check for myself but one thing I do know is not to go into robust challenges with that wee fud running the the show. I do however find it funny with Porteous reaction jumping up and down screaming at Collum to show a red then when he does he jumps about cheers then steps over his team mate stricken on the ground without checking on his wellbeing.   I'm sure it's been mentioned throughout the thread previously but Willie was surprising lenient with the guy who dived twice, the keeper with the elbow on Lamie and the elbow from the Hibs forward in the first half. Finally the old chestnut when a keeper keeps wasting time all half then book them on the 93rd minute to pretend your doing something.

TBH it was a much better watch than the last two home league games, at least we managed to actually pass the ball around. We managed to restrict them to one decent effort in the second half which was a Doidge header but they have got more joy in the first half. It kinda feels what could have been had we had the full 11 on the field for the full 90 minutes. Just frustrating to miss glorious chances then they go up and score a minute or so later. 

I see the Hibs fans have tore up a section of South Stand seats and a female steward got her head busted open by a projectile.

10 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

there's just been a tackle in celtic Cup game far worse than mugabe,  so the question would colum have done the same to old firm is probably no, but I suppose we knew that.

You've just beaten me to it.

"Reo Hatate is a lucky boy not to be sent off. He goes in with both feet off the ground on Kieran Freeman. Referee John Beaton, though, gives him just a yellow card." (BBC)

18 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

there's just been a tackle in celtic Cup game far worse than mugabe,  so the question would colum have done the same to old firm is probably no, but I suppose we knew that.

Correct worse than the one yesterday studs up nowhere near the ball and catches United man above the ankle