Motherwell v St Mirren 02/04/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Robinson has been basically losing most weeks for two years now, starting with our 2020 slump and continuing into his Morecambe and St Mirren spells.

I liked him as manager for us and its easy to get nostalgic given our current form but it seems like he's still making a lot of the same mistakes he always has.

We need to be winning this if we have any ambitions left of getting into the top 6.lose and st mirren will be above us and with aberdeen playing dundee they could easily be above us as well and if st johnstone win they will only be 6 behind us.i know that's a lot of ifs but we really need to get the finger out and get a win here.

A watershed game for our season. Our poor run has taken us to this point and if it continues weoukd find ourselves completely in the mire. People who simply think that our bad run is bound to end at some point are missing the obvious -that change is required because simply rinse and repeat isn't working. If the manager fails to address this, and doesn't get it right, then he will surely pay the price in the very near future. His penchant for continued team changes should not be misconstrued as attempts at change. It is simply akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

If we are looking at securing our future in the division for another year, and our form this year suggests anything else is pie in the sky, then a point will not be the worst outcome. The gap between us and eleventh place is useful, but I think we have to do more than simply rely on Dundee and St Johnstone to keep dropping points. The example of Hibs under Terry Butcher should be enough to make us realise that we are in a relegation dogfight.

• Like 1

The poor run of results will end. We'll pick up points,  reason being the quality of the opposition isn't any great shakes either. 

A key issue is the poor style of football that we've endured, has been consistent for 12 months. It was accepted when Lady Luck was on our side, not so much now.  

I don't see our approach changing. GAs job will be secure  for anything above 9th position.  If we end up top 6 many will be happy to keep him for more of the same.   Not a reality I like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The African said:

A watershed game for our season. Our poor run has taken us to this point and if it continues weoukd find ourselves completely in the mire. People who simply think that our bad run is bound to end at some point are missing the obvious -that change is required because simply rinse and repeat isn't working. If the manager fails to address this, and doesn't get it right, then he will surely pay the price in the very near future. His penchant for continued team changes should not be misconstrued as attempts at change. It is simply akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

If we are looking at securing our future in the division for another year, and our form this year suggests anything else is pie in the sky, then a point will not be the worst outcome. The gap between us and eleventh place is useful, but I think we have to do more than simply rely on Dundee and St Johnstone to keep dropping points. The example of Hibs under Terry Butcher should be enough to make us realise that we are in a relegation dogfight.

But that’s the exception rather than the rule, I still think relegation is extremely unlikely and let’s be honest we have supporters predicting it every season. I don’t know what the odds are at the bookies but I’m guessing that anyone that thinks we’re getting relegated likes a bet they would get very decent odds. Turning this around if this was Motherwell in the bottom two many would be predicting we were already doomed, yet some still believe Dundee and St Johnstone are going to have a miraculous change in form and start winning every other game.

• Like 1

Relegation might seem far fetched, thanks Dundee, but I would not be particularly confident going into a playoff on the back of recent performances. I think the post split fixtures could be very uncomfortable if we are less than six points clear of St Johnstone. Hence the importance of these next two fixtures. We have little confidence and no momentum, so all we can hope for is that the international break has, for once, done us a favour.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

The poor run of results will end. We'll pick up points,  reason being the quality of the opposition isn't any great shakes either.

Being as bad as or even better than St Mirren may not be enough. Since the turn of the year our luck has been abysmal. If St Mirren get lucky it won't matter how the 2 teams play.

4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Being as bad as or even better than St Mirren may not be enough. Since the turn of the year our luck has been abysmal. If St Mirren get lucky it won't matter how the 2 teams play.

Isn't it funny that the footballing Gods desert you when you are on a bad run. You cannot just rock up and think that a bad run will end. You need to do something to bring about better results.

14 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Chat of relegation is ridiculous. We are poor right now but are absolutely nowhere near a “relegation dogfight”.

I think that is a little naiive.

If we win our next 2 games we could end up top 6 and of course relegation chat does look ridiculous if you are then pushing for a European spot.

But given the form we are in would it really be a big surprise if we lost them both by the odd goal?

If we end up in the bottom 6 and St Johnstone get any sort of result in there remaining games then the gap really is too close for comfort. 

With all the bottom 6 teams having to llay each other, it could very quickly become a dogfight, so its not ridiculous at all.

I will feel far more comfortable if we can win tomorrow and give ourselves some breathing space.

• Like 2

We won’t be relegated this season. As poor as we have been/are we are not going to lose every single game between now and the end of the season and St.Johnstone & Dundee aren’t suddenly going to go on a crazy winning run either. It might be a bit less comfortable than we’d like for a couple of weeks and it certainly wont be pretty viewing but we’ll be fine.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

just dont let them score first    or    well hibeez we might turn into ,   just need to hope its not yaccies in the playoffs:whistle:

St Johnstone could be 6 behind us by this time tomorrow with another game against us to come. Mad to say we couldn't get dragged into this.

I don't think it will happen but as long as this form goes on we have to consider the possibility. 

• Like 1