Cup Motherwell v Hibs 13/03/2022

SteelmaninOZ

3 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I'll cut Mugabi some slack and say he could've got away with a yellow on another day. But then we'd have been looking at a guy, whose job was obviously to get in about Hibs,  one or two fouls away from a red after one minute of a cup game refereed by Scotland's most card happy bastard - so it was a stupid, pointless challenge whatever way you look at it.

Still, he's in good company- wee Dougie's game killing second yellow against Dortmund springs to mind for utter numbskullery.

Remember it well, also chapuisat's recovery from his injury was remarkable,  rolling about one minute then back on his feet in jig time....ps.  no debate about Shannon's red though

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Remember it well, also chapuisat's recovery from his injury was remarkable,  rolling about one minute then back on his feet in jig time....ps.  no debate about Shannon's red though

It wasn't the worst tackle you'll ever see, but right in front of the referee when he was on a yellow was crazy. Funny watching him trying to get as far away from Frisk as possible afterwards, but I don't remember being amused at the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Shannon's was never a red card was at least a yard away from the player, I'm pretty sure the club appealed it and won (which was unheard of then) **memory may be paying trick on me though

21 hours ago, star sail said:

That though is the whole problem. There is no consistency whatsoever. 

Look at the Mugabi and Roberts tackle. Same game, same ref, same tackle  different outcome. No conspiracy theories just inconsistency. 

I have not seen the Celtic players tackle but different game, different ref different outcome. 

People pay their money to watch a cup tie of 11 v 11. If a ref is to make a decision in the first minute to change that he has to be confident that he has it right. 

The fact that he did not send of Roberts suggests to me that Collum was not as confident about the first decision. My own theory there is that he actually showed a moment of genuine compassion about the teams situation. Not right but certainly not the actions of a man out to get us. 

I am not really understanding the OF levels of paranoia comments either however. It is a legitimate debate and just because a few are very confident in there  opinion that it is as a red, does no mean that anybody who disagrees with that is showing  OF levels of paranoia. That is a strange conclusion to come to. Was Kenny Miller showing OF levels of paranoia. He thought the decision was harsh. I thought a yellow would have been enough but I can see why the red was given. 

It comes as part of a growing trend from a small minority to dismiss anything and anybody that actually tries to defend the  club (I have quoted you Yorkyred but I don't mean to implicate you in this observation) the players and it's  own fans. It is like a bias against the club. I thought that the role of a football fan was to be biased and blinkered in favour of your own club not against it. Is that not part of the fun of it? 

Within a minute of the sending off on Sunday there was a few tripping over themselves to blame Graham Alexander. He was standing in the dugout. It was 50 seconds into the game. How does that work? 

It is almost like the red card provides a platform to justify deep seated frustrations and opinions about the club and its fans. 

Mugabi made an honest mistake and yet the clammer to vilify him started instantly. Could you imagine if it had been SOD, the player that was been slated by a minority of Well fans last summer in the Euros for keeping Nathan Patterson out of the Scotland team.?

Ultimately it was a red card and the vast majority of Well fans would agree that the ref made the decision as he saw it at the time for good and honest reasons. He was influenced  by the reaction of the Hibs players and he was influenced by the fact that Doig was upended because of the weight difference between the two players. He is bound to be influenced by those factors because he is human. In his quiet moments after the game he may feel he got it right, he may feel he got it wrong. 

As fans we should have the opportunity to discuss it without being brow beaten one way or the other. 

yep, great post.  I don't usually see the point in moaning that rangers,celtic get the benefit of the doubt , its the way its always been,  refs are influenced by crowds , whether they admit it or not.

The tackle in the celtic game just compounds that, in saying all that, Roberts couldve walked 

if it had been the 70th minute of a feisty cup tie, it would have been easier to take , in the 1st minute, you just wanted a wee break and some perspective. It didn't happen and hope we get a break in the run in of the league, probably more chance of 4th or 5th place than winning Cup anyway.

Anybody shouting some of the stuff quoted at Colum needs to stop going to football.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Doesn't have any impact on us but good to see porteous banned for 4 games,  GIRUY

Might mean we don't have to suffer his shite if we end up in the same half as Hibs. Maloney's lost the plot appealing that on the basis he was trying to play the ball.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Josh Campbell was lucky to escape a red card today which looked a lot worse than Mugabi’s tackle for his red card against Hibs once again I don’t know what’s right and wrong both probably just deserved red cards but once again it’s up to the referee, I assume today Beaton was feeling sorry for Hibs after sending off a Hibs player already so just gave a yellow, so no wonder all supporters getting upset with inconsistency in refereeing.

No sympathy with Hibs, or Maloney (his dive against us in 2001 to win Celtic a last minute penalty still irks me).

The Edinburgh derby must be one of the most one sided derbies in world football. Hearts well and truly have Hibs number.

33 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

No sympathy with Hibs, or Maloney (his dive against us in 2001 to win Celtic a last minute penalty still irks me).

The Edinburgh derby must be one of the most one sided derbies in world football. Hearts well and truly have Hibs number.

Never forget that - one of the worst dives ever rewarded at fir park.  Horrible little rodent.

51 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Overall perhaps, but since January 2015, they have 5 wins each in the league, and 2 wins each in the Scottish Cup.

1 minute ago, numpty said:

Depends how far back you go. Since January 2015, they have 5 wins each in the league, and 2 wins each in the Scottish Cup.

Historically Hearts have dominated that derby. Indeed I believe they actually have won more Edinburgh derbies at Easter Road than Hibs have! It was also mentioned today that Hibs have never beaten Hearts at Hampden and that includes a 5-1 thumping against them in the final 10 years ago. That has got to be some level of torment if you’re a Hibs fan.

16 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

Josh Campbell was lucky to escape a red card today which looked a lot worse than Mugabi’s tackle for his red card against Hibs once again I don’t know what’s right and wrong both probably just deserved red cards but once again it’s up to the referee, I assume today Beaton was feeling sorry for Hibs after sending off a Hibs player already so just gave a yellow, so no wonder all supporters getting upset with inconsistency in refereeing.

Thought exactly the same yesterday re that Josh Campbell tackle, far worse than Mugabi’s. Interesting to note that Beaton took his time, calmed the situation down with both sets of players, and then issued a yellow. Compare that to Colum who excitedly had the red card out for Mugabi within a matter of seconds. 

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Shaun Maloney has left Hibs :lol:

Delighted... for Jack Ross.

Their chairman's statement says: "“Our hope in appointing Shaun Maloney as a young, highly regarded coach was that he would help us take the club forward, but ultimately it didn't work out."

Just in case sacking Ross (10 days before they played in a cup final) wasn't sufficient evidence the chairman is clueless, he thought a new coach would make a significant impact in 120 days.

• Like 1

Feel for Maloney - he seems a purist in terms of how to play football and is a likeable chap - a bit raw in terms of experience but that was a known. 

Jack Ross I thought was an excellent mgr and someone most clubs in the SPL would be delighted with. 

Overall thought is that those running Hibs need to take a long hard look ate themselves.