Motherwell v St Mirren 02/04/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Surprised he’s persevering with Shields and Efford given how poor both of them were at McDiarmid. Would rather have seen Woolery and Tierney to be honest. A win today would really lift the mood and set up a massive one at Livi next week!

• Like 1

Closer to what I would have like to have seen. I'd have dropped wither Efford or Shields to play Tierney in the front of a diamond shaped midfield , but hey ho

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 2:10 PM, Yassin said:

Robinson has been basically losing most weeks for two years now, starting with our 2020 slump and continuing into his Morecambe and St Mirren spells.

I liked him as manager for us and its easy to get nostalgic given our current form but it seems like he's still making a lot of the same mistakes he always has.

One of the reasons I'm willing to give Alexander more time is I think we are still recovering from what Robinson did to our club - which was reduce it by several levels of professionalism.

The lack of quality and ability is there for all to see.  On those criteria we are no longer a top level club.  

Imagine Robinson's tenure without the players our youth development gifted to him.  Last seasons off form Allan Campbell would improve our midfield a thousand fold.

10 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

One of the reasons I'm willing to give Alexander more time is I think we are still recovering from what Robinson did to our club - which was reduce it by several levels of professionalism.

The lack of quality and ability is there for all to see.  On those criteria we are no longer a top level club.  

Imagine Robinson's tenure without the players our youth development gifted to him.  Last seasons off form Allan Campbell would improve our midfield a thousand fold.

Yeah I remember you making similar points at the time and a lot of people (including me) disagreeing but it's a view I'm starting to come around to.

Based on the last few years evidence it does seem like Robinson did well salvaging the McGhee season and building the 17/18 team but didn't really have any idea where to go afterwards and somewhat lucked out in Campbell,  Turnbull, Hastie and Scott appearing at the right time. To be fair he did do a decent job integrating all 4 but his track record since 2019 does suggest its not going to be repeated. 

2-0 St Mirren today then.

7 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Last seasons off form Allan Campbell would improve our midfield a thousand fold.

Wee Al was always going to be impossible to replace, at least with our budget. This is why our development of young players is so important. We need to bring through a quality of player that we could never afford to buy.

Just now, JSR said:

Connor Shields what a finish

Who'd have though that strikers can score goals when you give them the ball facing the oppositions goal. We should have tried that earlier in the season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Who'd have though that strikers can score goals when you give them the ball facing the oppositions goal. We should have tried that earlier in the season.

Radical tactics, but I approve.