Motherwell v St Mirren 02/04/2022

SteelmaninOZ

22 hours ago, Yodo said:

Slattery as usual happens when players are left out and results are poor is now WORLD CLASS . Got to remember this guy hasn’t played a lot of first team football and it shows 

We've won 2 out the last 8 matches Slattery has started.

We've won 3 out the last 8 matches Barry Maguire started.

We've won 0 out the last 8 matches Liam Donnelly started.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Seemingly we played a closed door friendly with Celtic through the week, 5-2 to Celtic anyone with any info on team or goal scorers?

Well, I’d discount the headline as the first team squad have the weekend off except those representing their international sides.

4 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Well, I’d discount the headline as the first team squad have the weekend off except those representing their international sides.

I think the game was played Friday, it would be interesting to see the team as we don’t have a reserve side but would give some of our squad a game likes of Fox Grimshaw, Slattery, Amaluzer  and possibly Shaw (if he could play against his parent club), the score in these closed door games never matter just the performance, even Celtic fielded some of their stars that are coming back from injury.

3 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

I think the game was played Friday, it would be interesting to see the team as we don’t have a reserve side but would give some of our squad a game likes of Fox Grimshaw, Slattery, Amaluzer  and possibly Shaw (if he could play against his parent club), the score in these closed door games never matter just the performance, even Celtic fielded some of their stars that are coming back from injury.

Regulars weren’t playing. Take from that what you will.

3 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

2-1 to us, based on nothing more than optimism. :rolleyes:

One of those games where we go 2-0 up then concede meaning it’s a nerve racking last 20-30 mins. But this time we’ll see it out. Hopefully.

We'd just have to hope Alexander's back 8 can keep St Midden out 

It’s incredibly difficult to make any predictions at the moment, both on the line up and the score. We have to win a game at some point, I’ve just no idea when it’s going to happen because we’re capable of losing to anyone in the league at the moment. However it’s a very important game for Alexander, another shit show and a defeat coupled with a bizarre line up is going to see him come under increased pressure.

We know Robbo is more than capable of grinding out results. He has a relatively good squad there now and we have absolutely no right to expect anything from the match. It possibly is Alexander's most important game, given that this can either make top six or set us up potentially to bottom 4. I wouldn't even say an early lead is crucial as that counts for nowt with this squad has been demonstrated previously. 

44 minutes ago, StirlingDosser said:

We know Robbo is more than capable of grinding out results. He has a relatively good squad there now and we have absolutely no right to expect anything from the match.

I have to take issue with all of this...he's been St Mirren manager for 6 games and lost 5 of them. Their only win was a scraped 1-0 against bottom of the league Dundee, and the St Mirren fans are hunting him already. St Mirren are absolutely shite and any side with anything about them should absolutely be expecting a win at home. I fully expect us to lose but that has nothing to do with Robinson being capable of grinding our results or having a relatively good squad.

If we lose on Saturday it will be because we had absolutely nothing to offer, at home, against a dreadful side and were even worse.

• Like 2

The problem is that Robbo will know exactly how we set up (unless something changes). Punt it up the park from the back to their centre halves, who then head it back into midfield (we never seem to pick up second ball), they move it wide to either wing (because we set up narrow all the time), then a cross into the box, where we make one mistake and games a goner. Bring on subs with 5 minutes to go, with no real chance of changing the game. Don't play the same team twice. Does this sound familiar?

4 hours ago, Al B said:

I have to take issue with all of this...he's been St Mirren manager for 6 games and lost 5 of them. Their only win was a scraped 1-0 against bottom of the league Dundee, and the St Mirren fans are hunting him already. St Mirren are absolutely shite and any side with anything about them should absolutely be expecting a win at home. I fully expect us to lose but that has nothing to do with Robinson being capable of grinding our results or having a relatively good squad.

If we lose on Saturday it will be because we had absolutely nothing to offer, at home, against a dreadful side and were even worse.

They do have a decent squad though, they were doing well until Robinson took over. He’s just taken them backwards.

14 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

They do have a decent squad though, they were doing well until Robinson took over. He’s just taken them backwards.

Jim Goodwin did a very good job with them and earned himself a step up.   He always comes across well and seems very capable. 

As such the squad he assembled at St Mirren are capable of beating us. They are equal on points on merit.   Equally it's a very winnable game for us. 

No clue what the score will be. No clue who will be playing.  Suspect it will be a game low on quality - can only hope we get stuck in and get a glamour of hope for the rest of the season.